Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on moving

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Question Advice on moving

Advertisements
    I'm gearing up to do my big move from Canada to the US to be with DF. I'm having trouble on deciding what would be the best decision with regards to moving my larger items.

Here's my dilemma. The drive is roughly 10-11hrs. My initial plan was to rent a uhaul and move all of my belongings (furniture and all my smaller items like kitchenware/clothing/etc/.) The rental alone will be about $1,000. Not including gas. So, adding another $500-$700 onto that.

I own my home, its a 2 bedroom, smaller home. But its completely furnished. Large secitional, TV & stand, bedroom furniture (not including bed or frame - mine is too old to consider keeping/selling), kitchen table, desk and a couple other side tables, etc. I'm assuming an approximate value of $1,000-1,200 IF I were to sell these items (used, 4-5yrs).

Here's the alternative... I just drive down with my step-father (who offered to drive alongside my uhaul with my animals either way) with my 'smaller' items, sell all of my furniture and buy new (or used) furniture when I arrive. I would then have the $$ from the sale of my furniture to use towards 'new' stuff.

I mean, I love shopping for 'new things'. But we won't be in NC for very long... and I'm worried about buying furniture for a home we will only live in for less than a year and THEN worry about those furnishings working in another new home. Gah.

I'm so done making decision this year. HALP.
  2. Senior Member
    Does your DF not have furniture?

Personally, I wouldn't pay to move all your furniture that isn't even worth that much. Just my opinion, but if you're only gonna get the cost of the rental out of the furniture I would just leave it behind if you can afford to do so. That way you can pick out new furniture together. It may be an issue to make it work in a new place but you'll have worry about that every time you move forever really.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Does your DF not have furniture?

Personally, I wouldn't pay to move all your furniture that isn't even worth that much. Just my opinion, but if you're only gonna get the cost of the rental out of the furniture I would just leave it behind if you can afford to do so. That way you can pick out new furniture together. It may be an issue to make it work in a new place but you'll have worry about that every time you move forever really.
    He does not. He lives in the barracks and can quite litteraly fit everything he owns in a couple of those green army duffles.

Yea, I mean... my furniture definitely cost a lot more when I bought it, but I was figuring that's what I could get for it rather quickly. I may have low-balled... but I don't think I would get more than $2,000 for all of it without having to hang onto it for awhile.

I will wait for DF to get home (3 more weeks!) to see what his take is on it... but I'm trying to get a lot of things dealt with without him and this one I'm just stuck on. I'd much rather not move all of my furniture and buy what we need when I get there - I just didn't know if that was me being silly when I have perfectly good furniture already.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by br33 View Post
    He does not. He lives in the barracks and can quite litteraly fit everything he owns in a couple of those green army duffles.

Yea, I mean... my furniture definitely cost a lot more when I bought it, but I was figuring that's what I could get for it rather quickly. I may have low-balled... but I don't think I would get more than $2,000 for all of it without having to hang onto it for awhile.

I will wait for DF to get home (3 more weeks!) to see what his take is on it... but I'm trying to get a lot of things dealt with without him and this one I'm just stuck on. I'd much rather not move all of my furniture and buy what we need when I get there - I just didn't know if that was me being silly when I have perfectly good furniture already.
    Yeah I get it. I mean I don't think it's silly, depending on how attached I was to the furniture I'd sell it and be done with it, you know? I really wouldn't want to drive a u-haul that distance either.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yea, not attached. I'm with you... I think I'm going to prepare to sell everything and run it by DF when he gets home (as to not blind side him ). I never wanted to spend $1k on a uhaul and another ridiculous amount on gas. I mean... I like my furniture... but its not made of gold or anything.
  6. Member
    I think I would look at what those items would cost to replace where you are going as a factor when trying to decide if they were worth it to move, more so than how much I could sell them for.
  7. New beginnings :)
    New beginnings :)
    If your furniture isn't worth a whole lot, I don't think that its worth bothering to haul it all that way and spending the money on a U Haul. I hauled all of my things across the country when I moved to CA, and it wasn't worth it. I should have saved the money and used it to buy decent used furniture when I arrived
    Philippians 4:13
  8. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    From personal experience, I'd say definitely sell it now. It was a total pain to move ALL my stuff myself. I had a 3bed/2bath townhome, and once I got it all out I realized most of it probably wasn't worth keeping. I want new furniture anyway, and now I have to deal with all of that here.

9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I would add what it will cost to move the furniture to what you could most likely get from selling everything and that is all you can spend on new furniture. If you can buy what you need with that amount then sell it before moving. If not, I'd wait on new furniture and just move what you have.
  10. Senior Member
    I'd sell it and by mostly super cheap (or Free on Freecycle) stuff and then spend the next few years buying nicer pieces one at a time as you find great prices, things you love, and money in the budget.
    Last edited by villanelle; 10-26-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast