Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: USAF Marriage/ Visiting Incirilik Base Regulations.

1. Regular Member

Smile USAF Marriage/ Visiting Incirilik Base Regulations.

Advertisements
    Hey guys, I'm new to all this...but it seems like a great place for advice and somewhere to vent! So un(fortunately?) I fell in love with an Airman. I love him to pieces and even though we've only been together since April this year, there's no doubt in our minds that we want to marry. I'm from the UK, and met him while he was still based here. However, he is now going to be moved over to Turkey to be based there.

I'm in my last year of college, so my last exam will be in May 2014 (which is why I can't move with him straight away, which honestly messes things up a bit ). Anyway guys, here are a few questions that I would love get some answers for, it would really give me peace of mind.

1. How easy is it to get Command Sponsorship in the USAF? (Basically, why could it be rejected?).
    2. How long does the process of getting Command Sponsorship usually take?
    3. What does Command Sponsorship actually involve for the dependent?
    4. What are the visiting regulations for non dependents visiting someone on Incirilik Base? (How long can I stay at a time, where would I stay, etc.)
    5. Generally speaking, is the area of Incirilik Base safe ATM?

Thank you
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabsxd View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to all this...but it seems like a great place for advice and somewhere to vent! So un(fortunately?) I fell in love with an Airman. I love him to pieces and even though we've only been together since April this year, there's no doubt in our minds that we want to marry. I'm from the UK, and met him while he was still based here. However, he is now going to be moved over to Turkey to be based there.

I'm in my last year of college, so my last exam will be in May 2014 (which is why I can't move with him straight away, which honestly messes things up a bit ). Anyway guys, here are a few questions that I would love get some answers for, it would really give me peace of mind.

1. How easy is it to get Command Sponsorship in the USAF? (Basically, why could it be rejected?).
    2. How long does the process of getting Command Sponsorship usually take?
    3. What does Command Sponsorship actually involve for the dependent?
    4. What are the visiting regulations for non dependents visiting someone on Incirilik Base? (How long can I stay at a time, where would I stay, etc.)
    5. Generally speaking, is the area of Incirilik Base safe ATM?

Thank you
    Well, basic command sponsorship is relatively simple. You go for mental, dental and physical health clearances. If you have any sort of medical issues there are some that are immediate disqualifies (I don't know what they are I just know there are some) and than others depend on if the base has room for you as a patient. So say you have something that you need to be seen by a dr every 6 weeks. Well first they will see if they have a dr at the accepting base to begin with. Than that doctors sees if he has room to take you on as a patient. If all is good and there are no other issues you are cleared.

BUT I am not sure how it works when you are a citizen of another country. There are other non american ladies who met and married while in England or other countries so they can tell you if there is anything more.

How long can it take? I would count on at least 6 weeks min. Sometimes longer, sometime shorter but 6 weeks is a good starting point.

What does it involve? Well it allows you to live in base housing, be seen on base at the drs, if you have kids allows them to go to the base schools, gets your husband money for you as a dependent living over there opposed to being in separate locations. It allows you to live in the country without worry of being deported as long as you are on his orders (vs just going over to live and staying on a tourist visa).

Questions 4 and 5 I don't know as I have never been to Turkey. If your boyfriend is over there he is best suited to find out and answer those questions.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It is all going to depend on the command if you can visit. He will need to put in a request for Turkey. Also, depending on how long he is there, is if you can be command sponsored. It use to be an 18 month unaccompanied, it is now 24 months. If he is already there on an 18 month and you have about 9 months left of school, I doubt they would move you there. JMO
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Command Sponsorship is simply the dependent is given 'permission' to be attached to/stationed at the base. This means base privileges and what not, and particularly if something were to happen and base was on lock down, you'd be allowed to remain or go to base.

I am not sure the 'rules' or what not for non US citizens. As far as denying, anything can happen, even the smallest, minute thing you'd think couldn't deny someone, could.

It can take anywhere from 6 weeks-6 months to get sponsorship, and it cannot begin until you are married.

Without command sponsorship you are essentially a visitor of the country, and you would abide by the rules as a visitor, NOT as a military member or dependent.
    As far as getting on base without CS, depends on the base and your status. If you are married with a dependent ID you'd be easier to get on than if you were just a girlfriend visiting (this would require him to get you on). AF doesn't allow SO's to sleep in the dorms, so that would be risky.

Someone who is stationed there can give more insight as to the area. Years ago (10+) it wasn't all that great if you were an American. A non US citizen there wasn't any issues... but again, that was eons ago.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    Do you have any ongoing medical conditions, even if they are under control and you aren't currently getting regular treatment (asthma, diabetes, history of cancer)? Do you have any recent mental health issues (depression, anxiety, etc.)? These are things that are likely to cause wrinkles in the process. That doesn't mean they will disqualify you, but they may. Even untreated dental problems can disqualify you (though generally you just have to get them fixed and then you'd be okay), so if you have any cavities or anything like that, get that squared away now. Also, you will probably need a current pap smear and to be up to date on all shots. Some countries require additional vaccinations as well.

Also, he needs to have enough time left on his orders to qualify for having them changed to accompanied orders. When he is supposed to leave there?

So, it can be rejected for your health or because his orders don't qualify (or he doesn't have enough time left) for having a sponsored dependent.

For visiting without being sponsored, you have to follow the rules that any other tourist does, so whatever the amount of time you are allowed to stay for whatever passport you hold would apply. Google tells me that UK passport holders can get a visa when they enter for 10 pounds, and they can stay for 90 days. It can get tricky though if he lives in dorms, because you probably aren't allowed to stay there with him, so you'd likely need to get a hotel (he could try to get a room at the hotel on base, if they have one).

They will have to amend his orders to "accompanied" and then you do the process others have listed.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Regular Member
    No ongoing medical conditions at all (thank god). He's a Senior Airman if this makes any difference (Someone told me that if he was below rank E3 it would almost certainly be denied). He is due to be based there for 15 months, which I know is an issue, so he would have to extend for at least a year for them to accept me living there. I could potentially finish my last year at a distance, marry him earlier, and just go back to UK to take the exams... Regarding visiting him, it looks like I will have to stay in a hotel... not great money wise, but oh well.
  7. Senior Member
    Also, keep in mind that extensions are not automatic. They have to need him for additional time in order to extend; they won't do it solely because he asks.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TBH.. I would wait until he arrives and he talks to his shirt and/or commander.

Only the commander can approve an extension and sponsorship. If the commander won't approve either, then you will be considered a visitor and have to do things as a visitor to a foreign country.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Regular Member
    @villanelle Darn, thats not so good to hear. Do you think it would make any difference if I moved over there ASAP (by this I mean like, December this year) so there would be 14 months of us married there?
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by gabsxd View Post
    @villanelle Darn, thats not so good to hear. Do you think it would make any difference if I moved over there ASAP (by this I mean like, December this year) so there would be 14 months of us married there?
    It will not make a difference. The timing is based on when the command sponsorship would be approved (usually).
    So, if you got married in December, the process would start in January, and take at least 6 weeks, which pushes you to Feb. That would mean he'd have less than 12 months left, and likely not allow for sponsorship approval.

As I said, he needs to be talking to his first shirt and commander to see if there is any remote possibility he'd get extended due to a sponsorship or the sort.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast