Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, we need help.

1. Mombie.
    Mombie.

Ok, we need help.

Advertisements
    I know this deals with pets, but we need serious advice.

We adopted our two kittens a few weeks ago. They have their own area, where the kids and dog can't go, they also have a big structure in the living room that's just for them. They get along wonderfully with our dog and overall doing really well.

The problem is my girls. Emma is trying to treat them as though they are actual babies and Maddie won't stop trying to pick them up. We are on it the second they do it but we can't get them to stop. We've started taking them away from the girls and putting them in our room for a while, but that only stops things for the rest of that day. DH got so mad earlier today that they were both put in timeout and the kittens will be spending the entire day in our room (mainly because all their stuff is in our bathroom and we wanted them to be able to run around ). I'm hoping not seeing the kittens all day does something but what else can we do?

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Sounds like you need to be a tough Momma and have a talk with your girls (I'm guessing from your siggie they are 2 and 5?) The two year old might be a little tough, because she's probably not going to understand right away, but if you explain to your five year old that she has to leave the cats alone, she should be able to understand, and if your five year old gets it, chances are, after a little time (taking the cats away, telling her no too, and seeing her sister not playing with the cats) she will understand too

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Maybe give the 2 year old a stuffed kitten to carry around instead?
  4. Senior Member
    I'm not sure what else you can do other than to keep correcting and redirecting their behavior. "We don't pick kitten up, but we can pet them like this or play with them like that"-type stuff.
  5. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Maddie has a stuffed cat, but it's not the same. I think the issue is they want to be little mommies and them trying to "take care" of the cats can be harmful.

They were told that picking the cats up can hurt them and, because they are scared, they are staying in our room today. They will be out all day with me tomorrow then I'll put them in our room if the girls don't listen again.

Thanks for the help, ladies! We'll keep reinforcing what's ok and not ok and maybe look into more "life like" toy cats.

6. Senior Member
    Would a tout that allowed the girls to play with the kittens in a special way help. My daughter loved to earn time for Laser play with our kitten.
  7. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    Maybe you can get them those baby dolls that need bottles and wet their diapers?

8. Senior Member
    Your 5 year old needs to understand a kitten is a CAT, not a baby. They don't want to be treated like babies. Maybe suggest other ways she can play with the kittens - string, bouncy ball, etc. And maybe you can teach them that they can only hold the kittens if they (the girls) are sitting on the floor, with the kittens in their laps. No carrying.
  9. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by roxs28 View Post
    Would a tout that allowed the girls to play with the kittens in a special way help. My daughter loved to earn time for Laser play with our kitten.
    Possibly! Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    Maybe you can get them those baby dolls that need bottles and wet their diapers?
    Hm. That's a good idea. They have tons of dolls but none that do those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorous View Post
    Your 5 year old needs to understand a kitten is a CAT, not a baby. They don't want to be treated like babies. Maybe suggest other ways she can play with the kittens - string, bouncy ball, etc. And maybe you can teach them that they can only hold the kittens if they (the girls) are sitting on the floor, with the kittens in their laps. No carrying.
    Emma is only 4, though I do agree she needs to learn. They have all those toys but the cats are much more interested in playing with us. That's one of the confusing parts for her, one of them follows the kids around and is all over what they're doing. While the other follows me.

Like I said, they're not allowed to be around the cats today and every time they pick them up, they lose the cat privilege. Hopefully that will help, along with the suggestions from you guys.

10. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Maybe just give them each a warning when they get up and thien just start doing time out?

I totally understand tho Luckily when we got Calla, she got smart real quick and hid some place for the day and only came out when the kids went to bed. It took a few weeks but the kids got over it. The babying thing, i get it. The girls, still to this day, put Calla in the grocery cart and push her around & we've had Calla for a year now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast