Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How long

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

Question How long

Advertisements
    do you give a new job before you decide whether or not you like it?

I recently started a new job that I was THRILLED about, but the reality so far just hasn't lived up to my expectations. I was planning on giving it about a month before I made a decision either way. Does that sound reasonable? At the same time, I kind of feel that if I don't think I will like this job now, maybe I shouldn't waste my (or the company's) time.

What factors would you take into consideration before making a decision? Distance, money, convenience, flexibility of hours, coworkers, management, etc.

*Just for the record, I'm not talking about a career-type of job that you can't necessarily give up and find another easily; the job I'm talking about is really easy to attain around here.

2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think a month - 6 weeks is pretty reasonable, depending on why you don't like the job. (Like if I thought the learning curve was too high, for example, I might give it longer and see if I like it better once I'm done with training and am comfortable with the job duties). If it's really easy to attain that kind of job around there I guess I would also be considering if those other types of jobs would also fail to live up to my expectations.
  3. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    I usually give myself about a month for a regular non-career job (i.e. waitressing, bartending etc...). For career jobs, I try to give it longer-- maybe 2-3 months to get fully trained and integrated. Then if I REALLY don't like it, I start putting my resume out there. I don't leave until I've secured another position.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  4. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I think a month - 6 weeks is pretty reasonable, depending on why you don't like the job. (Like if I thought the learning curve was too high, for example, I might give it longer and see if I like it better once I'm done with training and am comfortable with the job duties). If it's really easy to attain that kind of job around there I guess I would also be considering if those other types of jobs would also fail to live up to my expectations.
    What bothers me most is the lackadaisical attitude and disorganization that I have seen so far. I'm not sure if that's something that I can deal with long-term. While this isn't a career, I'd like to keep the same job for the next 2-2 1/2 years while I finish up my degree.
    As for the bold, I did have a similar job in another city that I just LOVED; I know great places are out there, it's just a matter of finding them.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    I usually give myself about a month for a regular non-career job (i.e. waitressing, bartending etc...). For career jobs, I try to give it longer-- maybe 2-3 months to get fully trained and integrated. Then if I REALLY don't like it, I start putting my resume out there. I don't leave until I've secured another position.
    That's exactly what it is. I'm glad someone else confirmed the month-ish timeline.

Thanks for the replies.

5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I lasted one month at my hotel job. I hated it SO much and the idea of them putting me on midnight shifts alone was enough for me to throw in the towel. A mo th sounds reasonable. I gave my 2 week notice at one month in.