Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Outdoor dog?

1. Almost done with college! !
    Almost done with college! !
    Blog Entries

Outdoor dog?

Advertisements
    So DB and I were discussing getting a dog after we are both financially stable after moving in. He wants to go by a pound and adopt. I am all for it except he wants a mutt. I'm allergic to dogs but have done okay with hypoallergenic dogs from infancy. My concern was when I pointed out my allergy to DB he said it would be an outdoor dog. I personally have never owned an outdoor dog. I feel like it'd be mean to do that to an animal. And plus I'm allergic enough it will instantly bother my allergies and leave me congested and give me headaches for days. How do y'all feel about outdoor dogs? I know when I can I'm buying my own Italian Greyhound. I just feel like I can't and shouldn't dictate DBs choice in dogs. Idk. Thoughts anyone?
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I could never live with an outdoor dog. Boyfriend, roommate, whatever. I just couldn't.especially because my dogs would be inside, making the outdoor pup even more sad and confused. I am 100% a mutt lover and shelter supporter but in this instance of you know what breed you can tolerate I would look at breed specific rescues.

Also, for me this would be a make or break issue since I take my dogs very seriously.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I think it really depends on the personality of the dog and the outdoor circumstances. Also some pounds will not let you adopt it if you plan on keeping it outside. There are some outdoor dogs that I really feel bad for: the one that my upstairs neighbors have that is confined to a 8X8 balcony, and DH's parents' 2 dogs. They live in Phoenix. The dogs live outside 24-7-365 and do not have trees to hide under for shade. They have a small shed/canopy thing and a bowls for food and water and that's it. Also no one ever walks or plays with them (that I've ever seen). I didn't even know they HAD dogs the first few times I visited because they're not a part of the family.

However not all outdoor dogs are neglected. I think if you have a nice yard, a well trained pup, a reasonable climate, and lots of time and attention to give, it can work out.

I understand wanting a dog you won't be allergic to. You could always make several visits with the dog and see if you react to it before deciding.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. Senior Member
    I personally would not have a strictly outside dog. They are all to to often forgotten after a time. They are lonely and don't get enough social interaction most of the time. I can't say all the time but all to often I have seen them outside barking or whining for someone to be with them. dogs are a social "pack" animal and I personally see it as cruel to lock them away from their pack.

My dd also has a problem with dogs, with pretty much the same symptoms. If she continues to be around them she becomes ill to the point of ending up at the doctor or the emergency room.

It isn't worth your health to have an allergen constantly bombarding you. I know you don't wish to "dictate" anything upon your Db but he needs to understand that he needs to consider your health and whether it is worth making you ill. Your decision will come if he decides to go and get this dog and whether it is worth your health to stay in such an environment.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I could never live with an outdoor dog. Boyfriend, roommate, whatever. I just couldn't.especially because my dogs would be inside, making the outdoor pup even more sad and confused. I am 100% a mutt lover and shelter supporter but in this instance of you know what breed you can tolerate I would look at breed specific rescues.

Also, for me this would be a make or break issue since I take my dogs very seriously.
    This is how I feel about it, too. Hopefully you two can work it out.
  6. Almost done with college! !
    Blog Entries
    Lobster I'm a firm supporter of shelters as well. I want my dogs to be apart of the family. I would love to own a pittbull but my allergies wouldn't let me. DB and I have like a year and a half to discuss it so I'm gonna try and fight against an outdoor dog. It jusf doesn't set well with me. I want my puppies in my house at night so I can protect them if needed. But Rocket that is good advice. I could for sure do visits cause I'm going to especially if we get my dog first. I mean DB has also stated after marriage we need to get a dog before we start trying to have a kid cause he doesn't want to be put in the position of getting a puppy while taking care of a newborn with the training and special attention they require then. Which I agree with.
  7. Almost done with college! !
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback ladies. Can anyone give me pros and cons? I know some ppl who have outdoor dogs that are family and others kennel their dogs outside cause where I live their hunting dogs.
  8. Senior Member
    Unless I live on a farm I'd never have an outdoor dog. My dogs have more couch priveleges than me.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  9. Senior Member
    What if you move somewhere you can't have them outside? Outdoor dogs in Alaska? Not really easy. Some places overseas it would almost be impossible. I don't think it's a real viable option with the military lifestyle. You have to live in the right place with enough land in my opinion for outdoor dogs and to have it be good for the dog.
  10. Almost done with college! !
    Blog Entries
    Good point Stephanie. However DB has been out of the military for about two years as far as I can remember. Hahaha my memory sucks. And as far as right now he's not looking to get back in. But we're currently saving for a house in the country.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast