Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Best tactic in this siutation?

1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries

Best tactic in this siutation?

Advertisements
    I got home from the humane society last Tuesday, went out and got a load of laundry started, I heard a cat meowing, didn't think anything of it, we have houses all around us and I didn't see one. Went to go switch the laundry over an hour later, and I was greeted by not 1, but 3 6-12 month old kittens wanting to get in somewhere for the night. I honestly thought they had been dumped, looked up the non-emergency number for the sheriff and called. It was late, we have people that work all kind of hours and all I could think was that they are going to get run over. The sheriff said I was one of 4 people who had called about them because they'd been going to the doors with lights on and meowing, asked if I could contain them and they would have animal control get them in the morning, so I contained them in the laundry room, where they would be easy to get. Go to get the laundry later and they are gone, I assumed that they belonged to someone in the complex and they noticed their cats were corralled in the laundry room. I had planned on putting a sign on the door alerting other residents to what was going on so they wouldn't be let out on accident and they would know it was being taken care, but they were gone before I could.

Well ever since I still see them out, they're well cared for, but they aren't contained. I understand that sometimes they get out, but seriously? Tonight they were clawing up my screen door wanting in. I could have ignored it, but Lady saw it and of course went nuts cause there were "babies" out there and she thought she needed to take care of them. It's getting cold out and they are hiding and playing under the cars in the parking lot.

I thought about putting something up in the laundry room asking that who ever has the 3 young kittens please keep them in, because there is worry about them being hit by a car or something else. I'm sincerely doing them out of concern for their welfare. Is that the best way or should I do something else? At this point I know it's not going to get any better if they didn't figure out that something was up last week.
  2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I would try to contain them somewhere like your bathroom so animal control could get them in the morning.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    I would try to contain them somewhere like your bathroom so animal control could get them in the morning.
    If it's a public laundry room, no one would have known to be careful when opening the door or anything. If you want to leave them in the laundry room at least put them in a crate or box of some sort with a note, but I agree that somewhere like your own bathroom would be the thing to do until morning.
  4. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    They're clearly not strays though, cause they're not out all the time and they appear well taken care of. I'm saying put a polite note in the laundry room asking whoever they belong to keep them inside. I'd feel bad calling animal control when I know they belong to someone and other than being loose aren't neglected.

I told DB last night I understand it's hard to keep cats that age in when they want to be out, went through it with Mowgli, but when you're in an apartment complex you just can't let them out and loose like they are.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Do you know if the leash/containment laws in your jurisdiction apply to felines as well as canines?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Also, outside of local regs, what are the regs for your apt complex regarding containment/control of pets?
  7. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Also, outside of local regs, what are the regs for your apt complex regarding containment/control of pets?
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Do you know if the leash/containment laws in your jurisdiction apply to felines as well as canines?
    I'm going to find our lease and see what the rules are for containing but I'm pretty sure they have to be under supervision when out if they are contained, like on a lead or something.

As to laws I'm not sure, how would I find out?
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Your local AC officer should be able to give you leash law information.