Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: School schedule, ugh!

1. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.

School schedule, ugh!

Advertisements
    I feel so scrambled. No matter what I do, I can not seem to keep up with school and it is so freaking frustrating Some assignment is always slipping by even though I try to keep up with my classes as best as possible. My biggest problem seems to be figuring out the due dates from my school website. For example, the Module for my English class says the assignments are due on October 6 but I just checked the details and saw a draft was due on Sept 23. Don't know how I missed it but I'm kicking myself right now.

How do you keep track of assignments? I don't have really have problems remembering the assignments that I'm aware of, but it's the scouring the class' websites thing that's killing me.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. Senior Member
    Honestly, I use either a color-coded planner or a color coded gmail calendar, depending on your preferences. I go through each class's syllabus/website one by one and write down EVERY assignment, test, due date, etc. I also write down draft due dates, data collection dates, etc--basically anything that I will ever have to turn in or complete goes down on the calendar. If it's a physical calendar, I highlight it with it's own special color. I repeat this process for every single class so that I have a master plan for my semester.

If I use google calendar or something like that, I have a different color for each subject and I make due dates an "all day event" so it shows up at the top of the calendar. The idea is the same--just glancing at a day, I can see what is due and for which class, just by the color.
  3. Senior Member
    I agree with JaneSays. Even though it does take time, I always went through the syllabus and place everything on the calendar. Once I finished I either drew a line through it or wrote completed.

Use whatever calendar system that will work best for you. I'm old school so I used one that hung up that I looked at daily and a pocket one I carried with me so I could also add study group time if I had one. That way if someone asked if I had time to study or do something else I could pull out the calendar and know right away if I could. Having the small pocket calendar let me add dates that my professor may add during class time. Just make sure that you transfer everything from the small calendar to the big one.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  4. Senior Member
    I take a day where I go through every syllabus and put the assignment due dates and exam dates on sticky notes and hang them on the wall. I take the sticky note down once I have turned in the homework or completed the exam.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." -John Milton
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    I agree with JaneSays. Even though it does take time, I always went through the syllabus and place everything on the calendar. Once I finished I either drew a line through it or wrote completed.

Use whatever calendar system that will work best for you. I'm old school so I used one that hung up that I looked at daily and a pocket one I carried with me so I could also add study group time if I had one. That way if someone asked if I had time to study or do something else I could pull out the calendar and know right away if I could. Having the small pocket calendar let me add dates that my professor may add during class time. Just make sure that you transfer everything from the small calendar to the big one.
    Yep, this is exactly what I did too. I used Excel and made a color-coded document with all assignments, tests, exams, etc. listed in the Syllabus. For ever class. Then I just always kept the document pulled up so that I'd see it every time I went on the computer.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

6. Senior Member
    Online classes can be tricky. I would look for an overall syllabus or if you can't find one, email your professor and ask. It sounds like your problem is a technology related one, not an actual problem keeping up. After you find the dates, like others have said, create a calender you can see every day to know where you're at. It's what I did.