Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: work keeps giving me too many hours.tried asking to get less.....any suggestions?

1. sassypants
    sassypants

work keeps giving me too many hours.tried asking to get less.....any suggestions?

Advertisements
    I work at an awesome camping store. I love it. It is about as good as it will get as far as retail goes, and my old store before I moved up north was very good about accommodating my schedule as a student. During school I like to work about 10-15 hours, and when I transfered, this is the hours that were negotiated. But Since then, My hours have been creeping up. I have had ONE week this semester where I had 15.5 hours, and even with that, I ended up working 21 because of sick calls.

I told my manager last week "Thank you for the compliment in giving me hours, I am happy my work is satisfactory, but I really am here to be more of a student"- something like that

then this week, I end up with 24 hrs on my schedule.

My major is hard, My classes are hard. I am repeating a class this semester and I really need to master it. between my two jobs I have had no time for any clubs that are critical to pre-professional success. My other job does not bother me as much because it is from home and I study during breaks anyway, but my goal is to be working in my industry a semester or two before I graduate, or maybe join AFROTC (I am a Chemical Engineering Major). My major is ONLY going to get harder. I want straight As this semester, and this is going to be the easiest semester I ever have again. I enjoy the money, as it is less then I have to take out in loans or find in scholarship, but the CSU is not by any means unaffordable.

I just

I dont want to quit, I LOVE working there. I am friends with all the people, (and I never ever want to give up my discount ) and its a great way to unwind from academics. I just cannot keep working nearly as much as they schedule me. Any ideas on how to bring it up again?

/vent/advice seeking

yes I know this is an epic first world problem and I should be grateful for having two jobs, but It is really affecting my ability to develop in the industry I want.
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  2. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Is there away you can avoid being the go-to person for sick calls? Its sounding like that's where the bulk of your surprise hours are coming from.
  3. sassypants
    sassypants
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    Is there away you can avoid being the go-to person for sick calls? Its sounding like that's where the bulk of your surprise hours are coming from.
    that is the sad thing, im not the go to person for sick calls, there are just so many lately, everony is taking the brunt. Most of my hours are schduled though. 17-24 hrs a week
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  4. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggleWiggle~ View Post
    that is the sad thing, im not the go to person for sick calls, there are just so many lately, everony is taking the brunt. Most of my hours are schduled though. 17-24 hrs a week
    That does suck. They have been dropping like flies over here too!

Have you hinted that maybe she needs to hire another person that would have similar hours to you? Someone in your program need a little money on the side?
  5. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    When people call in sick, do you HAVE to work for them?

life's a party, rock your body
  6. Almost done with college! !
    Almost done with college! !
    Blog Entries
    I would sit down with my boss and have my school schedule out along with what I want to do including my schedule from my other job and piece it together for them. And let them know you love working there but realistically this is what you're working with and what you need to get done or into by this this semester. Maybe giving them a more hands on understanding you can you help them realize it's not only unfair but unrealistic for you to work that many hours.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post
    When people call in sick, do you HAVE to work for them?
    This. I work at a daycare and they call me from time to time when someone is sick or can't come in and they always ask not demand. And if I can't come in, they don't get mad.
  8. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    I just went through this exact same thing! Is there a different manager or a regional manager you can bring it up with? I would just try being firm and persistent about it. Part-time jobs are not worth getting behind in school. Do you have a review coming up or anything like that? The only thing you can do really is keep asking.
  9. Senior Member
    I'd start saying no to most of the sick calls. I'd make myself available once in a while because it looks bad to never help out, but the rest of the time, I'd have a pre-planned lie (study group, doctor's appointment, friend has my car, etc.) so I could easily and believably tell them I wasn't available.

Is there anyone at work who wants more hours? You could ask around and then see if you could give your hours to someone who wants them, if your supervisor would be okay with that. But it might be that no one else wants more hours either, or that you are only only one available which is why they keep giving them to you. But trading is something you could look into.

Beyond that, there's really not much more you can do. Sadly, with jobs, employers can mostly dictate the terms.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    It kind of sounds like they might be short people. My husband is a manager and it is a freaking nightmare when people call out or quit or just plain don't show up. I know he relies a lot on a few people who are super dependable. I would bring it up again and maybe put it in writing. It might be possible that they just didn't remember when making the schedule.I know DH just basically saves the one from the week before and then tweaks it as needed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast