Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I approach this nicely

1. Banned
    Banned

How do I approach this nicely

Advertisements
    Let me say before I begin that I am an extremely non-confrontational person and I have a problem with a fellow teacher and don't know how to bring it up to her in a nice way.

I teach 1st grade and this year, our school got another teacher who is next door to my classroom. Our classes are separated by an interior door. I am in my 2nd year of teaching, this lady has 30 years on me, and constantly butts into my business and tells me how to run my classroom, but whatever. That's not my problem. She is also very pushy and even though she just started at our school, she seems to think she has some kind of authority over me.

Anyway, as I said, our classroom are separated by an interior door, and she opens said door at least once between the start of school and recess, and between recess and lunch time, and tells me to watch her class so she can go out and smoke "real quick" Well, there is no "real quick" because smoking is not permitted on campus, so she has to walk off campus, and it takes a good 10 minutes for her to return. I am getting extremely tired of it. I have 26 kids in my class, she has 28, so for 20 or 30 minutes (depending how many breaks she chooses to take that day) a day, I have to watch a total of 54 kids. I could be in the middle of a spelling test and she barges in ("hey, I will be back, watch my kids, ok?")

I want to be able to tell her in a nice way that I can't watch her class, it's a liability issue. What if either one of mine or one of her kids get hurt while she's away? Heck, I sometimes have to pee really bad during class time and I just suck it up and wait until recess. I know smoking doesn't compare to potty breaks but this isn't fair to the kids either.

I just need suggestions on how to approach it without sounding like a complete bitch. As a last resort I will talk to our principal but I would rather just resolve this between us. Or try to at least.
  2. Regular Member
    That's really tough. She sounds a little old school and still seems to think that that kind of behavior is acceptable. I'm sorry but it is her responsibility to control her habits in order to do her job. I know you don't want to get the principal involved yet, but maybe you should address it as a concern to another administrator. Maybe just in casual conversation or something so that at least they have knowledge of it if the problem continues. I hope this was at least a little helpful. Good luck!
  3. Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    I think I would tell her that I wasn't comfortable watching her class while she smoked considering it involved her leaving campus. Its a much different thing than watching them while she's down the hall making copies or using the bathroom. It IS a liability. And I'm sure admin would not approve of it. I'd just pull her aside after school one day and tell her "while I don't mind watching your class every now and then for urgent issues, I'm not comfortable watching them when you leave the campus to smoke and I don't think I can continue to do it"
  4. Senior Member
    Next time she does it tell her that sorry you are unable to watch her kids for her to leave school to go smoke. I personally would mention to administration in the office. Can the door between your class be locked?

Me personally if my kid was in her class and I found out that she was leaving several times a day to go smoke I would be upset. Smoke if you want, that is your business before and after school, but during school your business is to take care of my kid's education.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Next time she does it tell her that sorry you are unable to watch her kids for her to leave school to go smoke. I personally would mention to administration in the office. Can the door between your class be locked?

Me personally if my kid was in her class and I found out that she was leaving several times a day to go smoke I would be upset. Smoke if you want, that is your business before and after school, but during school your business is to take care of my kid's education.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I would go above her head. That's so irresponsible and you could get in trouble should something happen to one of her students. Protect yourself.
  7. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post

I would be beyond pissed if I found out my child's teacher was leaving during class time, multiple times a day, for something that is not a necessity.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would be VERY pissed if my kids teacher was leaving for a smoke during class. SO not appropriate.
  9. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    I would be VERY pissed if my kids teacher was leaving for a smoke during class. SO not appropriate.
    I agree. She's there to teach and supervise those kids, not get her nicotine fix. I would simply stop her and kindly tell her that you don't feel you can safely supervise both classrooms. If she asks again, I would take it up with your supervisor.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  10. Senior Member
    I'm preeeetty sure the principal would NOT like her smoking during class time!!! I don't know how you should tell her but def tell her. Try and resolve it. I worked as a TA once for a kindergarden class and the teacher didn't think I was doing my job right...so instead of talking to me about it, she had me watch her class for like 30 minutes while they had a "meeting" about me (that I didn't know about)-I just thought she had something important to do! I would have much rather have been approached by HER and guided than the PRINCIPAL and made to feel like a chastised student. Principal should DEF be last result. sorry you're going through this....doesn't seem right.

Visit My Fitness Like Page for fitness tips and inspiration and Visit My New Fitness Blog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast