Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: His grandma Passed

1. Regular Member

His grandma Passed

Advertisements
    Long Story Short, I got a phone call yesterday that his gma passed. Another LSS although I am his long term girlfriend I am the closest person to him so anyway I called the Red Cross and got the message through. I called back to see if the message made it, and they said it did. But I thought he would be given time to call and I checked my messages and nothing I was told by Red Cross that he may be given 2 hours to greive and make a phone call home, but that they were not 100% sure since a grandmother is not considered immediate.
    So my question is what is the norm for situations like this. I assumed that if he were given time that he would call me....? Alot may say well wouldn't he call his family? Uuuuumm probably not, he told them he was leaving like the day before.

Just curious
  2. Senior Member
    He will most likely be given time to call his family. I mean he might be able to call you, but since they are related to his grandma it makes more sense to call them.

But as stated, as she is his grandma and not a mom or dad she is not considered immediate family. Which means he would not be allowed to come home (generally and there are always exceptions to the rule) etc. Basically nothing changes for him.
  3. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    When my grandma was in ICU we made a call to the red cross and my brother called us within the hour to let us know his flight information, I was fairly quick right after we actually got the message through to him. But he was in the states, not sure where your DB is.

4. Regular Member
    My friend's hubs got to go home for his grandma passing on Emergency leave, but that was because she was like his mom. He listed her as his emergency contact and everything because she raised him without adopting him. He's in Korea btw.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    He will most likely be given time to call his family. I mean he might be able to call you, but since they are related to his grandma it makes more sense to call them.

But as stated, as she is his grandma and not a mom or dad she is not considered immediate family. Which means he would not be allowed to come home (generally and there are always exceptions to the rule) etc. Basically nothing changes for him.
    This. Since he's in basic most likely his DS had him call his family, not you, since the reason he needed to get a phone call was in regards to a family emergency. Have you asked his parents or a sibling if they've heard from him?
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysgal View Post
    This. Since he's in basic most likely his DS had him call his family, not you, since the reason he needed to get a phone call was in regards to a family emergency. Have you asked his parents or a sibling if they've heard from him?
    I slightly mentioned in the OP he is not close almost estranged from his family. I actually got the call from his friend who found out through someone else. He speaks to his family rarely (long drawn out story) My mom knew months before he left....his parents days maybe hours for his mom. However the day I got confirmation that he did get the message I also got two letters from him....obviously written before he found this out. I understand that I am merely his girlfriend, but in all honesty I am his family. But I get, understand, and respect the way the army views GF, however in this case it makes things hard. While we planned to get married before the idea of the army came along I don't want either of us to rush so that the army respects our bond....but then again I can see why people do it.
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Honestly, nobody but him knows who he called (if anyone) and why. Normally I would think he would get some time to make a call. Also people handle grief in different ways. It could very well be that even though he is estranged and it seems out of character for him, he may have wanted to reach out to his family after he found out.

I hope you hear from him soon.
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Honestly, nobody but him knows who he called (if anyone) and why. Normally I would think he would get some time to make a call. Also people handle grief in different ways. It could very well be that even though he is estranged and it seems out of character for him, he may have wanted to reach out to his family after he found out.

I hope you hear from him soon.
    Well I did get two letters from him, prior to him finding out. Yeah I hope he does reach out to his family as I desire for them to be closer and have always supported that. He confirmed the date of his graduation that he told me while he was in reception and everything. I would love for his family to be there. And yeah he does not handle things in a cookie cutter way. He very well would have wanted to train harder than to sit and cry.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msoctober View Post
    Well I did get two letters from him, prior to him finding out. Yeah I hope he does reach out to his family as I desire for them to be closer and have always supported that. He confirmed the date of his graduation that he told me while he was in reception and everything. I would love for his family to be there. And yeah he does not handle things in a cookie cutter way. He very well would have wanted to train harder than to sit and cry.
    Letters are much different than phone calls. They can write letters to whomever they want. And as long as they have time they can write how every many they want.