Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm worried my friend may take her own life *Update #14*

1. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries

I'm worried my friend may take her own life *Update #14*

Advertisements
    One of my friends of about 16 years is going through a really rough time right now, her girlfriend committed suicide in July of this year and since then D has been threatening to do it herself. She posted this facebook status this morning: "I can't seem to get a grip on this. I may live to see 28, but don't expect me to be around much longer. It's in my blood, it's in my cards. I'll be with her sooner than later. I love you all."

D is a very up and down type person, she can either be super happy or sink to very low and she tends to sink more than be happy. After her gf took her life D has just spiraled downward. Her family has tried to convince her to move back to where we're from and be closer to them but she insists on staying in Austin where everything reminds her of S (her gf). I didn't see the status until this morning otherwise I would've been driving to Austin last night, I can't leave work without losing my job (litterally) and now I'm worried sick about her. I've tried calling and texting her with no answer, I've asked a couple friends in the area if they've heard from her/can go and see her but no one has answered yet. I reached out to her sister and haven't heard back...

What else can I do here? I mean short of calling 911 I dont know what to do. I don't know if I should call 911 or not.

Geez I'm going nuts!
    Last edited by April Lynne; 09-27-2013 at 10:19 AM.

2. Senior Member
    Call some friends to see if they have heard. If not call the police (not 911 I don't think) for a welfare check. Tell them everything about the girlfriend dying, the facebook status, that you think she is serious and would do it etc. They should send a sheriff over to check on her.

I am sorry your friend is going through this. I hope she can get some help.
  3. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Call some friends to see if they have heard. If not call the police (not 911 I don't think) for a welfare check. Tell them everything about the girlfriend dying, the facebook status etc. They should send a sheriff over to check on her.
    So call the non-emergent line?

Banned
    If you have her address you can call her local police station (non emergency line), tell them what's going on, that you are unable to contact her and that she's been talking about suicide. Ask them if they can go to her place and do a police welfare check.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Agreed with Southern and Be-Bo - lots of that she is okay and to you while you wait
  6. Senior Member
    Call the non-emergency line, explain, and ask them to do a welfare check. ASAP.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Be-Bo View Post
    If you have her address you can call her local police station (non emergency line), tell them what's going on, that you are unable to contact her and that she's been talking about suicide. Ask them if they can go to her place and do a police welfare check.
    I called and explained what was going on, gave them her address and they said they'd do a welfare check and have her call me. I really hope she isn't mad at me for this but I would feel horrible if I'd stood by and done nothing!

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by FinallyMrsG View Post
    I called and explained what was going on, gave them her address and they said they'd do a welfare check and have her call me. I really hope she isn't mad at me for this but I would feel horrible if I'd stood by and done nothing!
    Even if she is mad initially (and that is a very real possibility), you know you have done the right thing and at some level know that she will know too.
  9. Moderator

You did the right thing.

She might not see it that way, at first, but you're being a good friend!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Even if she is mad initially (and that is a very real possibility), you know you have done the right thing and at some level know that she will know too.
    Agree. She probably will be mad (lets be honest who wants the cops to come and check on us). But once she realizes how her posts sounds, how people couldn't reach her etc etc and she is over the anger she will thank you. She will understand that she has friends and family love her and want to help.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast