Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Am I being irrational?

1. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries

Question Am I being irrational?

Advertisements
    Okay, so I need to know if I'm just being irrational or if I have a reason to be irked. I asked my mom about 10 days ago if she could watch YDD for a few hours in the 24th so I can make a hair appointment. She said yes, no problem. So, today while at the store, she goes "I might be watching the boys(she babysits for a family friend a few times a week) tomorrow so if I do, you can just drop her there and we will bring her to my house". Well, the only way that will happen is if YDD rides in a NO BACK BOOSTER. In my car, she's in a 5pt harness(she's 4 years old), and even in the harness, she doesn't sit still. Now, I won't know if I have a babysitter until tomorrow morning when she finds out if she's watching the boys..because I REFUSE to let YDD ride in a booster, never mind a backless booster. I'm a little irked at my mother for even considering watching the boys, when she already said she would watch YDD. Irrational or called for?

I would have no problem installing my seat in the car she would be riding in, but the car won't be there for me to put the seat into, and I don't trust either person (my mom or the person she babysits for) to correctly install the seat. My mother doesn't drive, so she gets driven home by the person she babysits for. I would be dropping YDD off at that house around 11:30, and she would be heading home around 12-12:30.

2. Senior Member
    I, personally, wouldn't let my daughter ride in a no back right now...but both my older kids did at 4 (standards were different back then). If you're safer in a 5 pt then that needs to be what happens. However, I don't think your mother was doing this to make you mad so it might be good to take a step back and breathe. It might suck but maybe rescheduling your appointment for a time when you KNOW she'll be at home will be a better alternative. I'm sure she's just trying to be helpful and not trying to make you upset.

Visit My Fitness Like Page for fitness tips and inspiration and Visit My New Fitness Blog
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I wouldn't be okay with it. I check Aubs' carseats before she can ride in them. Expiration date, making sure it's RF, correctly installed, harnesses adjusted to the correct tightness, etc. It's one of the reasons that DH is the only person who has driven her without me inspecting the seat first.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KissTheRain View Post
    I, personally, wouldn't let my daughter ride in a no back right now...but both my older kids did at 4 (standards were different back then). If you're safer in a 5 pt then that needs to be what happens. However, I don't think your mother was doing this to make you mad so it might be good to take a step back and breathe. It might suck but maybe rescheduling your appointment for a time when you KNOW she'll be at home will be a better alternative. I'm sure she's just trying to be helpful and not trying to make you upset.
    The thing is, she was completely free for tomorrow. Just today she said she might babysit for the other people. I know she's not doing to irritate me, but it did irritate me a bit. I wouldn't have a problem with her babysitting someone else, if I had a chance to install YDD's car seat in the car she will be traveling in. That's really the ONLY thing that is bothering me.

Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I wouldn't be okay with it. I check Aubs' carseats before she can ride in them. Expiration date, making sure it's RF, correctly installed, harnesses adjusted to the correct tightness, etc. It's one of the reasons that DH is the only person who has driven her without me inspecting the seat first.
    I'm the same way. Both girls know where the chest clip goes, how tight the straps need to be, etc. But I HAVE to install the seat first. It's really quick for me to do, but for someone else, it can be a bit frustrating and they probably wouldn't get it correct.

5. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Can you push your appointment back to 1pm? Then just drop your daughter off with your mother at her house after she's done watching the other kids?

6. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FinallyMrsG View Post
    Can you push your appointment back to 1pm? Then just drop your daughter off with your mother at her house after she's done watching the other kids?
    Not really, because I have to get ODD off the bus around 3:15, and that's cutting it WAY too close since it usually takes about 2 hours or so to do my hair.

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Can she not watch them at her house? I mean if it's safe for your 4 year old I imagine it'd be safe for them too. It might be slightly more convenient for the other mother, but it's much safer for your daughter, and she did offer sitting for you before them.
  8. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MissyMe View Post
    Can she not watch them at her house? I mean if it's safe for your 4 year old I imagine it'd be safe for them too. It might be slightly more convenient for the other mother, but it's much safer for your daughter, and she did offer sitting for you before them.
    The other child naps, and my mothers apartment is barely big enough for her to babysit YDD, never mind a 17 month old. That was the thing thing I said as well.

9. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    You're not being irrational. And I'd be super annoyed that she agreed to watch them if she already agreed to watch your daughter because either way, someone has to either find another babysitter or cancel plans. And that's not fair to you since you had talked to her first.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  10. I was a GREAT mom... until I had kids.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    You're not being irrational. And I'd be super annoyed that she agreed to watch them if she already agreed to watch your daughter because either way, someone has to either find another babysitter or cancel plans. And that's not fair to you since you had talked to her first.
    I would be fine and not aggravated if I could install YDD's seat beforehand, but it's just not a possibility.