Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: House help! Please!!

1. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl

House help! Please!!

Advertisements
    So, Im hoping to get ideas from you guys. Some background...

We moved to a totally new place about a month ago. Our stuff is still in storage waiting for an address for our last move from the military. We plan on staying here while DH goes to school full time. He applies to the school this fall and will start full time next fall; in the meantime he's taking CC classes. He should have no problem getting into the school and he'll have 3-4 years until his degree is done.

We HATE our apartment. We did a sublease, so we have until the end of November on the lease. Cannot stand living here. We know we're going to buy a house but I dont think we're ready now, I think we need 4 or so months before we're ready to really look. We can't wait that long to get our stuff, living with the bare minimum is driving me nuts. But we are really suck on our options... here they are

1- stay out the lease then go month to month, then try to buy in 4-6 months. Pros; cheapest option, rent here is $900/month, close to DH's CC. Cons; we hate living in an apt, we will need a storage unit for the overflow of our things that wont fit here. Did I mention we cant stand it here?

2- find somewhere to sublease and double pay. Move to a rental house in October with a 6 month lease (if we can find one!). Cons- we'll still have to pay out the lease here (its cheaper to do that than cancel the lease), plus rental houses are expensive, a minimum $1600/month. So over the 6 months we'll pay appx $6500 more than option 1. Its a huge amount of money, we can afford it but knowing that it could be going to a down payment makes me sad. BUT we'd be living somewhere we loved rather than a place that makes us miserable.

3- try to buy now. I think we need to sell my rental house before they'll give me a loan, but I have NO idea how that would work. So Im not sure they'd give us a loan. Plus I will just be starting my new job, with a break of employment for the last year. I make good money, have good credit, we have a decent down payment, etc, the bankrate type calculators say I should be approved for twice the amount we are looking to spend. The biggest BUT here... DH hasn't been accepted to the school here.

What would you do? Any other ideas?

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
    yeah, after a very long time of not using it I am trying to blog again!
  2. Senior Member
    Why can't you stand the current place? I'm tempted to say stay where you are, but curious as to why you hate it so much before I give a definite vote!
  3. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Why can't you stand the current place? I'm tempted to say stay where you are, but curious as to why you hate it so much before I give a definite vote!

be cool.
  4. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    Reasons we dont like it... There is music that plays at the pool all.the.time, and we're right next to it so we constantly have music, the same top 20 country songs on repeat until 10pm unless it messes up and then its on all night long. The apartment is dark, it feels so depressing. 1 bathroom... there's some things I'd really love to keep a mystery and this is making it hard! 1 bedroom, makes it difficult for DH when he needs to do his homework plus no room for guests to stay. Location is too far from everything, it takes 30 minutes to get to most places we want to go and doing that daily isn't fun. The people here are not our age and making it harder to make friends. I think that covers the highlights. No yard for dogs.

Pros; cheap, clean and safe area.

Adventures In Love
    Follow Me: http://inthemiddletoday.blogspot.com/<----Started blogging again Updated 9/06/2012
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishie View Post
    Reasons we dont like it... There is music that plays at the pool all.the.time, and we're right next to it so we constantly have music, the same top 20 country songs on repeat until 10pm unless it messes up and then its on all night long. The apartment is dark, it feels so depressing. 1 bathroom... there's some things I'd really love to keep a mystery and this is making it hard! 1 bedroom, makes it difficult for DH when he needs to do his homework plus no room for guests to stay. Location is too far from everything, it takes 30 minutes to get to most places we want to go and doing that daily isn't fun. The people here are not our age and making it harder to make friends. I think that covers the highlights. No yard for dogs.

Pros; cheap, clean and safe area.
    I know it sucks to hate where you are living I would probably try to stick it out for a few more months. Moving twice in 6 months doesn't sound like fun to me AT ALL. and think of all the money you'd save!

As for buying now, even though your DH seems to be in a great position to start school, I would hate to establish myself so permanently before being 110% certain, and school seems to be that last factor. That's just me though.

I hope you can come to a decision that may not make you 100% happy right now, but works best for you and your DH in the long run.
  6. Senior Member
    Can you find another apartment or small house and get a 1 year lease? While not the perfect ideal, it would give you time to sell your other house and save a bit more money for those expenses you may not have thought about in buying a new home. It would give you longer in a rental of course but it would allow you to have a bit more flexibility.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  7. was ncgirl
    was ncgirl
    Typing it all out has helped me get some perspective. $6-$7000 is a lot of money over 6 months. That extra savings could be an extra "house" emergency fund for HVAC or water heaters and such.

I am going to go ask if there is any possibility of us moving apartments to not be by the music. It drives me nuts to always have music in the background. I doubt they'll go for it but maybe. I have complained several times when it was going all night long and let them know that the music really bothers me so maybe they'll take pity on me.

Adventures In Love
  8. Senior Member
    I hope with you that you will find that they have an empty apartment that won't be to difficult for you to move to although they may insist on a year lease rather than having your lease change to a month to month. But it sounds like it would still be worth it for you.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  9. Banned
    Banned
    it will be virtually impossible to a buy a house since he just got out, and you just changed jobs.

I would see about changing apartments, but if your in a sub lease you may not get the same rental rate ( since a sublease allows you to take over someone elses lease at their rental rate)

GL!