Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Army Deployments?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Smile Army Deployments?

Advertisements
    I'm new to the military life and I'm really confused about how it works. I've been told that we're pulling out of Afganistan in 2014. If we are pulling out of there, where else can Army men be deployed? I heard that the only place we couldn't follow them was the Middle East. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Senior Member
    They can be sent pretty much anywhere... not just to warzones. My SO goes to other random countries for training purposes, he has been to multiple countries in Africa and Europe, just for training. I also know of people who have gotten unaccompanied tours to South Korea, so it really just varies. Do not set your expectations as being able to go everywhere with him, because you will be let down in a major way.

"May you never go to hell, but always be on your way."
  3. Senior Member
    We won't pull 100% out at that point. We might have a small contingent of troops there for decades.

As has been said, they can be sent anywhere. Are you married? If you aren't then there are lots of places you probably can't follow them (Japan comes to mind, and quit possibly Europe as well, because the average person can't just stay in Europe for as long as she wants). If you are married, they can still be sent on unaccompanied orders to lots of places, often because the orders are too short in length to qualify for a spouse to be sponsored.

Also, there is a difference between deployments and orders/being stationed somewhere. Orders are where he will be sent to live, and most of the time, a spouse can move and live with him. Deployments are when they are pulled from the place where they are stationed and they are sent to work somewhere else for a while. Spouses are never sent along on deployments.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    My husband just got out of the marines, and his battalion is preparing to go to Tunisia. Not sure if the Army is doing the same, though.
  5. Senior Member

With all the joint commands and oddball assignments it's really a tossup. He could end up in a unit like JPAC and be spending the majority of his time TDY to various South Asian countries helping to recover POW/MIA remains. Even OEF isn't limited to Afghanistan, there are people deployed to the Philippines as well. I've seen people go to Africa, and a few people have mentioned South Korea, which is probably the most common unaccompanied tour in the Army. A lot of it depends on MOS and grade.
  6. Senior Member
    As stated deployments can be to anywhere. Stateside, and anywhere overseas not just the middle east. And while there are a couple places the spouses can go in the middle east, for deployments spouses can't go no matter where it is. And active duty troops can get orders to anywhere unaccompanied (meaning no dependents allowed).

As for the pulling out.....well when it actually happens is when I believe it.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    As stated deployments can be to anywhere. Stateside, and anywhere overseas not just the middle east. And while there are a couple places the spouses can go in the middle east, for deployments spouses can't go no matter where it is. And active duty troops can get orders to anywhere unaccompanied (meaning no dependents allowed).

This
  8. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post

My husband was slotted multiple times to deploy to Africa but got benched and my sister has been to Bahrain and Japan for her deployments so they don't just go to the middle east.