Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Already asked to go to Marine Birthday Ball... which is still months away~

1. Regular Member

Already asked to go to Marine Birthday Ball... which is still months away~

Advertisements
    I've been in a relationship with my guy for a little over 5 months now. When we first started dating he said, "IF we're still together in November, you wanna go to the Marine Birthday Ball." I laughed it off and said, "sure~~~." SOooo he brought it up again last night when I was over at his place (I was tutoring/helping him with his online math class). He laid down and put his head on my lap, held my hand, and asked, "Do you want to go to the Marine Birthday Ball with me?" I tried playing it cool asking him when it was (I already knew, but wanted to see if he realized that it was still couple months away). He said, "It's in November." I was smiling like an idiot at this point because he was asking me so soon. My answer was, "Yeah, I'd love to go!!! Is it fun?" His response was, "No, but if you go, it will be... oh and you have to wear a dress." I laughed and said, "Well yeah... After all, it is a ball!!! I ain't going to show up in a tanktop and shorts!!!" Anyways, I'm so happy right now!!!! Even if the ball is months away, I'm so glad to hear that he wants me to go with him!!! It makes me realize that he really wants our relationship to last!!! I just had to share this!!! I can't hold my excitement inside!!!!!
    At the same time, I have no idea what I need to do to prep for it... I know it's still a while way but I like to know everything ahead of time and get everything needed and planned out early. What kind of dress do I need? If I wanted a new dress, when should I get it? (now? next month?) When should I get my hair and makeup done? How should it be done? Should I get my nails done too? How small/big of a purse should I carry? Is there anything I should know when going (so I won't offend anyone)? If you don't include my senior prom, this is probably one of the most formal functions I'll ever go to. Those that have gone to the Birthday Ball, please help!
    If anyone is going to be going to the Marine Birthday Ball in Hawaii, let me know! I'd love to meet you!
  2. Senior Member
    You don't have to get your hair and makeup done. Some people do, but I think a majority don't. Purse is up to you. I usually leave mine in the car entirely and just have DH carry my ID and maybe a lipstick, but whatever you have is fine. A small evening clutch is best, but you can carry whatever you want.

You can get your nails done, but again, it isn't necessary. Only do it if you want to, and if you have the money to blow.

For a dress, you want something formal. Floor length. It's hard to compare to high school dances since different schools are so different, but it definitely needs to be formal, and that really means long. Some people might wear short, but it's way better to err on the side of caution and go long. Also, you don't have to wear long sleeves and a turtleneck, but nothing too low cut/cleavage barring, or too revealing (bit cut outs, high slits, etc.)

Basic manners are all you need to know. Don't get sloppy drunk, don't swear up a storm or anything like that, and be polite, and you will be just fine.

Really, it sounds like you are over thinking it. Buy a dress whenever you want to. Everything else you can do yourself (hair, makeup, nails) or get done if that's what you prefer.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. By the power of Greyskull...
    By the power of Greyskull...
    You do realize it's only like two months away, right? That's not long!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schung8 View Post
    I've been in a relationship with my guy for a little over 5 months now. When we first started dating he said, "IF we're still together in November, you wanna go to the Marine Birthday Ball." I laughed it off and said, "sure~~~." SOooo he brought it up again last night when I was over at his place (I was tutoring/helping him with his online math class). He laid down and put his head on my lap, held my hand, and asked, "Do you want to go to the Marine Birthday Ball with me?" I tried playing it cool asking him when it was (I already knew, but wanted to see if he realized that it was still couple months away). He said, "It's in November." I was smiling like an idiot at this point because he was asking me so soon. My answer was, "Yeah, I'd love to go!!! Is it fun?" His response was, "No, but if you go, it will be... oh and you have to wear a dress." I laughed and said, "Well yeah... After all, it is a ball!!! I ain't going to show up in a tanktop and shorts!!!" Anyways, I'm so happy right now!!!! Even if the ball is months away, I'm so glad to hear that he wants me to go with him!!! It makes me realize that he really wants our relationship to last!!! I just had to share this!!! I can't hold my excitement inside!!!!!
    At the same time, I have no idea what I need to do to prep for it... I know it's still a while way but I like to know everything ahead of time and get everything needed and planned out early. What kind of dress do I need? If I wanted a new dress, when should I get it? (now? next month?) When should I get my hair and makeup done? How should it be done? Should I get my nails done too? How small/big of a purse should I carry? Is there anything I should know when going (so I won't offend anyone)? If you don't include my senior prom, this is probably one of the most formal functions I'll ever go to. Those that have gone to the Birthday Ball, please help!
    If anyone is going to be going to the Marine Birthday Ball in Hawaii, let me know! I'd love to meet you!

long dress is best. It can be strapless, spaghetti straps or whatever you want, just make sure your cleavage is not extreme lol.
    Buy the dress whenever you find one you like. It can be now or a week before, whatever floats your boat (literally there is no rule on this). As for hair and makeup I would have it done the day of and about 2-3 hours before you leave for the ball (or do it yourself if you choose no need to have it done if you like how you do it). Be classic with your hair and makeup choices, don't go all Lady Gaga with makeup. Nails only if you want them done. Carry a clutch bag or something with a small delicate chain. Most of all, act as if you are meeting the most important person in the world and you want to make the best impression ever. Be polite, be quiet when it's time to be quiet, don't get drunk if you are old enough to drink, don't make a fool of your date, etc. Be yourself, but yourself that is calm and classy.

*reading this I am not trying to say that you are not like these things normally, I am trying to speak in general terms.
  5. Regular Member
    Kind of the same thing happened with me and I'm so excited but nervous at the same time !!
  6. Moderator

Definitely get a formal dress, floor length. You'll see a ton of black, red, and blue dresses, since that compliments the Dress Blues the best. But, there is no rule to color. Hair and nails are up to you. Some people go all out. A clutch, if you're bringing a purse.

It's a very formal occasion, full of pomp and circumstance. Enjoy it! The first ball is always so cool to see all the traditions played out.
  7. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    when i went to ex DBs marine ball i bought a floor length blue ball gown, strapless. I got it a month before the ball just to make sure i could still fit in it (bought it smaller than i should of) I ended up doing my own hair, makeup, && nails. Its extremely formal, and id just say make sure you look your best. I was always told by everyone that your a reflection of your marine lol so i was nervous to say the least.

but all in all its a great experience and im sure you'll have a great time. Make sure you take pictures! there always nice to look back on.