Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Job?

1. Regular Member

Bang Head Getting a Job?

Advertisements
    So dh and I have been moving around a lot with the military for a couple years now and it has been impossible for me to get a job. I haven't had one in 2 years. We have been saying once we get settled I will get a job. Well we are now at our duty station, which the area doesn't have much to offer, and just getting a job is not that easy these days. On top of that, my husband deployed a few months ago so I came back home. I not only came back to my home for support but I was almost expected to by my parents. When my husband comes home, he will be off for a couple weeks so obviously I want to spend that time with him. He also just said he wants to take a trip back home when he gets back. Then here comes the holidays. We planned the honeymoon we never got to take right before Christmas and then a whole week with our family. So, while dh and my family are all expecting me to come home and do this and do that...I am constantly being told to GET A JOB. Seriously?? I can't have a job and run all over the country and go here and stay home at the same time. I want a job...I love working. But I also know that it would take a miracle for someone to want to hire me who will need to be off all the time to please everybody. I don't know what I'm supposed to do!!!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

Why cant you get a job because you are staying with your parents? its almost time to jobs to start hiring seasonal jobs..

and I've had a job since I moved out here with dh and I plan on having one when we move...You cant let moving every couple of years be an excuse to not get a job

I'm not trying to be rude at all but to me it sounds like you are making excuses before even looking for a job
  3. Senior Member
    Who is constantly telling you to "get job"?

Moving home was the wrogn move if getting a job was important. It doesn't matter if your family "expected it". You are an adult and you can and should say no to your family if what they want isn't what is right for your life.

It sounds like you have a lot of excuses. But you didn't have to move home. You don't have to have no job in order to spend time with DH when he gets home. Plenty of people work and have lovely homecomings. You can work during the holidays. You don't have to take a honeymoon (or you can let a job know up front that you will need a little time off for that; I've done this is the past when being hired and already having a planned vacation, and it was just fine, though that is more likely to happen in a professional setting than shift type work). You don't have to spend a whole week with family at Christmas. You say you have to do those things to "please everybody", but you don't have to do them. Say no. That's part of being an adult and being responsible for your own life. You make your own choices and you own them. And you can easily choose not to all of the things you listed. You just have to decide, and stand by that decision.

All those things are nice, but they aren't reasonable expectations if you want to have a job. A job is an adult responsibility and if you want to have that, then you have to give up some of those things. You have to decide what is more important--the freedom to do what you want when you want, or having the job.

If you don't want a job, that's okay, but if you do, then you have to understand that that comes with repercussions, just as any decision does. And in this case, that will be giving up most of those things, or altering them so fit around the job you get. But if you keep making excuses and waiting for the perfect time, it will never come. There will always be a big event coming up for which ideally you'd not have any burdens on your time. If you already had a job, you'd work around it and find ways to make it work. So don't treat looking for a job any differently.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Maybe it's time to move back to your DHs duty station on your own and get a job? That way if you ask for 2 weeks off in 3 or 4 months for your honeymoon it wont be that hard to get approved.

I totally understand wanting to spend every waking moment with you dh once he gets back but maybe you need to be working instead. Take the first couple days off work and spend time with him but then go right back. Like the pp said there is never going to be a good time. Something is always going to come up.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kori_ann89 View Post
    So dh and I have been moving around a lot with the military for a couple years now and it has been impossible for me to get a job. I haven't had one in 2 years. We have been saying once we get settled I will get a job. Well we are now at our duty station, which the area doesn't have much to offer, and just getting a job is not that easy these days. On top of that, my husband deployed a few months ago so I came back home. I not only came back to my home for support but I was almost expected to by my parents. When my husband comes home, he will be off for a couple weeks so obviously I want to spend that time with him. He also just said he wants to take a trip back home when he gets back. Then here comes the holidays. We planned the honeymoon we never got to take right before Christmas and then a whole week with our family. So, while dh and my family are all expecting me to come home and do this and do that...I am constantly being told to GET A JOB. Seriously?? I can't have a job and run all over the country and go here and stay home at the same time. I want a job...I love working. But I also know that it would take a miracle for someone to want to hire me who will need to be off all the time to please everybody. I don't know what I'm supposed to do!!!
    I am confused....your post is a bit all over.

How long are you planning to be back home? I get you going home for support but why does your family expect you to come home? Your husband deployed for a few months not a few years.

I honestly would not try and get a job if I am only in a place for a few months as while the money would be nice on MY end, the employer is wasting money training me for me to just quit in a few months and then they have hire someone to replace me. Not to mention unless you lie many places won't hire if you tell them you will only be there for a couple months. KWIM

So if your family is pressuring you to get a job where you are tell them you would like to but can't. If they are for where your husband is stationed tell them (politely) that the situation is under control thanks for their input. If it is your husband, tell him again where you are you can't and when you get back to the duty station you will try your best.
  6. langsam langsam.
    langsam langsam.
    MCCS Careers Home Page

This is a good website for finding jobs on base. It's worth looking into at least before continuing with excuses, IMO.

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kprime View Post
    MCCS Careers Home Page

This is a good website for finding jobs on base. It's worth looking into at least before continuing with excuses, IMO.
    This not meant snarky, but do you know each other? She is an AF spouse and your link is for MC bases. If she is not at a MC base that link won't help her.
  8. Senior Member
    Move back to where your DH is stationed and get a job. Problem solved.

"May you never go to hell, but always be on your way."
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kori_ann89 View Post
    QFP since avatar was deleted.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    QFP since avatar was deleted.
    I did that too in my post but because I was general confused.

She is online and viewing (maybe walked away from computer).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast