Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to split the rent?

1. Senior Member

How to split the rent?

Advertisements
    So I'm about to move in to a new apartment with a girl I met about a month ago through a mutual friend. She's really cool, but we obviously aren't best friends. We both want to live closer to downtown, so we found the perfect place. The rent total is $1500 a month. She wants the master bedroom and bath, while I would be taking the second bedroom and unattached bathroom (and smaller closet). How would you split the rent? She suggested $725 for me and $775 for her. Do you think that's fair?

Below is the floorplan. The only thing different with our unit is that she would have only one sink (but I assume the same size bathroom) and I would have a shower tub as opposed to just a shower.

Camster is the best wifey ever
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    IMO... those rooms are almost the exact same size, I can't even tell which is the master bed and which is the 'other' bed.

The one on the left looks to have a bigger closet and bigger bathroom.

So, I say what she suggested is perfectly fine, I would even say even split 50/50 would suffice. Again, the rooms are almost the exact same size, one is 3 feet 'bigger' than the other... and that 3 feetlooks to be unusable space (doorway)

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member
    Guests will be using your bathroom? Or will her guests use her bathroom even though it's in her room?
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    Guests will be using your bathroom? Or will her guests use her bathroom even though it's in her room?
    Guests would use my bathroom. On the right.
    Camster is the best wifey ever
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hm so she has a garden tub and separate shower while you have shower tub, and she has a walk-in closet while you have a normal sliding door wall closet? I definitely wouldn't go for 50/50, but 725/775 seems fair.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I mean you pretty much have your own bathroom unless you have people over. The rooms look about the same size too. I think what she suggested is fair.

life's a party, rock your body
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Hm so she has a garden tub and separate shower while you have shower tub, and she has a walk-in closet while you have a normal sliding door wall closet? I definitely wouldn't go for 50/50, but 725/775 seems fair.
  8. verabot89
    verabot89
    I imagine her guests would use her bathroom.... it's right across from the entrance to her room, they wouldn't ever have to go into her bedroom space really. If I was your roommate, I would never in a million years have my guests use your bathroom in this case. I think what she suggested is fine.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KickDrumHeart View Post
    Guests would use my bathroom. On the right.
    See, that's where it would throw me in to say I would want my room a bit cheaper. If her guests will use her bathroom then I would think it's fair. However, if her guests will use your bathroom that's a different ball game - for me at least. I hang bras and stuff in my bathroom and you just never know what you'll have in there. Being obligated or feel like you have to clean when she is going to have someone over deserves a cheaper price IMO. I would ask for $700 you/$800 her.

Plus they will use your toilet paper, your soap, your hand towel, etc.
  10. verabot89
    verabot89
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    See, that's where it would throw me in to say I would want my room a bit cheaper. If her guests will use her bathroom then I would think it's fair. However, if her guests will use your bathroom that's a different ball game - for me at least. I hang bras and stuff in my bathroom and you just never know what you'll have in there. Being obligated or feel like you have to clean when she is going to have someone over deserves a cheaper price IMO. I would ask for $700 you/$800 her.

Plus they will use your toilet paper, your soap, your hand towel, etc.
    yea I guess that's true, I just can't imagine why her guests would use KickDrums bathroom.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast