Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Job thoughts

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Job thoughts

Advertisements
    After we moved I decided to start temping just to get out of the house, keep busy, and learn the different areas and commutes around town while I search for job in my field. I've had two organizations show interest but no immediate prospects. I'm networking, meeting lots of people, trying to round up something and making progress but it will take some time. DH is now thinking about going career Army and potentially moving sooner rather than staying here for a long while after his contract was up. So, my problem is the job I am working now is still looking for a permanent hire and I don't know if I should inquire about it.

Pro's:
    Coworkers are super amazing and has some flexibility
    Steady employment while we live here if this is just a temp. stop on DH's career path
    It would pay roughly 30k and let us meet the goal of paying off the student loans in the next two years
    Could volunteer to do some security program development for non-profits at no cost, use that experience to help build case studies and grow my consulting gigs, and be able to have money to invest in the growth if we move up from here.

Con's:
    Not in my field at all, no way, no how, spending $37,000 on a masters was silly
    A restriction that I couldn't leave the company for x length of time which means if something in my field does pan out in the next 3-6 months I would have to pass
    Only pay's roughly 30k, which if DH chooses to ets we would struggle to live off of
    2 hour commute a day, against traffic though

I am feeling lost at the moment. Having trouble seeing the forest through the trees kind of thing. Any thoughts, perspectives, opinions, experiences would be appreciated.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    From what you've posted as pros and cons, I personally would probably wait to find something else. The two hour commute thing is the main thing that would ruin it for me
  3. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Procella View Post
    After we moved I decided to start temping just to get out of the house, keep busy, and learn the different areas and commutes around town while I search for job in my field. I've had two organizations show interest but no immediate prospects. I'm networking, meeting lots of people, trying to round up something and making progress but it will take some time. DH is now thinking about going career Army and potentially moving sooner rather than staying here for a long while after his contract was up. So, my problem is the job I am working now is still looking for a permanent hire and I don't know if I should inquire about it.

Pro's:
    Coworkers are super amazing and has some flexibility
    Steady employment while we live here if this is just a temp. stop on DH's career path
    It would pay roughly 30k and let us meet the goal of paying off the student loans in the next two years
    Could volunteer to do some security program development for non-profits at no cost, use that experience to help build case studies and grow my consulting gigs, and be able to have money to invest in the growth if we move up from here.

Con's:
    Not in my field at all, no way, no how, spending $37,000 on a masters was silly
    A restriction that I couldn't leave the company for x length of time which means if something in my field does pan out in the next 3-6 months I would have to pass
    Only pay's roughly 30k, which if DH chooses to ets we would struggle to live off of
    2 hour commute a day, against traffic though

I am feeling lost at the moment. Having trouble seeing the forest through the trees kind of thing. Any thoughts, perspectives, opinions, experiences would be appreciated.
    If it were me? I wouldn't. The cons you listed seem to heavily outweigh the pros, and that is a huge deciding factor to me.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thanks for your input. I think you are both right about why not to take it but I ended up asking for more information and it turned out to pay more then I estimated. Enough to tip the scale into taking it, its a really nice company, just a bit of a drive and not in my field. I am hoping they will let me do a some security planning stuff for them once the dust settles. So now my plan is to slowly build up my consulting biz on my off time and in a few years, after the student loans are paid off and there is enough business, switch to running my own company.