Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time flyer

1. Senior Member

first time flyer

Advertisements
    I know it's a little while away for me yet, but I'm planning on flying down for my DF's graduation from basic. I've never been to an airport or on a plane before. Any advice for a first-time flyer?
  2. Senior Member

How long is the flight? How long are you going to be there? The best advice I can give to anyone traveling is PACK LIGHT. If it's a short trip and/or you can manage, fit everything you need in a carryon. That way you avoid baggage fees and don't have to wait for bags at the baggage claim.

If you're REALLY nervous or it's a long flight, you can check with your doctor for something to help you relax/sleep.
  3. Senior Member
    It's a 5-6 hour flight and I will be there for 3-4 days.
  4. Senior Member
    To bad you aren't 21. I would have advice in that case.

Just a book or music to keep you thinking of other things and take some dramamine just in case.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I normally break a flight up into a tv series I have on my ipod. So for that flight, 30 minutes of no electronics on take off, 3 shows an hour for 4 hours, then 30 minutes no electronics on landing would mean I could watch all of season 1 of venture bros. or whatever floats your boat. I also listen to a book, or read a magazine just to break it up. Noise cancelling headphones are fantastic, plane noise really drains me. There are cheap $20 earbud ones that I prefer just because they aren't bulky.

I also have everything I need in my hand when I get on the plane, which makes for some interesting balancing issues. Ticket, ipod, book/magazine, coffee w/snack, water bottle, rolling luggage, computer bag. Pockets help.
  6. By the power of Greyskull...
    By the power of Greyskull...
    They serve alcohol in the airports that early for a reason! LOL

Books, magazines, and ipod! I can usually read through at least one good book on the plane and before I know it we're landing! I love an e-reader, but you can't use it during take off or landing, so magazines or a hard copy book are handy then!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Procella View Post
    I normally break a flight up into a tv series I have on my ipod. So for that flight, 30 minutes of no electronics on take off, 3 shows an hour for 4 hours, then 30 minutes no electronics on landing would mean I could watch all of season 1 of venture bros. or whatever floats your boat. I also listen to a book, or read a magazine just to break it up. Noise cancelling headphones are fantastic, plane noise really drains me. There are cheap $20 earbud ones that I prefer just because they aren't bulky.

I also have everything I need in my hand when I get on the plane, which makes for some interesting balancing issues. Ticket, ipod, book/magazine, coffee w/snack, water bottle, rolling luggage, computer bag. Pockets help.
    This is what I do either with TV shows or movies!
  8. Senior Member
    Bring some easy snacks and just make sure you have something to keep you busy. Also read the skymall catalog, it is awesome lol
  9. Senior Member
    Bubble gum or something, like a bon bon, swallowing a lot can help with the pressure on your ears. And definitely something to read and watch as entertainment. I would also buy something to drink after security. I feel like I never get enough to drink on planes
  10. Senior Member

When seated keep your belt on and snug at all times even if they say it's ok to take it off. Turbulence is normal and rarely threatening to the plane itself but can be pretty bumpy (and scary for those who have never experienced it) and can be hazardous if you are not secure in your seat.

Most of the time turbulence is minor and most likely won't be any issue, I just mention it because you say you have never flown and some people who have never experienced it panic thinking there something is wrong with the plane when there is nothing wrong and it's completely normal. Pilots do their best to avoid weather that can produce turbulence but not always possible to avoid it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast