Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Health Insurance Desperation

1. verabot89
    verabot89

Health Insurance Desperation

Advertisements
    So I'm losing my insurance on my birthday this year, in the beginning of December.

I can't find a job with benefits to save my life (at this point, quite literally....) and as desperate and terrible as the employment thing is, worse is that I'm going to start having to make decisions about what parts of my health care to risk.

Do I give up preventative care? Do I get the cheapest plan (around $150-$200 a month) that just covers hospitalization God forbid I get into a car accident or something, that I may never end up using? Do I just forgo insurance all together and hope nothings happens to me? Do I get a cheaper plan that covers more but comes with a really high deductible which will probably end up costing me a ton more in the long run, but would be there for me if something comes up? Right now I'm a healthy 25 year old but what if something happens? What if I get sick? What if I start needing prescriptions that I can't pay for? New York State doesn't offer me anything right now except family planning services, so I can go to the gyno and get BC... but I don't even take BC.

And soon I guess I will have to get insurance cause of Obamacare and that's fine with me, because I want insurance desperately, but will there be more options for me? Will NY state come up with a plan to cover people other than the very very poor and the elderly? Or will my only options be private individual plans that cost a bazillion dollars?

I don't even know how to choose a plan- there are so many options and all of them are absurdly expensive and none of them seem like good enough safe guards. I'm so stressed about this all the time, and I'm trying to fit in as many doctor appointments and check ups as possible before December, but it terrifies me that in all liklihood I just won't be able to afford going to the doctor after December. I hate it, and full time benefitted jobs are disappearing, and I can't get hired for any of the ones I apply for, and my only plan right now is suck it up and pray nothing happens to me until next fall and then emigrate to the UK for school where I will have access to their national health plan, and work towards permanent residency there. It's literally gotten to the point where I don't believe for a second that I will ever get a benefitted job or that I will ever married, this seems like the only plan. I feel so desperate, it's scary.

So really after this long winded post-- what would you do? I don't really know much about health insurance plans and what it all really means, or how to save costs.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

2. verabot89
    verabot89
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

3. Proud mother of a baby boy...and wife of a soldier
    Proud mother of a baby boy...and wife of a soldier
    Blog Entries
    Here is the official healthcare marketplace for New York, so you might have better luck looking around there.

New York State of Health | The Official Health Plan Marketplace for New York State

Im so in love with you hunny. I know I have never felt this powerful of a love before, I have only thought it was possible for those rare lucky few. And now I think we have it. Or are we just now part of the lucky rare few? XOXO Love you hun. -DH 9/8/11
  4. verabot89
    verabot89
    This is helpful... all this info is new, I guess cause they are starting to open enrollment in October. When I was searching a few weeks ago I didn't find any of this.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

5. Proud mother of a baby boy...and wife of a soldier
    Proud mother of a baby boy...and wife of a soldier
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't have known about the marketplaces being set up if it weren't for the local news app I have on my ipod to check the news since we don't have cable. We're in OK, but apparently they are all going live in October (or it seems that way, anyway).

Im so in love with you hunny. I know I have never felt this powerful of a love before, I have only thought it was possible for those rare lucky few. And now I think we have it. Or are we just now part of the lucky rare few? XOXO Love you hun. -DH 9/8/11