Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Selling our house

  1. Regular Member
    JKBlossom's Avatar
    JKBlossom is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    99
    #1

    Selling our house

    Advertisements
    I will start by giving some back story first. My husband decided back in January 2012 that he wanted to join the military again. He chose to go the officer route this time so the process has been long. He finally got a class date of January 2014! We have waited so long for this moment with a lot of ups and downs along the way. We are very excited but now comes a new stress. We decided to sell our current home before we all relocate after his 10 week training. My question for you is, how soon would you try to sell your home? Thinking financially, I would love to sell our home right away and move in with family to save money. However, I can't shake the feeling that something might happen that will affect him going to class in January. My husband has reassured me that everything is set and nothing will get in the way of him going to class. With all of the bumps in the road over the last 19 months I am just afraid to sell our house and have no home of our own if things happen to change. Has anybody else been through something similar? What would you do? Thanks for taking the time to read about my situation. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #2
    I would first talk to a realtor in your area - for a few reasons; 1) to find out if you can even sell your home for what you owe, 2) to get a comparable market analysis and 3) to find out what the average length homes are on the market in your area.

    then with that information decide the best course of action.
  3. Senior Member
    itchywitch's Avatar
    itchywitch is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Twentynine Palms
    Posts
    2,735
    #3
    Are you able to financially manage paying your mortgage and rent or what have you at the next location? If you can float paying both then there is no real rush to sell, if you cant then I would sell sooner than later.t


    No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  4. OG Member
    April Lynne's Avatar
    April Lynne is offline
    OG Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx area
    Posts
    18,492
    Blog Entries
    5
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    I would first talk to a realtor in your area - for a few reasons; 1) to find out if you can even sell your home for what you owe, 2) to get a comparable market analysis and 3) to find out what the average length homes are on the market in your area.

    then with that information decide the best course of action.

    if you do decide to go ahead and put your house on the market now be prepared that if it sells you may have to move in with someone for a longer period of time than expected if a bump in the road happens and he isn't able to go to school in Jan so I'd speak with the family you plan on staying with in the instance that your house sells and make sure they are aware that your stay could be extended in extenuating circumstances.


  5. Regular Member
    JKBlossom's Avatar
    JKBlossom is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    99
    #5
    Thanks for the advice. We met with a realtor a few weeks ago (before we even knew his class date) to see if it was an option for us. Luckily, we bought when the market was down and completely renovated our home. So, we would look pretty good after selling. Homes are selling pretty quickly in our area as long as they are priced appropriately. I guess I just have to get over the fear that the military won't end up happening for some reason. He has a class date so I don't know why I am so nervous.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    I would first talk to a realtor in your area - for a few reasons; 1) to find out if you can even sell your home for what you owe, 2) to get a comparable market analysis and 3) to find out what the average length homes are on the market in your area.

    then with that information decide the best course of action.
  6. Regular Member
    JKBlossom's Avatar
    JKBlossom is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    99
    #6
    Unfortunately, we could not afford to carry our mortgage once we relocate. I wish we could though. That would make this process a lot less stressful.

    Quote Originally Posted by itchywitch View Post
    Are you able to financially manage paying your mortgage and rent or what have you at the next location? If you can float paying both then there is no real rush to sell, if you cant then I would sell sooner than later.t
  7. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JKBlossom View Post
    Thanks for the advice. We met with a realtor a few weeks ago (before we even knew his class date) to see if it was an option for us. Luckily, we bought when the market was down and completely renovated our home. So, we would look pretty good after selling. Homes are selling pretty quickly in our area as long as they are priced appropriately. I guess I just have to get over the fear that the military won't end up happening for some reason. He has a class date so I don't know why I am so nervous.
    if they sell fast in your area let's say within 30 days with a 30 day close - your looking at a max of 60 days which would put you into November, ( houses generally do not sell well as Christmas approaches) so putting it on the market now and figuring out a place to stay after you sell would be better than trying to sell closer to jan, feb and risk not selling before you left.

    also if it sells later in the year, you may be able to push the closing a couple of weeks so you can stay in the home longer, or rent from the new buyers if they are not in a hurry to move in.

    there are so many variables!!
  8. Regular Member
    JKBlossom's Avatar
    JKBlossom is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    99
    #8
    Thank you so much for the information. My mind is spinning with everything! I think that maybe you are right about selling sooner rather than trying to sell during the holidays.

    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    if they sell fast in your area let's say within 30 days with a 30 day close - your looking at a max of 60 days which would put you into November, ( houses generally do not sell well as Christmas approaches) so putting it on the market now and figuring out a place to stay after you sell would be better than trying to sell closer to jan, feb and risk not selling before you left.

    also if it sells later in the year, you may be able to push the closing a couple of weeks so you can stay in the home longer, or rent from the new buyers if they are not in a hurry to move in.

    there are so many variables!!
  9. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #9
    I am a licensed agent in GA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •