Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: New Navy BF Underway...need advice.

  1. Regular Member
    ThisAmandaGirl's Avatar
    ThisAmandaGirl is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    36
    #1

    New Navy BF Underway...need advice.

    Advertisements
    I just got into a relationship with a guy in the Navy and he left mid July for missile drills in the pacific. He was scheduled to be back soon, but they extended his underway and he doesn't know when exactly he will be back.

    He has been back and forth to the port in Hawaii since July, so when he is in port I would get texts. He is now currently underway.

    Normally, he sends me an email every day while he is underway, but he hasn't been keeping in touch much at all lately. I'm new to the Navy and don't know whether he is choosing not to email me or he literally has no time while underway (he has been on facebook periodically though, via mobile, which I don't understand).
    Am I overreacting for being upset about this? What have been your experiences with your SO being gone/underway? Did you hear from them often?

    My big concern is that he is cheating or losing interest since we can't really talk.

    Thanks for any advice/info. I miss him terribly and don't know how to feel.
    Last edited by ThisAmandaGirl; 08-27-2013 at 05:06 PM.
  2. Account Closed
    GingerGirl15's Avatar
    GingerGirl15 is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    3,410
    #2


    I think they may merge your threads since its generally suggested not to make more than one thread with the same question. I responded to your other post.

    Also, you may want to edit out the part where you say when your DB gets back from underway...I think its against OPSEC.
  3. Regular Member
    ThisAmandaGirl's Avatar
    ThisAmandaGirl is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    36
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerGirl15 View Post


    I think they may merge your threads since its generally suggested not to make more than one thread with the same question. I responded to your other post.

    Also, you may want to edit out the part where you say when your DB gets back from underway...I think its against OPSEC.
    Got it, I edited that out. Still a newbie for sure. Thanks for pointing that out!
  4. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    KarmaRocks's Avatar
    KarmaRocks is offline
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,212
    #4
    Depending on how far from shore they are and what the ship's policy is, he may or may not be able to log on to his facebook via cell phone. He may or may not have access to a computer on a regular basis depending on his rank and duty schedule, etc. If you are concerned about him and the amount of communication you are getting, I would discuss your needs and expectations with him when he returns. You have to understand that there are times that networks go down either on purpose or because of issues. He may be standing some crappy watches that wear him out and he may not feel like emailing. I can tell you that my husband would not miss a day of emailing me, even if it's a quick note.

    So you know, discussing ships movement is an OPSEC issue and can cause the ship to change schedule. Just be careful with that.

    If you are bored some day check this out:

    DoD Center for Development of Security Excellence





    "Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  5. Ummmmm...........
    Abbynormal's Avatar
    Abbynormal is offline
    Ummmmm...........
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8,438
    Blog Entries
    1

    #5
    It says your DB has been on facebook via mobile because of the ships internet. When DH is on the ship computer and on FB it says that too.

    He might just be busy with work or the internet went out, or he's on watch, ect. I would try really hard to not take less communication as a sign he is either cheating or losing interest while he is underway. Maybe if this stuff was happening while he was home, get a little concerned, but since he is working probably 18-20 hours a day try not and worry as hard as that can be.
  6. Regular Member
    ThisAmandaGirl's Avatar
    ThisAmandaGirl is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    36
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaRocks View Post
    Depending on how far from shore they are and what the ship's policy is, he may or may not be able to log on to his facebook via cell phone. He may or may not have access to a computer on a regular basis depending on his rank and duty schedule, etc. If you are concerned about him and the amount of communication you are getting, I would discuss your needs and expectations with him when he returns. You have to understand that there are times that networks go down either on purpose or because of issues. He may be standing some crappy watches that wear him out and he may not feel like emailing. I can tell you that my husband would not miss a day of emailing me, even if it's a quick note.

    So you know, discussing ships movement is an OPSEC issue and can cause the ship to change schedule. Just be careful with that.

    If you are bored some day check this out:

    DoD Center for Development of Security Excellence
    Thanks for that info. I looked up what OPSEC is and now I get it! But weirdly enough, in a previous email (from his mil email) from my DB he gave two tentative dates of when he might be back. Wouldn't that be violating OPSEC? He also mentioned his workcenter computer is down but I don't know how he was email me then. But you are right, totally going to discuss expectations when he gets back...
  7. Regular Member
    ThisAmandaGirl's Avatar
    ThisAmandaGirl is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    36
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    It says your DB has been on facebook via mobile because of the ships internet. When DH is on the ship computer and on FB it says that too.

    He might just be busy with work or the internet went out, or he's on watch, ect. I would try really hard to not take less communication as a sign he is either cheating or losing interest while he is underway. Maybe if this stuff was happening while he was home, get a little concerned, but since he is working probably 18-20 hours a day try not and worry as hard as that can be.
    That's what I was thinking--that maybe it was the internet he's using on the ship. I hope you are right- I find it weird he had time to get on facebook a few times in the past week, but didn't email me until I emailed him asking why I hadn't heard from him. I don't know. This is all very difficult, but I hope it'll be better when he gets back :/ thanks for responding!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •