Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st Assignment Dreamsheet

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

1st Assignment Dreamsheet

Advertisements
    My husband is active duty Air Force and will graduate from pilot training soon. We have received the official dream sheet for his first assignment. I'm seeking information about the deployments and missions of certain aircraft and how those affect family life, etc. I would love to hear from the spouses of any pilots, WSOs and crew members. We are specifically interested in the details of the B-1, B-52, F-16, F-22 and F-15.

Any input is appreciated but here are some specific questions:
    1. Typically how long are deployments and how often?
    2. What are their typical work days like? Do they work consistent hours or do their schedules change frequently?
    3. How do you feel about their specific missions and how they affect your family life?
    4. Do you know what B-course is currently like? Location? TDY vs PCS?
    5. What are some of the bases you've been stationed at and what are they like?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by MrsWamp27 View Post
    My husband is active duty Air Force and will graduate from pilot training soon. We have received the official dream sheet for his first assignment. I'm seeking information about the deployments and missions of certain aircraft and how those affect family life, etc. I would love to hear from the spouses of any pilots, WSOs and crew members. We are specifically interested in the details of the B-1, B-52, F-16, F-22 and F-15.

Any input is appreciated but here are some specific questions:
    1. Typically how long are deployments and how often?
    2. What are their typical work days like? Do they work consistent hours or do their schedules change frequently?
    3. How do you feel about their specific missions and how they affect your family life?
    4. Do you know what B-course is currently like? Location? TDY vs PCS?
    5. What are some of the bases you've been stationed at and what are they like?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer!
    Hi, welcome to MSOS! Remember to go over to the Newbie section and write an introduction thread I just went through AFROTC (though I am now currently a civilian), so I have quite a few friends at UPT. Also, my father was an Air Force pilot for a number of years.

All of your questions will depend on the specific aircraft (though I'm not familiar with B-course). When will he find out his aircraft assignment?
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Senior Member
    Good luck. That's a big range of aircraft. My DH can work on all of them. Bases depend on what aircraft you're on. Some are more limiting than others.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I am glad you made it!! hopefully the guys and girls can give you the info your looking for!
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    In September we get our aircraft assignment. The reason I am asking about a wide range of aircraft is because we have to fill out his dreamsheet before assignment night. He is currently on the fighter/bomber track and is not sure which planes he will rank at the top. I would like to find out as much as I can about the different planes and lifestyles so I can give him my educated opinion. Maybe I should have posted this in the General Discussion forum?
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

As the wife of a CSO (I believe virtually the same as a WSO, just different aircraft systems), your best bet would be to wait until drop night (when assignments are given out) to ask for info. With different aircraft come different deployment lengths, TDY's, etc. just too many variables right now.

This thread is in a good place for now.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. Senior Member
    I saw you post this at the other website. As I see it, it is going to be difficult to get the information you are seeking. You are asking about 5 different airframes and within those airframes some have more than one model number, which can make a difference. For example, the F-15 comes in multiple models and those models are not at the same bases (although multiple models of an airframe can be at the same base). And the ops tempo is going to be different at the different bases. There is no typical. In addition, the ops tempo changes depending on what is going on in the world, which means the length and frequency of deployments changes. Missions that were being performed a few years ago are no longer being performed.

Leadership can also make a big difference. Someone may have had a bad experience in a particular squadron due to the leadership, or vice versa. Morale could be low, but it has nothing to do with the airframe. One can like the airframe and the missions, but not like leadership's way of doing things. Or the leadership can be what makes the job even more enjoyable.

You can figure out what airframes are at which base, but again, people's experiences are all going to be different as to whether they like the base or not. The B52 is only at two bases in the US and so the chance of going to Minot is going to be pretty good. Some people really like it there, others can't wait to leave. And how do you feel about Barksdale, LA? Because that is the other base.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that you have too many variables. Cutting down the number of airframes you are trying to get information on would help.
  8. Senior Member
    I have lived on bases with all those (not as the spouse to flight crew but as a flight line worker spouse). DH has worked on two of the ones you listed and again like I said I have been to bases with the others. All questions you asked are pretty much dependent on the aircraft AND the base you go to. What goes for one base may not be the same for the next even if the aircraft is the same.

B-1s are at a few select bases. Ellsworth, South Dakota is one of them
    F-15s and 16s are all over the world US and stateside.
    The other 2 I don't know what all bases have them.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you everyone for your input, but I don't think I have made myself clear. I understand that I have too many variables, that is why I am trying to learn more about each plane separately. All I am asking is that if you have any experience with any of the planes that I listed and the lifestyles associated with them, please share them with me. I would like to learn about all these different planes so that my husband and I can fill out his dreamsheet together, based on what both of us know about all the planes. I don't understand why I need to narrow my search field. I understand that things change, nobody has the exact same experiences, etc, but all I'm asking is if you have any personal experience with any fighter or bomber at any base, please feel free to share with me.
  10. Senior Member
    F-16's are all over the place. Wikipedia actually has a list of what airframes are at what bases. I'd google for that (I don't feel comfortable linking it here). My husband worked on 16's at Aviano AB, Italy. It was a good assignment.

He now works F-22's in Alaska. Also a good assignment. More and more bases should become available as more come into production. I don't think there's many bad F-22 bases currently. They deploy 4 months at a time at our current base. That seems to be typical for most fighter aircraft truthfully.

Bombers my husband is trying to stay off of mostly because we don't like the bases. Lots of Minot, Barksdale and Whiteman with those.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast