Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I leave my job at the CDC to start in home daycare (FCC)?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Confused Should I leave my job at the CDC to start in home daycare (FCC)?

Advertisements
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the site and relatively new to the military life as well. My husband and I got married on February 14th, 2013 and I moved to his base a couple weeks after. In July, I started working at the CDC. I work in the toddler rooms which are double ratio- so 2 adults and 14 two-year-olds. While it's been a good and fun experience, job-wise, I'm slowly starting to hate it. I don't hate it because of what I do, I hate it because of the people I am forced to work with. I love to do my own thing and interact with children on my own level. I just really want to give it a shot.

I have a ton of reasons as to why I'm really wanting to give this a shot. Our house is two stories where we can keep the daycare area downstairs and still maintain our privacy upstairs. We live in a convenient place right across from the commissary and BX. We don't have any children of our own. We live where it snows a LOT and I wouldn't have to worry about driving in the snow. Downstairs has everything we'd need with plenty of space outside as well since we live on the corner of a street. I've learned that I love working with children and helping them grow. I think reading, art, and all forms of early education are super important to a child's development and being in a classroom of chaos and no enthusiasm or set routine makes it impossible to keep excited about this job field... I really think that younger kids should have a more nurturing and home-based environment.

So I'm looking for anyone who has ran a daycare from their home on base through the FCC program. What do you find are the biggest pros and cons? Is it worth it or should I stay at the CDC? I know one issue is not really being able to "rank up" if I leave the CDC for the FCC, which my husband isn't too happy with... But the money isn't a concern, I want something I will love. I don't mind taking the extra money I'd make from switching jobs and putting it towards new toys and games for the kids and good meals to feed them..

Also, I'm extremely interested in any detail you could provide me with as far as daily routine requirements from the FCC and what they look for during inspections. How is the training and what more would I have to do to get licensed? My husband is not completely sold on the idea, but I love it.

So please, if you've done FCC, give me an extensive list of pros and cons. How does it compare to working at the CDC? If you can, describe your daily routine and what kind of paperwork you have to keep.

One more HUGE thing- LIABILITY. Are you held responsible for everything and anything that could happen, even if you have done everything right by the guidelines and something STILL happened to a child? THAT is my husband's main concern.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this!
    - Sarah!
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    You have to have child care insurence so that covers you for liability. You can possibly make better money doing FCC the. CDC.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Senior Member
    I would go talk to them about what is all required. There are very specific rules you must follow running a daycare on base. Like you can not leave the kids alone (even to pee). I believe they (the ones who grant you permission to start a home day care) set your rates, you have to do a full background check etc. A lot of stuff.

Anyways, go see what is required, what they do for you etc and than speak to your husband and see if he is willing (knowing all the details) to give up the privacy of his home to strangers.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I plan to go find out, it's just hard right now because my work hours at the CDC overlap the times that the FCC is open. Thank you guys! I'm just curious to hear from someone who has done the program if it's worth it. And I wondered how that'd work, as far as bathroom breaks haha! I wonder what you do then >_< !! Lol
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahKM View Post
    I plan to go find out, it's just hard right now because my work hours at the CDC overlap the times that the FCC is open. Thank you guys! I'm just curious to hear from someone who has done the program if it's worth it. And I wondered how that'd work, as far as bathroom breaks haha! I wonder what you do then >_< !! Lol
    I think you have to take them all with you or pee when they are asleep. I honestly don't remember what I was told in that regard but I remember it being a "really??" kinda thing (unless things have changed since I asked about it).
  6. Senior Member
    Frankly, if my husband wasn't 100% on board, I would drop it. I'm surprised that you would push the issue even though your husband is clearly not for it...
  7. Senior Member
    I intend on opening my own in home day care someday, when I have more children. In MA, I believe you have to have to be EEC (early education and care certified) - Which I am. I know every state has different regulations, however. It's a long process, you need to be a licensed care provider through the state, which includes inspections & home insurance verifications. Also, that includes ratios for caregivers:children. For example, In MA if you have over 9 (I believe), you need to hire an assistant.

You can make good money doing it.
  8. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    OP,

I know nothing about the programs, but I remember living in NC and knowing someone who was going to look into a similar setup for her home. The process and paperwork seemed insane and endless to me (as the casual observer). Personally, it sounds like my unique version of hell... but it also sounds like you love working with kids and would really enjoy doing something like this. I hope you get to gather your facts and let us know what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by MissNik View Post
    Frankly, if my husband wasn't 100% on board, I would drop it. I'm surprised that you would push the issue even though your husband is clearly not for it...
    She didn't say he's 100% against the idea. She said there were some things about the idea he wasn't too happen with or not completely sold on yet--- which, considering she has about 1/10th the info that they would need before making an informed decision, seems reasonable.

I don't think requesting information really counts as "pushing the issue".

www.SnarkyFit.com
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Thumb Down -_-

Quote Originally Posted by MissNik View Post
    Because my husband doesn't completely call all the shots maybe? We work together as a team, not "if he says no, it means no"
    He's just not sure about it and the issues that might come along with it. I can't stand when women are all "Omg if my husband says no then I better just drop all my dreams and be who he wants me to be!!" Sorry, but I'm my own person...
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Btw, thank you all for the info!

I know it seems like a LOT to do, but I think it's something I can work towards while still working at the CDC.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast