Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Hello navy wives! (living on bases) advice please?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Question Hello navy wives! (living on bases) advice please?

Advertisements
    Hello I was wondering if the ladies in here could give me some pointers!
    Let's pretend that me and my SO are married (not quite legally 'official' yet).

Now in order to live overseas (asia area) on base with him what kind of paperwork do I need? specific forms?
    Would we be left accountable for paying the fee's for me too move over there? Do I need all my medical files prompt and ready?

any advice or pointers would be of help. I had a previous thread kinda about this (If anyone remembers reading it)
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by destiny_seeker View Post
    Hello I was wondering if the ladies in here could give me some pointers!
    Let's pretend that me and my SO are married (not quite legally 'official' yet).

Now in order to live overseas (asia area) on base with him what kind of paperwork do I need? specific forms?
    Would we be left accountable for paying the fee's for me too move over there? Do I need all my medical files prompt and ready?

any advice or pointers would be of help. I had a previous thread kinda about this (If anyone remembers reading it)
    Assuming you are already married. If he is already station there (as in a remote) he will need to extend his tour over there and than apply for command sponsorship. That includes a medical and mental check I believe (not sure for the navy exactly). I don't think navy does dental though. Than the people who are in charge of deciding will look at your paperwork and decide. Than you move over there after you are added to his orders and get your no fee passport and visa.

I believe you will have to pay for your stuff to shipped if he is already stationed there but again I am not sure on that.

Depending on how long he has, I would suggest just not moving over.
  3. Senior Member
    Ah, I see your other message is VERY recent (I was expecting it to be older).

He is in Japan I see. He will still have to extend his orders and request command sponsorship for you. I still suggest what I posted depending on how long he has left.
  4. Senior Member
    In addition to the above... It depends on the command but the will likely not pay anything towards your move. This happened to me and it was very expensive.
    You will also need an overseas screening. Make sure you are up to date on a physical, Pap smear, vaccinations and dental.

ETA: the forms you will need for the screening are navmed 1300/1 and dd2807-1
    I would highly suggest you or him calling the overscreening office and talking to the doctor there about specific requirements... It was the only way I could get answers for when I did it. I came to Guam and was not on my husbands orders, so I understand your situation.

5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you!
    very helpful
  6. Proud Navy Wife and mommy of 3
    Proud Navy Wife and mommy of 3
    Good luck to you.
    Mommy to Jocelyn, Jazmine (angel baby), Jayson (My Angel in the sky)and Jacquelyn
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Assuming you are already married. If he is already station there (as in a remote) he will need to extend his tour over there and than apply for command sponsorship. That includes a medical and mental check I believe (not sure for the navy exactly). I don't think navy does dental though. Than the people who are in charge of deciding will look at your paperwork and decide. Than you move over there after you are added to his orders and get your no fee passport and visa.

I believe you will have to pay for your stuff to shipped if he is already stationed there but again I am not sure on that.

Depending on how long he has, I would suggest just not moving over.
    The Navy does do dental.

As others have said, he will need to make sure he has enough time left on his orders there to get you added. If not, he will have to try to extend (which they won't always grant). Also, he must be of a certain rank in order to qualify for an accompanied tour (I think it is E4 or 5, but not sure). The time left on his orders is different than the time on his enlistment.

Then you will need to get command sponsorship. You will need a current pap smear, and your shot record showing you are current on all shots (and if you aren't you will have to get shots). You may need more shots as well (I had to get the Japanese Encephalitis Virus vax, which I believe was a series of 2 shots, and the Hepatitis B (I think it was B) shots, though they let me leave before I finished the Hep series.) I also had to get a TB test, and an HIV test (though many people I talked to said they didn't need the HIV test.) And you need a current dental cleaning and a form from your dentist which basically says you have no major outstanding dental problems. If you have major dental issues, you will need to get them fixed before you are cleared.

And you will need copies of your civilian medical records going back as far as possible.

Once you have all that, you take it to a command screening appointment, along with a form you will have filled out that basically asks a zillion "Have you ever had" questions about your entire medical history. The person doing your screen will review it all and sign it, and then it is sent to his base in Japan where they will issue dependent entry approval. If you have any chronic medical conditions or have been treated for anything major recently (including mental health care), you might have trouble getting sponsorship.

You will also need to get a no-fee passport. This is done through the base and is free to you. It only gets to to Japan and the U.S. though. If you want to travel to any other countries you will need a tourist passport (the regular passport civilians get for travel), which you will have to pay for.

So, things you can do if this is happening soon but you aren't married yet are get a pap smear, get your shot record (and get any shots you might not be current on), go to the dentist and make sure you have no dental issues, and apply for a tourist passport if you want one. Most of this stuff can't be older than about 6 months, so keep that in mind if you are wanting to do it ahead of time.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski