Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: are wedding band tattoos out of REGS for the military

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

Question are wedding band tattoos out of REGS for the military

Advertisements
    Just a question out of curiosity since my DB has brought this up anyways. Are wedding band tattoos out of regulations for the military, specifically the airforce if anyone can answer that? my DB is an F-16 crew cheif and they arent allowed to wear watches or wedding rings while on the flight line which is where hes going to spend most of his days so he came to me and told me that he wants to get a tattooed wedding band. (I of course am still going to get him a regular wedding band anyways) But i was curious as to if thats allowed since i know the policies on tattoos have changed quite a bit. If anyone can enlighten me on that, it would be much appreciated.

2. Senior Member
    Not sure what the AF policies are, but I have definitely seen it on people in other branches.
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I know several couples that have them in the Air Force.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    According to this the tattoo policy for air force is basically that it cant be huge and it cant be obscene.

Contact Us: Frequently Asked Questions - airforce.com
  5. Senior Member
    I thought that any tattoo that is visible in uniform required a waiver. But I'm not at all sure about that.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Is he already enlisted? I think it's okay if he's already in, but I definitely wouldn't get a tattoo before he goes to BMT, because any tattoo requires a waiver, and they aren't giving out a whole lot of waivers these days.
  7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Had dh grab the reg for me...
    AFI 36-2903

Figure 3.3. Tattoo Measurement GuideUse the following calculation: (all measurements are to be done in inches; partial inches should be rounded up to the nearest inch). Member will be measured standing at the position of attention. If member has multiple tattoos/brands (T/B) that are clearly separate TBs, each will be measured separately and the cumulative size of the TBs cannot exceed 1⁄4 or 25% of the exposed body part.
    *Step 1- Measure the length of exposed body part.
    Arm: measure bottom of shirt sleeve (includes all combinations of uniform items: rolled-up ABU sleeve, blue shirt, etc.) to the tip of middle finger.
    Hand: measure bottom of the long-sleeve shirt to tip of middle finger.
    Leg: measure bottom of skirt to top of ankle.
    Step 2- Measure the width of the T/B at its widest point.
    Step 3- Multiply length by width to determine total square inches of the T/B.
    Step 4- Use Figures 1 and 2 above as a guide to measure the exposed body part (arm, hand, leg).
    #1- Measure the length of exposed body part.
    Arm: measure bottom of shirt sleeve (includes all combinations of uniform items: rolled up ABU/BDU sleeve, blue shirt, etc.) to the tip of middle finger.
    Hand: measure bottom of the long-sleeve shirt to tip of middle finger. Leg: measure bottom of skirt to top of ankle.
    #2- Determine the widest point within the length of the exposed body part. At that point measure the circumference of the exposed body part. For the hand, this includes both sides.
    Step 5- Multiply #1 by #2 to determine total square inches of the exposed body part.
    Step 6- Divide the total square inches of exposed body part by 4. This figure will be 1⁄4 or 25% of the exposed body part.
    Step 7- Compare the results of Step 3 and Step 6. If the result of Step 3 is a smaller number than the result of Step 6, the TB does not exceed 1⁄4 or 25% of the exposed body part.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  8. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    yeah hes already enlisted and i will be too by the time it happens. && thank you, i just wasnt sure because my recuiter told me hand tattoos arent allowed but wasnt sure if that rule applied to wedding bands.

9. Banned
    Banned
    it applies before you join, so def wait until you are in to get the ring tattoo.