Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Home Sick?

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Home Sick?

Advertisements
    I moved out of state five years ago next month. I've never really been homesick about it. I did experience an acute case of homesickness when I was 15 and spent a month overseas, but then I never experienced it again, even on longer trips and definitely not since making my own home with DH.

This feels different, it's not as overwhelming for one, it's a subtle feeling. Also, it's not like I want to go home to visit. I actually don't like going home to visit, because my parents moved to a tiny apartment, so it's uncomfortable, cramped and not "home". I also get tired and overwhelmed by so many friends and family wanting to see me in a short time. I miss everyone and love seeing them, but it's just a lot for me to have multiple commitments every day with different people. I'm a definite introvert, and I usually move at a slow pace.

Anyway, point of my post: Lately (maybe because it's Summer time and people are out doing fun things) I see pictures of my cousins and friends doing group activities, and I am just kind of sad that I rarely see them (and never talk to them, I'm not a phone talker at all). Like I said, it's weird because I don't have the urge to visit home, it's more like "If I lived there, I would have been there for that picture". I just imagine all the laughter and silliness and feel that I'm getting very far away from the bonds I had growing up. It's almost to the point that I don't even know people anymore. That is largely my fault, because like I said I don't enjoy talking on the phone to people, so I just don't.

Has anyone had a similar feeling after being moved away for a few years? It's very peculiar for me.
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here

for late nighters
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I moved away from home last September and out of my parents home for the first time. I love having my own apartment and my own life, but the thing that gets me the most is hearing things about my little sisters. I can't help but feel I'm missing out on so much of them growing up I have 4 younger sisters and one older brother, so I grew up in a busy and loud home surrounded by animals and love, so being by myself in the big city does make me feel a bit lonely sometimes.

"You are platinum in a world gone grey."
  4. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    I moved from my home state of WA to San Diego, CA, almost 4 years ago. I DEFINITELY get those feelings. They hit me hardest when it's my parents and my sister and her sons--like when both of her sons were born and I wasn't there. Or this past weekend, I was bummed that I missed out on my cousin's wedding. So yeah... I totally get how you feel. But I also sometimes get really homesick and really REALLY wish we could pack up our house and move, but it's usually when I'm going through something stressful.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  5. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    I have that feeling a lot actually. I likewhere I'm at but when my friends have get-togethers or there are wedddings and things it makes me sad that I am missing out on that. I don't exactly want to go home, but I wish I could be at those events and have fun with those people. More like people sick than home sick for me. Haha but I dont have very many friends in my location so maybe its just friends sick.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    - I get what you are saying, and have felt that way.
    Do you need us to sing you Soft Kitty?
  7. Senior Member

I've felt this way before.
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Violette View Post
    I moved away from home last September and out of my parents home for the first time. I love having my own apartment and my own life, but the thing that gets me the most is hearing things about my little sisters. I can't help but feel I'm missing out on so much of them growing up I have 4 younger sisters and one older brother, so I grew up in a busy and loud home surrounded by animals and love, so being by myself in the big city does make me feel a bit lonely sometimes.

I can imagine that is hard! I was the baby of the family, so the others were already gone. I never thought of it from the older siblings view

Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    I moved from my home state of WA to San Diego, CA, almost 4 years ago. I DEFINITELY get those feelings. They hit me hardest when it's my parents and my sister and her sons--like when both of her sons were born and I wasn't there. Or this past weekend, I was bummed that I missed out on my cousin's wedding. So yeah... I totally get how you feel. But I also sometimes get really homesick and really REALLY wish we could pack up our house and move, but it's usually when I'm going through something stressful.
    It's funny you say that about something stressful because when I wrote this post, nothing particularly stressful was going on for me, but today I found my dad has colon cancer, so now it kind of makes that feeling of wishing I just lived there and was around even stronger. I hate missing weddings too! No one too close to me has had a baby yet, but I'm sure that'll start happening eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by eelizah View Post
    I have that feeling a lot actually. I likewhere I'm at but when my friends have get-togethers or there are wedddings and things it makes me sad that I am missing out on that. I don't exactly want to go home, but I wish I could be at those events and have fun with those people. More like people sick than home sick for me. Haha but I dont have very many friends in my location so maybe its just friends sick.
    I love where we live and feel like it's "my" home, but I still miss all family stuff and just being available for it, not having to plan a flight home with dogs and packing and living in a suitcase.

Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    - I get what you are saying, and have felt that way.
    Do you need us to sing you Soft Kitty?
    I don't know if I need you to or not, what is Soft Kitty?

Quote Originally Posted by MissNik View Post

I've felt this way before.
    Thanks for sharing. It's a feeling I had never quite put into words before, but it's making a ton of sense to me now about how I process being away from home.
  9. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    It's funny you say that about something stressful because when I wrote this post, nothing particularly stressful was going on for me, but today I found my dad has colon cancer, so now it kind of makes that feeling of wishing I just lived there and was around even stronger. I hate missing weddings too! No one too close to me has had a baby yet, but I'm sure that'll start happening eventually.
    My sister was about 7 months pregnant with her first when we moved. My kids were 6 and 3. My sister BAWLED the day we left (and she's not the emotional type). I figured it was just pregnancy hormones, but after she had HER first, I realized how much she missed my kids and watching them grow up (in person). Now that she has kids, it's harder for me.

I don't know if I need you to or not, what is Soft Kitty?
    You must watch and listen! The Big Bang Theory - Soft Kitty - YouTube
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  10. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick