Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't know what to do about School

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Don't know what to do about School

Advertisements
    Hello everyone. I am currently 4 months away from graduating with my LPN nursing license. The problem is, I've felt like I don't want to be a nurse any more. I don't feel like its for me and I truly don't enjoy my clinicals and doing procedures. The only thing keeping me going is the pay afterwards, and what my parents think, as they are paying for half of my school. My DB is joining the military soon, and he thinks that I should continue to finish school so we can have more money when we are married. He wants me to be happy, but he thinks it will be easier if once we get a first station, I work as a nurse for extra money. I planned on working still If I quit school, it just might be a minimum wage job till I find out what I want to do. My questions to y'all are, do you think financially it would be a bad decision to quit school? I would live at home for a little bit before anything to work and to pay off my half of the loans and save. And is it even practical to be a nurse as a military spouse? It's not what I want to do.

I just really don't know what to do. I know in my heart that I don't want to be a nurse anymore. It's just not for me. But logically I think it would be nice to have the money once I can work at our first station. Please, any advice or encouragement even would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
  2. Regular Member
    I'm not usually one to tell someone to quit school, but I also know that nursing is one of those jobs that if you're miserable doing it, all of your patients are going to be miserable around you. It's long hours and hard work, and to do that when you don't enjoy it is going to take a toll on you quickly.

That being said, you are soooooo close to being done. Only 4 months! So I want to say, finish up the degree just so you have it. If you had 3 years left I'd understand quitting, but you're so close! Finish it up and then if you want to find a job doing something else, go for it. But at least you will have that to fall back on if you ever change your mind.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jillybean88 View Post
    I'm not usually one to tell someone to quit school, but I also know that nursing is one of those jobs that if you're miserable doing it, all of your patients are going to be miserable around you. It's long hours and hard work, and to do that when you don't enjoy it is going to take a toll on you quickly.

That being said, you are soooooo close to being done. Only 4 months! So I want to say, finish up the degree just so you have it. If you had 3 years left I'd understand quitting, but you're so close! Finish it up and then if you want to find a job doing something else, go for it. But at least you will have that to fall back on if you ever change your mind.
    I was thinking exactly this! 4 months away from your degree I think it would be the wrong decision to quit now.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jillybean88 View Post
    This! Get the degree. It would be a great fallback option to have. And from what I've heard nursing is a good and portable career to have as a military spouse. I would still encourage you to find something that you really love doing but it's never a bad thing to have that certification under your belt.
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I would get the degree too, personally. You are not very far away. And yeah, when you are done, you can still work outside your field if you are positive that you wouldn't be happy being a nurse. The degree will be good security though, just in case.

From a practical standpoint, if you are applying for jobs I think it sounds better to say that you completed this degree but found you have a passion for <other career>, rather than to have incomplete schooling listed on your resume.
  6. Senior Member
    Finish it. It's valuable to have a degree even if you don't pursue a career in that field. You're too close to quit now.
  7. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

As a former nursing school dropout (I was in the middle of my junior year clinicals), if you're 4 months away, finish it. You might know that your heart isn't in it (totally get it. Mine wasn't either), then don't do it. But you are SO CLOSE to being done. At least finish it up and then think about what you really want to do. Evaluate it. You don't have to work in a nursing home or a hospital; you can use your degree as a leap frog if nothing else.

I was still 1.5 years away and couldn't force myself to finish. I knew it wasn't for me. However, I already HAD a BA degree and was working on my second bachelor's degree. If I had realized I didn't want to do it with 4 MONtHS left, I probably would have pushed through.

Good luck with your decision; do what you think you need to do, but a degree won't hurt you and can only help and have you something to fall back on if you ever need it.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

8. sassypants
    sassypants
    the cert never hurts

you can go back to school later, with money made with the degree to pay for what you really want when you find t

think about all the things you have learned, don't give up now
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  9. By the power of Greyskull...
    By the power of Greyskull...
    What kind of clinicals are you doing? What made you decide to go to nursing school in the first place? Tap back into that. Nursing school is HARD, but you started nursing school for a reason. The beauty of nursing is that there are a million different places you can work or things you can do- it's harder to get that portability with a LPN vs. RN, but it's better than nothing. If your clinicals are in a general med/surg or nursing home environment, I'd hate it too!
  10. Senior Member
    Being this close, I would definitely finish! You can always do something else after, but you're almost there and a degree is always good to have.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast