Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone been to korea for there SO?

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

Help anyone been to korea for there SO?

Advertisements
    so ive been thinking about surprising my DB for christmas and news years. hes at kunsan AFB and i just wanted to know if anyone could recommend airlines that arent so expensive, i know its gonna cost a lot though. and if anyone can suggest places to stay while there, good tourist attractions maybe? and what if i want to get on base without him? never really done this so im not too sure what the protocols would be. if anyone can help me out that would be amazing.
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolee View Post
    so ive been thinking about surprising my DB for christmas and news years. hes at kunsan AFB and i just wanted to know if anyone could recommend airlines that arent so expensive, i know its gonna cost a lot though. and if anyone can suggest places to stay while there, good tourist attractions maybe? and what if i want to get on base without him? never really done this so im not too sure what the protocols would be. if anyone can help me out that would be amazing.
    Kunsan is pretty much in the boonies; I'm not sure there are any hotels there. Getting on base without him will not happen unless you know someone here who can sign you on. Airlines are airlines; just don't fly Delta because Delta sucks. A friend of mine flew to the States recently from here and Delta was the cheapest choice but she actually paid MORE to fly a different airlines!
  3. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    Kunsan is pretty much in the boonies; I'm not sure there are any hotels there. Getting on base without him will not happen unless you know someone here who can sign you on. Airlines are airlines; just don't fly Delta because Delta sucks. A friend of mine flew to the States recently from here and Delta was the cheapest choice but she actually paid MORE to fly a different airlines!
    would it be better if i just stayed near osan? because he said hes gonna try to spend as much time there as he can since its supposed to be the better base.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolee View Post
    Surprise visits are not always a good idea - and I think that applies especially to visits to bases in foreign countries where there are a whole lot of additional concerns involved if/when you get there and the surprise is on you because your SO is unavailable. I am not saying don't go - by all means, what a great opportunity for you and the two of you together, just saying that you would be far better off to plan your visit together so that you can be sure you have your i's dotted, t's crossed, he can get leave for the time you will be there and you can have someone there on the ground to help you coordinate/plan things such as lodging, things to see/do, transportation, access to facilities (base), etc.
  5. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Osan has plenty of places to stay but I'm not sure about ready transportation between the two bases. I will check for you.
  6. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Surprise visits are not always a good idea - and I think that applies especially to visits to bases in foreign countries where there are a whole lot of additional concerns involved if/when you get there and the surprise is on you because your SO is unavailable. I am not saying don't go - by all means, what a great opportunity for you and the two of you together, just saying that you would be far better off to plan your visit together so that you can be sure you have your i's dotted, t's crossed, he can get leave for the time you will be there and you can have someone there on the ground to help you coordinate/plan things such as lodging, things to see/do, transportation, access to facilities (base), etc.
    yeah i was trying to just coordinate it with his mom. so then if he got suspicious then he'd just think its his mom coming to visit not me. but i definitely see what your saying and i think i might just talk to him about it.
  7. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    Osan has plenty of places to stay but I'm not sure about ready transportation between the two bases. I will check for you.
    okay thank you so much!
  8. Regular Member
    I went and visited when my boyfriend was stationed at Osan (granted 2 years ago). I definitely would not recommend a completely surprise visit. I don't know how things are at Kunsan, but they had a large number of exercises at Osan. Getting all the way over there only to discover that he is working for 12 hours a day and can't see you would be awful.

I flew over on Asiana Airways, he used Delta when he came home on leave. AA was the cheapest when I was flying and, comparing our flights, substantially nicer than Delta. I rented a phone at the airport when I landed and took a bus to get near the base. I loved the public transportation over there.

As for places to stay, I found that many of the hotels in Korea did not have websites. The ones that did generally either cost a fair amount of money or were not in English. We spent the entire trip, except for one night up in Seoul, staying at the base hotel. Pretty sure that when his parents went over they also stayed at the base hotel. I would highly recommend looking into that. He had to make the reservations and after the initial 3-day period he had to check in everyday (it was some sort of space-A thing) but it was clean, super affordable, and convenient.

As for touristy stuff, it depends what you like. We had a lot of fun going to Everland (an amusement park), touring the DMZ, and just wandering around. The korean spas can be interesting. Building 63 has an art gallery on the 60th floor, a great view of Seoul (particularly when the sun is setting), shopping, and an aquarium.
  9. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitinboots View Post
    I went and visited when my boyfriend was stationed at Osan (granted 2 years ago). I definitely would not recommend a completely surprise visit. I don't know how things are at Kunsan, but they had a large number of exercises at Osan. Getting all the way over there only to discover that he is working for 12 hours a day and can't see you would be awful.

I flew over on Asiana Airways, he used Delta when he came home on leave. AA was the cheapest when I was flying and, comparing our flights, substantially nicer than Delta. I rented a phone at the airport when I landed and took a bus to get near the base. I loved the public transportation over there.

As for places to stay, I found that many of the hotels in Korea did not have websites. The ones that did generally either cost a fair amount of money or were not in English. We spent the entire trip, except for one night up in Seoul, staying at the base hotel. Pretty sure that when his parents went over they also stayed at the base hotel. I would highly recommend looking into that. He had to make the reservations and after the initial 3-day period he had to check in everyday (it was some sort of space-A thing) but it was clean, super affordable, and convenient.

As for touristy stuff, it depends what you like. We had a lot of fun going to Everland (an amusement park), touring the DMZ, and just wandering around. The korean spas can be interesting. Building 63 has an art gallery on the 60th floor, a great view of Seoul (particularly when the sun is setting), shopping, and an aquarium.
    ditto...the surprise aspect is really tricky and really haphazard at best. What if he's called up due to a terrorist threat in that period or a storm hits and he's confined to base? or he goes TAD? or they take all liberty away? Sorry but i think you should really leave the surprise aspect to a time when he's stateside.
  10. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Okay, I checked with my friend. Kunsan is seriously a small town. There ARE intercity buses from Songtan (the town in which Osan Air Base is located) once or twice a day and if you go up to Osan (the city, not the base) they have more buses daily. However, from the bus station in Kunsan to the base, a taxi ride costs about $15 one way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast