Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel silly admiting this

1. Senior Member

I feel silly admiting this

Advertisements
    I feel a little bit embarrassed admitting to this and asking for advice... I'm 25, still living at home but will be moving out next Monday. Problem is, I'm starting to have real problems with this. I'm scared of being on my own for the first time and leaving everyone I know here. I'm only moving an hour and half away and I know it's not much, but it feels like I'm so far away. I feel like I should be excited to finally have my own place and everything, but I just feel sad and have actually been crying a few times when packing up my stuff. I just feel very emotional and stressed out. Not how I expected to feel.

Is it normal to feel sad? Any way I can deal with it better and not feel so silly about it?
  2. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

I bawled like a baby when my parents dropped me off at college, 3 hours away where I didn't know a soul. Change is scary; if you've never done it by 25, you're still going to feel the same reservations an fears as those of us who did it a little earlier . You got this!
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I haven't lived at home sincè I was 18 but I am still terrified every time I move somewhere new and I have been doing it my entire life its scary at first but you'll get the hang of it!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Bazinga* View Post
    I bawled like a baby when my parents dropped me off at college, 3 hours away where I didn't know a soul. Change is scary; if you've never done it by 25, you're still going to feel the same reservations an fears as those of us who did it a little earlier . You got this!
    Thank you. I've done studying abroad and there being on my own before and it was so much farther away, but this time, it just feels more final. I'm just not sure I'm ready to be a grown up, be on my own, have a job. All in a place where I do not know anyone. But I also feel silly for being so scared and just sitting here crying.
  5. Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    Totally normal. Moving out is moving out of your comfort zone. Moving an hour and a half away is a pretty big move! It means learning a new town, new stores, probably new hairstylists and doctors, making new friends who live near you. Its a big change and being nervous and sad about it seems totally normal to me. But hopefully as your house or apartment starts coming together and you start learning your new area a little better, it'll start getting more exciting. You'll have days you'll wish you never moved because you'll miss your friends and family and seeing them at the drop of a hat, but you'll also have days that you are so glad you expanded your horizons and allowed yourself the oppurtunity to be able to tell your friends that you're coming home next weekend, then at the end of the weekend, that you're going home. (I do that. KY and OH are both home to me so i call travelling to either "going home"))
  6. Senior Member
    Completely normal. I lived at home until I was 22? 23? And I moved across the COUNTRY to live with DH (then DB). I'm talking Florida to Alaska...holy. freakin'. crap.

Dealing with it - just depends on you. I took a kazillion and two pictures with family and friends before moving so I would have things to look at rather than just in my head. Also, on the flight to Alaska I had my childhood stuffed animal that has always calmed me down and been sort of a "peaceful" item for me. (I'm 26 and still grab Bessie [stuffed animal] and hug her when I need to.) If you have something like that, embrace it.

It'll take time to get used to, but it'll come.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    I haven't lived at home sincè I was 18 but I am still terrified every time I move somewhere new and I have been doing it my entire life its scary at first but you'll get the hang of it!
    Well said. I even had nerves moving to AZ with then DF....and I had previously lived alone during college, and on the east coast alone. Change can be scary, but exciting too. Good luck to you in your new adventure!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It is completely "normal" - this is a big change. As exciting as it is, it is also scary and sad.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I've also moved away from home on my own and it's totally normal to be sad. It's a huge change and you won't be so close to your family anymore. It might take a while for you to begin to love your new surroundings so if you don't like it right away, give it time
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Thank you. I've done studying abroad and there being on my own before and it was so much farther away, but this time, it just feels more final. I'm just not sure I'm ready to be a grown up, be on my own, have a job. All in a place where I do not know anyone. But I also feel silly for being so scared and just sitting here crying.
    Moving to a new place where you don't know a soul can be scary. I've done it. I moved six hours away from any one I knew but think of it as an adventure! You can be and do anything you want without anyone judging you because no one knows you. It was be very exhilarating and you can really find yourself. Try not to be sad. You have lots of good things ahead of you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast