Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long term stays in hotels?

1. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Long term stays in hotels?

Advertisements
    In a couple of weeks I"m going to have to attend training for my new job, the training is about a month long and it's too far away to commute. The good side is that my company is paying all expenses (mileage, hotel, per diem, etc.).

That bad news is that I'm going to be living in a hotel for a month. It's a kind of far drive, and my work schedule will be pretty different from DH's, so I'm expecting him maybe to visit once or twice, if at all.

I'm bringing a laptop, my Kindle, etc. etc. for entertainment but I still feel like it's not going to be the most fun thing to live in a hotel for so long. It is an extended stay suite type place so at least I can do some cooking etc. but still. Any tips to make it less awful?
  2. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Bring a few small pictures, a throw blanket you like

Small touches of home really help.
  3. Senior Member
    Do they have wireless internet? If not, bring your own wireless router, if at all possible. We did this when we moved to Germany (the hotel has since put in wireless) and it made things so much more tolerable.

Bring a few organizational items, like a laundry basket and a door hook to hang clothes. Also, bring scented candles or some kind of room fragrance items. Hotels often smell stale, and even if they don't it helps to have a place that smells like home, or at least smells nice.

Bring your own pillow, and maybe even your own blanket.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

befriend the other people in your training!! i was in a hotel for 3 months in tucson and the only thing that got me through was not staying in the room all the time. and bring anything you could need/ want from home to make yourself comfy
  5. Senior Member
    My dad does it all the time. It's really boring and sucks. But he works physical labor for 12 hours, ten days in a row, so when he gets back to the hotel he just sleeps lol.
    Is there stuff to do around your hotel? A pool maybe?
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Do research on the places you are looking into staying for reports of bed bugs.
    Bed Bug Registry - Check Apartments and Hotels Across North America

Thoroughly check your room (research what to look for if you don't know) when you get there as well. Bed bugs are a bitch to get rid of.

7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyprincess13 View Post
    Bring a few small pictures, a throw blanket you like

Small touches of home really help.
    That's a great idea! I'm definitely gonna bring pics and a blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Do they have wireless internet? If not, bring your own wireless router, if at all possible. We did this when we moved to Germany (the hotel has since put in wireless) and it made things so much more tolerable.

Bring a few organizational items, like a laundry basket and a door hook to hang clothes. Also, bring scented candles or some kind of room fragrance items. Hotels often smell stale, and even if they don't it helps to have a place that smells like home, or at least smells nice.

Bring your own pillow, and maybe even your own blanket.
    DH said that about internet too. I checked the hotel website and they have wireless, so that's good. Sometimes the wireless on the laptop is weird though, so I'm gonna bring some cat5 just in case.

Totally makes sense about my own bedding, and candles.

Quote Originally Posted by *Blondie* View Post
    befriend the other people in your training!! i was in a hotel for 3 months in tucson and the only thing that got me through was not staying in the room all the time. and bring anything you could need/ want from home to make yourself comfy
    That's really great advice too! This week, I'm going to meet the other people from here that are going so I'm glad I"ll have kind of a head start with knowing people. I know I don't wanna stay cooped up the whole time either. And wow, 3 months! That is a super long stay.
  8. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    I travel lots for my job - but don't stay in one place for very long. I definitely try to make sure I use music/DVDs, photos, scents to make the room feel more like home. I also take my own pillow. If I were travelling longer, I'd be certain to take DH's clothes to sleep in. I can usually get comfy in a space in just a few minutes - it's AMAZING how quickly I can completely take over a space.

Remember that you are still you no matter where you spend the night - DH is with you in your heart.
  9. Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    When I moved to KY, I left DS with my parents in Cleveland while I looked for an apartment. I stayed in one of those ValuePlace hotels. I brought a candle and a picture of my son. That was really it. I found the hotel pretty comfy for being what it was. I even had a friend move to KY and we shared the room for a week before moving into a place.
  10. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    I always bring my pillow with me. I also love to take baths to relax, so I would take some bath stuff.

If you're big into cooking, I would take some cookware with me, too. When we last visited an extended stay hotel, their options were fairly limited in the kitchen.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast