Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: At a loss about my land lady (long post but I am really at a loss)

1. sassypants
    sassypants

At a loss about my land lady (long post but I am really at a loss)

Advertisements
    I am sure you guys have seen my two venting threads about My landlord. To Summarize, she is crazy.

-she wont give me receipts for cash transactions.

-she has lost my money in the past and accused me of stealing, when I had video evidence of paying. She also has lost a room mates "direct deposit" claiming she never got it even though he has a receipt. she makes us put it all in this locked mailbox, and she cant even clean it out properly, and has left things in there by accident. She does NOT admit guilt, for ANYTHING

-she now makes us pay for all of her bills, by going to each of the offices and paying our portion ourselves ( i GO to PG&E, water, garbage, wait in line, and pay exactly my portion, this yes, give me a receipt, but it goes ageist what she has in the lease, puts us at risk if ONE person decides not to pay, and creates a headache all around)

-She has gone in my room, abit only to "leave money on my desk" but SHE WENT IN MY ROOM!

-she comes over ALL THE TIME. Yes it says in my lease that she is legally allowed in the common areas to fix the house and pick up stuff without notice, but EVERY time she comes, she comments that we are not cleaning enough, threatens to force us to pay for a house cleaner (now, our house is not dirty, by any stretch of the imagination, in fact, so few people are home it is clean. There is no mold, no dishes in the sink, the floor gets washed every week, but the woman comes and sorts our GARBAGE complaining that were not recycling right!!!!"

-we have to pay an extra $15 a month for a "gardening fee". The agreement is that her son and her husband come and do the garden 2x a month. THe first month I was here they only came once, the second month, his son brought his friends. They come in the house and use the bathroom and this makes me uncomfortable. also, They do NOTHING. We have no grass. We have a veggie garden that one of the tenants takes care of. a few desert like plants, and that is it. The stuff they "garden" is matinance they should be doing anyway. Trimming trees to make sure there are no hornets nests and we can back our car out the drive way. Removing old rotten tree stumps, etc. WHen they DO clean up yard waste, they come days before trash is out, and just leave it in piles on the street, or in bins spread across the yard. They leave their water and Gatorade bottles in the yard, along with the tools. I am paying to cleaning up their mess in the bathroom and their trash in the yard, also, the fee is not being used exactly as it was explained.

-when we agreed to the rent, I was told I could add the gardening fee into the rent, This month, i paid the rent before she announced it, but all of a sudden she is saying she wants it in the lock mailbox she has set up in the house. So now I have to put money Back IN the box she continually looses money out of, she refuses checks too, so its cash only and does not give us receipts.

-I had a mistake in my direct deposit. I gave her 2 months rent instead of 1. When I emailed her about this she said she would give me the mony back instead of taking it for the next months rent because it had the gardening fee in it, and she really REALLY wants that only in cash now. I say whatever, I can be there to take it thursday and friday, but I am busy all weekend. She messes up thursday, and calls me saying the bank is closed, how about tomorrow, so I can get a cashiers check (apparently her brother is all the way in PA and "he is the one with the checks to the house account, so she cant get them" but she can get access to the account at the bank????) She then proceeds to stand me up on friday night, when I make room in my schedule to get the money. I get a call, on saturday, 2 hours into my 3 days worth of 9 hour shifts (and sleeping at DBs so im not around at all) wondering why im not at the house because she just happened to "stop by" to give me the money :gah now I have to go to her work on tuesday to get my money back. all because she does not want to take it as next months rent because she's insisting that the gardening portion be taken OUT of the rent to be paid in the box

-she has evicted everyone but me at some point or another, everyone pays their bills on time, or else she loses them, just now my room mate put his money in the box and she claimed no one paid anything in the box........I can see the money with the flash light in the box. She tried to say the same thing to me but I recorded a video of me placing the money in the box and uploaded it online on the same date

-we made a group email to approach her with these issues, but when we did, she simply stated "please do not come to me as a group, I do not know who to address " she gets us by ourselves and tries to lie to us. most of the time I do not call her on it because there is NO point fighting with stupid she tried to pass that "it is state law that we have to keep the AC on at 68 degrees when it is over 80 degrees" WE LIVE IN CA, it is ALWAYS over 80 in July!

-our refrigerator broke, so she is getting a new one. Totally ok, until she threatened to throw out all our food to instal the new one.

-all of a sudden she says that we cant drink in the house, not in my lease, and im am 22 years old!

I want out
    she is impossible to deal with, she makes mountains out of mole hills and will not admit fault for anything. I keep a record of everything now, and record and take pictures of everything I can

but

help? advice? seriously
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Do you know where the closest legal aid office is? Honestly, she sounds bat-shit and if I were you, I would work at finding a legal way out of the lease and moving.

If you go to legal aid and they can help you find a legal way to break the lease, you will have proof to show any future potential landlord in the event she tries to black mark your rental history.

3. sassypants
    sassypants
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Do you know where the closest legal aid office is? Honestly, she sounds bat-shit and if I were you, I would work at finding a legal way out of the lease and moving.

If you go to legal aid and they can help you find a legal way to break the lease, you will have proof to show any future potential landlord in the event she tries to black mark your rental history.

thats another thing

im a first time renter, so Shes my first land lady. I dont want to mess up my history
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

Also, do you have all the crazy things that she requests in writing? Like, the cash only policy (with no option of receipts)? I'd go armed with all the evidence you can (pictures of the "yard" that is "maintained," etc.). I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. If you do get out of the lease, is there a place you can move to easily with little notice? Or a place you can stay in the meantime?
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We had trouble with a landlord about ten years ago. She was horrible and did not understand tenants rights. We documented everything and the Legal office at the base we were at helped us break the lease. We still have the paper work from the legal office in a file so we can show it to anyone if we have to.

She tried to make it look like it was our fault but we have documentation and can prove to anyone to this day that we didn't do anything wrong.

Going to legal aid can help you. You have rights and she's trampling all over them.
  6. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    I'm also wondering if your LEASE says you have to pay in cash?
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  7. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    A check is legal tender--my dad is a landlord and said she can't refuse it unless a check has bounced--THEN the landlord can demand payment in cash or money order.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  8. sassypants
    sassypants
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    A check is legal tender--my dad is a landlord and said she can't refuse it unless a check has bounced--THEN the landlord can demand payment in cash or money order.
    it does not say cash

she does not mind rent in check, but any other payments have to be in cash
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  9. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggleWiggle~ View Post
    I am sure you guys have seen my two venting threads about My landlord. To Summarize, she is crazy.

-she wont give me receipts for cash transactions.

I would tell her no receipt no cash. Period. Even if you have to write the receipt yourself and have her sign it. Until then I would continue to record when you put money in the box. I would start with recording the newspaper so you can prove the date and then video as you put the money in the box.

-she has lost my money in the past and accused me of stealing, when I had video evidence of paying. She also has lost a room mates "direct deposit" claiming she never got it even though he has a receipt. she makes us put it all in this locked mailbox, and she cant even clean it out properly, and has left things in there by accident. She does NOT admit guilt, for ANYTHING.

This is why I would insist on receipts. Period. Refuse to pay without a receipt. If she threatens to evict you I would go to court and explain why. If you already have videos then you have your proof.

-she now makes us pay for all of her bills, by going to each of the offices and paying our portion ourselves ( i GO to PG&E, water, garbage, wait in line, and pay exactly my portion, this yes, give me a receipt, but it goes ageist what she has in the lease, puts us at risk if ONE person decides not to pay, and creates a headache all around)

Personally I would gather up all the money for the bills and pay them one time. Maybe take turns or have one person responsible for each bill. You can always set up electronic bill pay for those bills and then you don't have to get in line, or mail a check (take a photo of the check) and then keep that to show you paid.

-She has gone in my room, abit only to "leave money on my desk" but SHE WENT IN MY ROOM!

What does your lease say about her entering your personal space? If she did it again I would send her a certified letter reminding her that she is not supposed to enter your personal space in accordance with the lease and if she does again you will consider that a violation of the lease on her part and will move out. If she does it again, I would send her another certified letter giving her 30 day notice that you intend to move based on her violating the terms of the lease.

-she comes over ALL THE TIME. Yes it says in my lease that she is legally allowed in the common areas to fix the house and pick up stuff without notice, but EVERY time she comes, she comments that we are not cleaning enough, threatens to force us to pay for a house cleaner (now, our house is not dirty, by any stretch of the imagination, in fact, so few people are home it is clean. There is no mold, no dishes in the sink, the floor gets washed every week, but the woman comes and sorts our GARBAGE complaining that were not recycling right!!!!"

I would check on the state laws. This may not be legal. You rent, that is your home. You are entitled to privacy and she should not be entering without advance notice. The trash thing...good grief.

-we have to pay an extra $15 a month for a "gardening fee". The agreement is that her son and her husband come and do the garden 2x a month. THe first month I was here they only came once, the second month, his son brought his friends. They come in the house and use the bathroom and this makes me uncomfortable. also, They do NOTHING. We have no grass. We have a veggie garden that one of the tenants takes care of. a few desert like plants, and that is it. The stuff they "garden" is matinance they should be doing anyway. Trimming trees to make sure there are no hornets nests and we can back our car out the drive way. Removing old rotten tree stumps, etc. WHen they DO clean up yard waste, they come days before trash is out, and just leave it in piles on the street, or in bins spread across the yard. They leave their water and Gatorade bottles in the yard, along with the tools. I am paying to cleaning up their mess in the bathroom and their trash in the yard, also, the fee is not being used exactly as it was explained.

I would take photos of the mess they leave and I would not let them in the house. Period. They need to come do the job and leave. If they do it again, I would print the photos, write her a letter and tell her that you are not paying a gardener fee for that lack of service and to have men that you are not related to come into your home. It's your home as long as you are renting from her. I wouldn't be comfortable with that either.

-when we agreed to the rent, I was told I could add the gardening fee into the rent, This month, i paid the rent before she announced it, but all of a sudden she is saying she wants it in the lock mailbox she has set up in the house. So now I have to put money Back IN the box she continually looses money out of, she refuses checks too, so its cash only and does not give us receipts.

See above. Sorry. No receipt, no cash.

-I had a mistake in my direct deposit. I gave her 2 months rent instead of 1. When I emailed her about this she said she would give me the mony back instead of taking it for the next months rent because it had the gardening fee in it, and she really REALLY wants that only in cash now. I say whatever, I can be there to take it thursday and friday, but I am busy all weekend. She messes up thursday, and calls me saying the bank is closed, how about tomorrow, so I can get a cashiers check (apparently her brother is all the way in PA and "he is the one with the checks to the house account, so she cant get them" but she can get access to the account at the bank????) She then proceeds to stand me up on friday night, when I make room in my schedule to get the money. I get a call, on saturday, 2 hours into my 3 days worth of 9 hour shifts (and sleeping at DBs so im not around at all) wondering why im not at the house because she just happened to "stop by" to give me the money :gah now I have to go to her work on tuesday to get my money back. all because she does not want to take it as next months rent because she's insisting that the gardening portion be taken OUT of the rent to be paid in the box

I'm confused. Are you paying cash or direct deposit? If you don't get your money before the next rent cycle, I would again send her a certified letter explaining that due to the fact that she did not return your money as promised she can consider that the money for the current month due.

-she has evicted everyone but me at some point or another, everyone pays their bills on time, or else she loses them, just now my room mate put his money in the box and she claimed no one paid anything in the box........I can see the money with the flash light in the box. She tried to say the same thing to me but I recorded a video of me placing the money in the box and uploaded it online on the same date

To this and the next, I would not speak to her alone....and I would encourage your roomies not to. I would take your lease to someone that can tell you if the lease is legal and then I would request a meeting with her. IF she refuses, I would write a letter and have everyone sign it and send it certified mail.

-we made a group email to approach her with these issues, but when we did, she simply stated "please do not come to me as a group, I do not know who to address " she gets us by ourselves and tries to lie to us. most of the time I do not call her on it because there is NO point fighting with stupid she tried to pass that "it is state law that we have to keep the AC on at 68 degrees when it is over 80 degrees" WE LIVE IN CA, it is ALWAYS over 80 in July!

She can't force you to keep your AC that low. IF she wants to pay the electric bill that's one thing. I would tell her that until she shows you the law in writing, you will continue to keep the ac at the level you want and can afford.

-our refrigerator broke, so she is getting a new one. Totally ok, until she threatened to throw out all our food to instal the new one.

-all of a sudden she says that we cant drink in the house, not in my lease, and im am 22 years old!

Is everyone over 21? IF so I don't thing she can tell you that. I did put in my rental agreement on my house that there would be no under age consumption in the house and the roommate that was responsible if it occured would be asked to move out immediately.

I want out
    she is impossible to deal with, she makes mountains out of mole hills and will not admit fault for anything. I keep a record of everything now, and record and take pictures of everything I can

but

help? advice? seriously
    As I said before, I would see if there is an agency that assists with landlord tenant rights/disputes and have the lease reviewed. I know WA has one. Document everything. The lease is supposed to protect both the tenant and the landlord. You shouldn't have to deal with that.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  10. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast