Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: U.S. Census Bureau- American Community Survey

  1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    #luci's Avatar
    #luci is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,548
    Weekly Activity
    13.33%
    #1

    U.S. Census Bureau- American Community Survey

    Need some guidance.

    Since Christmas break, I've been receiving notes on my door from a man who works with the U.S. Department of Commerce. I haven't been home when he stops by, but his notes urge me to contact him to make an appointment to answer some questions for an American Community Survey. He has been coming nearly every other day now and its starting to frustrate me. I honestly do not have time to contact him, nor do I even fully understand what his purpose is.

    I received the letter below:


    So obviously, its alarming to me that I am required by law to respond to something that I don't fully understand. I found some information from this source: How to Legally Refuse to Participate in the Census Survey | Truth is Treason that has me wondering if this ACS is entirely constitutional. Sure, I could go ahead and just answer questions, but like the link points out, the state and local governments already have my information, as does the federal government through my IRS forms. It just feels sketchy to respond to questions from some man who knocks at my door. And I feel like his efforts are fruitless, they scored a big one when they selected my apartment- broke college kid.

    Has anyone else had experience directly with this ACS?
  2. Senior Member
    itchywitch's Avatar
    itchywitch is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Twentynine Palms
    Posts
    2,735
    Weekly Activity
    0.93%
    #2
    Just answer the survey. .


    No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  3. Account Closed
    GingerGirl15's Avatar
    GingerGirl15 is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    3,409
    Weekly Activity
    79.33%
    #3
    Are you saying you don't want to take it because you don't quite understand its purpose or yo just don't think you should be required to take it?

    If it's the first reason, the survey is important for the country to be able to compile vital data about its population. It's the newer (unfortunately longer and more comprehensive) version of the 10 year census from my understanding. The information you give would be important even if you are only a broke college kid. It's a nuisance but I think worth filling out.
  4. Account Closed
    His*PITA*'s Avatar
    His*PITA* is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over a rainbow
    Posts
    69,431
    Weekly Activity
    527.42%

    #4
    While other areas of the government may have your information, its probably easier for them to go about it this way and/or they don't have access to that information.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    CindyLouWho's Avatar
    CindyLouWho is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    24,157
    Weekly Activity
    0.93%
    #5
    I don't understand why you're making a big deal about this. They go more in depth in certain communities to help determine funding and such. I'd just answer the survey.

  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    DakotaCowgirl's Avatar
    DakotaCowgirl is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Here...going to Germany
    Posts
    11,324
    Weekly Activity
    7.13%
    #6
    If you are uncomfortable, just go to the website (do a google search to ensure it is accurate) and do it there.

    It isn't a big deal really. Just ask you a few questions to see how they can help the community.
    "It is endemic of the current culture that those with large stature are overlooked except by vultures. With no regard to the depth of their souls, the height of their passion, and the beauty of their moments." P.J. Pete

    MacGyver can make Chuck Norris out of duct tape and a spork.

    Hates Brackets!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    #luci's Avatar
    #luci is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,548
    Weekly Activity
    13.33%
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerGirl15 View Post
    Are you saying you don't want to take it because you don't quite understand its purpose or yo just don't think you should be required to take it?

    If it's the first reason, the survey is important for the country to be able to compile vital data about its population. It's the newer (unfortunately longer and more comprehensive) version of the 10 year census from my understanding. The information you give would be important even if you are only a broke college kid. It's a nuisance but I think worth filling out.
    A little bit of both. It just doesn't strike me as normal, at least not the delivery of the survey. I don't see why some representative needs to come to my door to ask questions about the household when the information is already given in the census. Why not mail it out like the census itself? I've lived here since July and haven't received anything in the mail about this, so an actual person coming to my door just doesn't sit well with me since I live alone.

    I asked my dad about this as well and he was also confused as to their method of survey taking. My dad has studied constitutional law and also seemed wary on the purpose/delivery of the survey.

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
    I don't understand why you're making a big deal about this. They go more in depth in certain communities to help determine funding and such. I'd just answer the survey.
    I'm making a big deal out of this? I'm asking if anyone has had any experience with this particular survey. Do you typically call numbers on business cards that are attached to your door?
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Tojai's Avatar
    Tojai is offline
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ft. Hood
    Posts
    27,684
    Weekly Activity
    69.1%


    #8
    You said youre in college - does your school have any services to provide legal advice to students? Or if it has a law school you could see if anyone in that dept would be willing to provide advicr/more info.
  9. Account Closed
    His*PITA*'s Avatar
    His*PITA* is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Somewhere over a rainbow
    Posts
    69,431
    Weekly Activity
    527.42%

    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Biebz<3 View Post
    A little bit of both. It just doesn't strike me as normal, at least not the delivery of the survey. I don't see why some representative needs to come to my door to ask questions about the household when the information is already given in the census. Why not mail it out like the census itself? I've lived here since July and haven't received anything in the mail about this, so an actual person coming to my door just doesn't sit well with me since I live alone.

    I asked my dad about this as well and he was also confused as to their method of survey taking. My dad has studied constitutional law and also seemed wary on the purpose/delivery of the survey.



    I'm making a big deal out of this? I'm asking if anyone has had any experience with this particular survey. Do you typically call numbers on business cards that are attached to your door?
    I'm not Cindy, but yes... If I was getting frequent notes on my door from a government agency, I would call...
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    #luci's Avatar
    #luci is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,548
    Weekly Activity
    13.33%
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    You said youre in college - does your school have any services to provide legal advice to students? Or if it has a law school you could see if anyone in that dept would be willing to provide advicr/more info.
    Yes they do. I was thinking of either going to them, or contacting a city rep about it. I've called my apartment complex and they said they don't know of any other residents who have received notes on their door like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •