Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Credit Card Fraud?

1. Regular Member
    Him: Basic Training, Lackland AFB Me: Northern NJ

Credit Card Fraud?

Advertisements
    4 or 5 years back, before we met, my FIL stole DH's identity, took out a credit card, & maxed it out. They had a huge argument at the time. DH ended up stuck w/ the debt b/c his dad is perpetually broke. But DH worked hard to restore his credit & the debt is now paid off.
    I got mail from DH's credit card company today. Enclosed was his new card (I assume his old one expired), but there was one in his dad's name too. I'm concerned about this. I assume this is the credit card that his dad took out in the first place. I know DH kept it b/c we've talked about how cancelling cards negatively impacts credit & that neither of us would do it. At the time his dad did this, DH was a teenager & living at home, so they had the same address. This mail came to our address.
    I called the credit card company, but they can't help me a whole lot since DH is still in BMT. I wanted to get a POA, but DH felt it was unnecessary since he'd only be in BMT for 8 weeks -- then he fractured his wrist. The rep. did tell me that they wouldn't have more than one mailing address on file, so my FIL shouldn't be getting a card in the mail, but I'm paranoid. He screwed his son badly once (and his daughter, big time) and I don't trust him to be honest. I just want to make sure nothing fishy's going on, but I don't know how to do that. I can't actually call my FIL b/c of a language barrier, and my SIL doesn't have much luck either. He blows her off every time she plans to visit him (parents are divorced, she's 18). I really don't want to tell DH a card came with his dad's name on it b/c he's under enough stress in medical-hold and there's not really much he can do about it from Lackland. Plus, his dad might lie to him anyway. I did check the balance on the card and it was 0. Should I just check the balance every month and if it stays at 0 I know there's no problem?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
  2. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    I would just keep checking the balance and if something comes up let your DH know.
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  3. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

I would really try to contact your Dh. He needs to ensure his father isn't trying to open an account again in his name. He isn't so stessed out he can't make a phone call. Do you have a contact # form his command. You can pass the word that you think there is a fraudulent account in his name and give the number to call. They should let him call. Otherwise you all might be stuckmwith another huge bill. Why risk it?

Also you two can also request that no new credit be opened in your names without a written request from the credit companies.
  4. Regular Member
    DH only gets his cell phone once a week, and that's where his dad's number is stored. He doesn't know it offhand to call from the patio phones. I know it's not a NEW card b/c the letter thanks him for being a member since 2007, which is when this whole thing started. I think the card just expired, but I can't check b/c DH has his wallet w/ him. DH actually told me specifically not to ever call the command (which I wouldn't do anyway). Apparently this is a big issue w/ the TMIs b/c a lot of parents of young trainees call to complain about their child's medical issue taking too long. And the rep. I talked to said our address is the one on file, so his dad shouldn't be receiving any mail from them. I think I'm just being paranoid b/c I know how much of a creep my FIL can be.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
  5. Regular Member
    I would check but even if something happened I don't know if they would really help him much, he might be stuck with the bill again. The happened to my DH with his mom and he had to file a police report to get all the cards taken off. He ended being stuck with one of them because he told them the card was his but she just had it, needless to say he had to pay. Too since you said he already paid it the first time they may not really be able to help him and he would be stuck again. He may not want to get his father in trouble but if he doesn't do something the only person that it will hurt is you and him.
  6. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Is it possible that you FIL didn't steal the card, but actually had a card to the account? DH did that with MIL till we got married just incase something came up, she would be able to use the card. Maybe this is the same situation where he actually did have a card and your husband took it off him, but didn't take him off the account, the card has expired so they sent new ones?

ETA: my husband has canceled credit cards before (kept 2 open though) and it actually helped his credit score. If he is worried about his credit score, why don't you open an account in both your names and cancel the other account?

7. Regular Member
    That's actually what his dad did 5 years ago, took out a card w/ DH as the primary and himself on the account. DH found out after his dad maxed out the card. So that's why I think the cards just expired.

In my case, cancelling cards would hurt me b/c it would negatively impact my credit:debt ratio. Same for DH.