Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In-Laws: What do you call them?

1. C Squared
    C Squared

In-Laws: What do you call them?

Advertisements
    Ok, so I have a question here for you ladies: what do you call your in-laws? Do you call them by their last name, their first name or mom/dad? I always feel awkward talking to them and I tend to just call them Mr & Mrs. V (which is now my last name and I think its weird). I've never called them anything but that. I've been with my DH for over 3 years now and now I'm their daughter in-law. I think it would be okay if I called them something else, but I won't do it since I know they aren't my biggest fans. What kind of bothers me is my SIL's DB calls the whole family by their first name, always has and they've only been dating for about a month, but they do like him, like adore him. I'm sure if she were to come home tomorrow and say they were eloping their whole family would cheer.

Anyway, I digress. I also have another question...did your in-laws tell you it was ok to call them by their first name or mom/dad? I feel like I need to know its ok from them before I do it. This has been bugging me for years since I do talk to my MIL quite often since DH is currently deployed and mostly reaches out to me when he gets a chance.

Sorry this is a little rambly. But any advice you ladies might have would be great.

" i'm ready to come home. i just wanna get home. i love having you at my disposal" DH
  2. Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz
    Libertarian by Nature - Your_Anz

I call them by their first names. But they told me that was ok. I think I asked them at one point, and they told me Mom and Dad, but I wasn't comfortable with that.
  3. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

Ask them?
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DH's mom calls herself "mom" to me in e-mails, voicemails, texts, etc. I don't feel comfortable saying that. Go with what you're comfortable with as long as they're cool with it.
  5. AMD
    Yeah, I waited until my in-laws told me to call them by their first name, which was when we got married. I'm sure they would've been fine if I called them by that from the get go, but I wasn't really comfortable with it. For my husband, my parents told him to use first names from the first time they met (a week after we started dating maybe??).

I second Jayo's suggestion of asking, that way you aren't in limbo
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    When they call you on the phone and you say Hello, then they say "Hi, this is ______" what do they call themselves for you?
  7. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Do they send you cards? If so, how is it signed?!?

I call my in-laws by their first names.
  8. Senior Member
    I call them by their names. It is how to refer to themselves when they call or write a card.
  9. C Squared
    C Squared
    I feel weird asking them what to call them even...I'm very skiddish when I talk to them cuz I don't want to offend them and trust me I'm sure they'd twist it and make it seem like I was doing something hurtful to them. I do have to call my MIL today with an update on my DH so maybe I'll just ask. Get my big girl panties on, right?

DH calls my mom by her first name and I think mom once. My mom always refers to herself to my DH as mom. But my mom has always been comfortable with this kind of thing. She's always told my friends to call her by her first name. It's never been a thing for her.

When my in-laws call me, they call my cell which has their number saved so they never say "Hi this _______." Otherwise that would be a great solution. Not so easy for me with them.

" i'm ready to come home. i just wanna get home. i love having you at my disposal" DH
  10. Senior Member
    It's awkward... I feel like MIL wants me to call her mom, but I've only ever called my mom that I call FIL Forrest... though I can't remember a time when I've actually had to address either of them.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast