Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Big Secret...

1. Regular Member
    Him: Basic Training, Lackland AFB Me: Northern NJ

My Big Secret...

Advertisements
    I've heard many times that the first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have a problem, so here goes. I'm 25 years old and I don't know how to ride a bike! Long story short, my dad has a bad temper & traumatized me while trying to teach me as a kid, so I haven't been on a bike since I was 7 and never learned how to ride a 2-wheeler. I really want to learn now so that maybe DH & I won't need to get a 2nd car once we get to his 1st duty station (TBA). I've been looking online & I've found a place near me that offers a learning to ride class for adults. The problem is, I don't have a bike. I've researched it a little only to be completely overwhelmed by how many bike options are out there. I'm thinking about renting one just for the class, because if I buy a bike, I have no place to put it (I live in a basement apt.). A bike can't be left outside right? Anyway, does anyone have any learning tips for a beginner like me? Or any general tips about the right bike? I'm 5'3 about 130 if that helps. Feel free to speak to me like a child lol. I know NOTHING about bikes.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Wish I could help! I haven't ridden a bike since 1978 when I fell off and broke my elbow. Sometimes I wish that I could ride one but the few times I've tried, I freak out completely and am so unbalanced.
  3. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    You can leave it outside if you have a way to lock it up. The kind of bike you want really depends on what you'll be using it for.
    Don't be nervous, I'm sure you'll learn quickly! It's not hard at all once you get the hang of it.

4. Senior Member
    How fun!! I think you will have a great time learning how to ride. Maybe take the class first with a rented bike. Then once you get use to it you can see if it is something you you know you would want to do more often. Then you could purchase one. As for the bike itself I am not much help in that department. I usually just buy something as simple as a land cruiser.
  5. Certified G
    Certified G
    There are hybrid bikes meant for both terrain and road surfaces. Beach cruisers which are pretty relaxed and will go on, well, the beach and paved surfaces. They're also the cutest. And then, racing bikes and strictly mountain bikes which are for completely opposite of each other. It really ultimately depends on what you're planning to use it for. The street bikes have thin tires. Same with the hybrids. Mountain and cruisers have thicker tires to better handle terrain differences.

As for learning, I have no clue. I think I just... went when I was younger? I don't even know.

6. Senior Member
    i actually have a bike and have always wanted to do as you are saying you want to do at next duty station; i already know how to ride a bike, but wanted to make it more of my mode of transportation. i live really close to establishments so i feel that it would be a fairly easy ride to the majority of the places i'd ever need to go...the only thing that freaks me out and sort of prevents me from doing it is safety. i'm afraid to be alone and "on foot" (or on bike) and riding on roads alone. is that a stupid fear? i know, i know pepper spray and whatnot...but i feel like that wouldn't necessarily help if i was overpowered. is that something you have considered? if so, share with me some of your courage, because i want to use my bike more
  7. ☮ Live fearlessly. Go big or go home! ☮
    ☮ Live fearlessly. Go big or go home! ☮
    Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    i actually have a bike and have always wanted to do as you are saying you want to do at next duty station; i already know how to ride a bike, but wanted to make it more of my mode of transportation. i live really close to establishments so i feel that it would be a fairly easy ride to the majority of the places i'd ever need to go...the only thing that freaks me out and sort of prevents me from doing it is safety. i'm afraid to be alone and "on foot" (or on bike) and riding on roads alone. is that a stupid fear? i know, i know pepper spray and whatnot...but i feel like that wouldn't necessarily help if i was overpowered. is that something you have considered? if so, share with me some of your courage, because i want to use my bike more
    I totally understand what you mean. I want to start riding my bike everywhere, I use to ride it to work when I lived in a different town but I need the courage for riding it here.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't know how to, either. I'm intrigued by this adult class though. I may have to find something similar! I would just rent for now.
  9. Regular Member
    Him: Basic Training, Lackland AFB Me: Northern NJ
    What actually scares me most isn't the fear of being attacked, but the fear of being hit by a car. I'm born & raised in North Jersey and I still live here. We have some of the worst and angriest drivers in the country (myself included lol), and people don't take kindly to cyclists around here. Whenever I see people ride in the busy streets, I always think they're insane. I'm really hoping we get stationed somewhere less congested/busy so I can relax about traffic a bit. As for bodily safety, I recently took a self-defense class at a martial arts studio & I found that very empowering. I think it's something every woman should do. They teach you not only how to defend yourself, but how to be more aware & danger signs to watch out for. My dog helps too. Even though she's only 10 pounds, she's very perceptive & will alert me if something's amiss. I plan to have a little basket for her, mainly b/c I think it would be the cutest thing ever lol.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
  10. Senior Member
    do you ride on the roads? there aren't a lot of sidewalks here and that has also discouraged me from wanting to ride my bike places, i'm so used to sidewalks and the safety they bring!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast