Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Minds Racing!

<3

My Minds Racing!

Advertisements
    I received a letter yesterday from my DB. He said how he wanted to be together after AIT, get married. I was all but then it changed to . I actually enrolled at a 4 year college right down my street. I did graduate with my associates degree from a community college. So I would be able to transfer with that degree and have no wasted classes.

So this is the issue. Do I finish my 2 years and then go to be with him or should I go pursue my college degree while with him. I would not not pursue one.

Like I told him in a letter and will probably tell him over the phone.
    My worries:
    1. Not being able to keep up the house hold if I go to school.
    2. Having money issues.
    3. Difficulty of getting a college degree while living on base. (may not be near a college than would need to pursue an online degree)
    4. The cost of a school I would attend. (College I am enrolled at is a great price and a great college)
    5. The stress of college and managing a household.

Anything is possible! Why must the heart and the brain do this to me?! I just want to be happy and have him happy.

I'm only thinking of what would be best for our future. I really just want to be with him and this is such a hard decision. I'm sure a lot of you understand and yes I know that these will be your thoughts and I am different. Just spill your ideas lol. Words of wisdom anyone? I know I'm not the only one who has gone through or will go through this.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I typically favor people getting themselves in order prior to making a huge commitment to moving around for something like the military. Its better in the long run to be prepared for the best job opportunities. LDRs are completely possible and 2 years isn't so bad. If you have reservations about moving due to you being in your ideal school then stay and finish school. You can always change your mind. For now, take it one semester at a time and reevaluate your relationship, educational progress and see where you stand after completing each semester. Who knows, you might be graduating with your 4 year by the time you're ready to make that big step.

Good luck and stick to your gut feeling. It sounds to me like you know exactly what you should do
  3. Senior Member

Follow your heart.

There are colleges on almost every base worst case you take online classes.
  4. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    I finished school after getting married. If you want to do it you will find a way to do it.

As decks said, there are colleges close to (if not on) just about every base.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
    <3
    Quote Originally Posted by AwwSnail View Post
    I typically favor people getting themselves in order prior to making a huge commitment to moving around for something like the military. Its better in the long run to be prepared for the best job opportunities. LDRs are completely possible and 2 years isn't so bad. If you have reservations about moving due to you being in your ideal school then stay and finish school. You can always change your mind. For now, take it one semester at a time and reevaluate your relationship, educational progress and see where you stand after completing each semester. Who knows, you might be graduating with your 4 year by the time you're ready to make that big step.

Good luck and stick to your gut feeling. It sounds to me like you know exactly what you should do
    I definetly agree with you. I think it would be a lot easier since I went through most of the steps with this college already. I'm sure the time will fly. The LD won't bother me but if I could do without it it would be great. But I feel just moving with him would complicate my schooling because I would have to take extra steps. I should just take it one semester at a time. Yeah I'm leaning more towards staying here and finishing my college but I feel I'd be better in the long run. Thanks that was very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by decks89 View Post
    Follow your heart.

There are colleges on almost every base worst case you take online classes.
    I really want to! I read up on it but I read they only offer limited classes. All I know is I want to do something with computers maybe with a concentration on business. I'm worried I'll be limited.

Quote Originally Posted by chickadeebaby View Post
    I finished school after getting married. If you want to do it you will find a way to do it.

As decks said, there are colleges close to (if not on) just about every base.
    So you were at one base long enough to finish? Because I only have 2 years and last thing I want to do is get close and then have to leave. I don't know how it works. Yeah I figured I'd be able to get some type of education but I don't know what kind.

I just want to finish school and not be given the run around. I'm really worried that me changing my life around so drastically (being married and moving on base) and trying to go to school might be too much. I'm a worrying as you can tell lol. Maybe I'll just finish college
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a long engagement ... I thought getting engaged while in school and then waiting until after graduation for the wedding is a pretty common way to handle those situations.
  7. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Go to school An education is something you will always have, and I wouldn't trade my college experience for anything in the world.
  8. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by LessThanThree View Post

So you were at one base long enough to finish? Because I only have 2 years and last thing I want to do is get close and then have to leave. I don't know how it works. Yeah I figured I'd be able to get some type of education but I don't know what kind.

I just want to finish school and not be given the run around. I'm really worried that me changing my life around so drastically (being married and moving on base) and trying to go to school might be too much. I'm a worrying as you can tell lol. Maybe I'll just finish college
    I should have clarified that DH wasn't military when we married. I started school after we got married, and finished while he was in BMT.

We have been at this base for 3 years now though, so if you only have 2 years of schooling then that would be enough time.

One of my friends got married and moved here and started and finished her nursing degree...so it is very possible.

Usually you are at your first base after BMT for 2 years minimum.

It's totally up to you, every situation is different...figure out what will work best for you and your DB.

I just wanted you to know that just because you get married, your desires in life don't have to go on hold.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
    <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a long engagement ... I thought getting engaged while in school and then waiting until after graduation for the wedding is a pretty common way to handle those situations.
    I agree with you on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    Go to school An education is something you will always have, and I wouldn't trade my college experience for anything in the world.
    that's what I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by chickadeebaby View Post
    I should have clarified that DH wasn't military when we married. I started school after we got married, and finished while he was in BMT.

We have been at this base for 3 years now though, so if you only have 2 years of schooling then that would be enough time.

One of my friends got married and moved here and started and finished her nursing degree...so it is very possible.

Usually you are at your first base after BMT for 2 years minimum.

It's totally up to you, every situation is different...figure out what will work best for you and your DB.

I just wanted you to know that just because you get married, your desires in life don't have to go on hold.
    Ahh ok so you didn't have to deal with all the enrollment options. Hmmm...this is getting more difficult lol. I heard that marriage puts some things on hold. Not that I would allow it to side track my education but it probably would drag things out. I'm sure my education wouldn't get done in the time frame I like due to having a marriage and household things to do. It would be nice just to focus on my education then move with him and be able to atleast try jumping into some sort of job. I got a lot to think about lol but still am leaning towards staying and finishing.

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I never vote no on getting your education first. A two year engagement isn't unheard of either. Then you can focus on school and have all the fun you want during the engagement process.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast