Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice (a man's best friend)

1. Regular Member

Bang Head Need advice (a man's best friend)

Advertisements
    So this may seem trivial to some but I need advice.. My husband and I are pcsing to Hawaii soon and for the last 5 months he has not stopped talking about wanting to adopt a pitbull when we get there. I would love to adopt a dog, but living in military communities you are not allowed to have pitbull breeds or any variation. He is convinced that somehow we will make it work. I'm afraid to adopt a dog and fall in love with it and have to give it away at some point. Is the risk worth it? I want him to be happy, but at the same time I keep telling him it's not a good idea. Does anyone else have a pitbull, and have had problems with military or the other way around. Is it really that big of a deal? I've tried to convince him on other breeds like German shepard but he's not budging...
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I personally would not risk it, since you know they are prohibited. "Making it work" could have serious consequences.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I wouldn't do it. It is too expensive there to live in anything but military housing. And you can't really hide it, because eventually you have to transport this pet back to the states. Unless he plans to just ditch it at the end, in which case I REALLY wouldn't get any pet at all.
  4. Regular Member
    I would definitely not plan on leaving any pet behind that I have adopted. I'm very much an animal lover and would not want to adopt one knowing I would have to give them up or that I couldnt care for it as needed.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

That's not fair to the dog. We have a pit bull that I love to death but we have to make decisions like not ever living on base or overseas with him. He probably can't just get around it, with the stigma against pits your dog would get reported to housing in no time.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think your being pretty logical about the situation and you should stick to your guns. Getting a pet should be a serious and long term commitment and adopting a pit when your in the military, knowing that you will face many obstacles with housing, IMO isn't a good idea.
  7. Senior Member
    DH and I went through a similar issue. I LOVE pitbulls, but we got a GSD instead, because there are lots of places where they're banned. It's not worth putting the dog at risk (like you arrive at your new location, and find out that the city has a ban in place, and your dog could be immediately removed etc.).

It's hard on you to have to let go of a family member, but keep in mind it's also really hard on the dog. It'd be easier to settle on another breed for the time being, because it's quite simply unfair for an animal to feel stable and secure, then be tossed to another family. They don't understand that you do this to protect them, all they know is their family is gone and here are these strangers in their place.

That said, I do know of people who have pit mixes and they've thus far stayed under the radar by claiming their mixes by the other breed. Like instead of saying they have a pit mix, they say they have a hound mix. That wouldn't fly in some cities though, and it's a huge risk to your heart, and the dog. I'd try explaining to your DH that it's selfish of him to risk the animal, or the animal's emotional well being for his want. It's sad, but that's the state of things.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmine View Post
    That's not fair to the dog. We have a pit bull that I love to death but we have to make decisions like not ever living on base or overseas with him. He probably can't just get around it, with the stigma against pits your dog would get reported to housing in no time.
    True! I would report it if I saw it. IMO pit bulls can be aggressive due to breeding, but often it is training and treatment. But there are plenty of dumbfucks in the military who this it is "cool" to have an aggressive dog. I don't want that in my neighborhood, I have kids. It is an advantage to living in a community with breed restrictions.
  9. verabot89
    verabot89
    I would not do it at all.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

10. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    ITA with all PP's.

it just wouldn't be a smart move. One day if/when he gets out of the military then that's definitely something to look into. But as it stands now, it does not sound like a smart decision.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast