Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humanitarian Reassignment (Air Force)

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Humanitarian Reassignment (Air Force)

Advertisements
    Hello,

Has anyone ever done a humanitarian reassignment with the AF? If so I'd like to know your experience with it, approve/denied, circumstances, how long it took for a decision? Any info would be great. TIA.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    HUMS are done for varying reasons.

knowing what your trying to get a HUMS for would allow us to give proper advice on the process.
  3. Senior Member
    Yeah... too hard to give advice on what you gave. We enquired about getting one when DH had just arrived to Italy and I was diagnosed with cancer. We opted not to because the closest he could possibly get was 7 hours from where I had started my treatment. They would have PCS'd all of us, but I didn't want to do chemo with a newborn and have DH working the same crazy hours when I had my Mom to take care of me (and the baby) at home. They also said we could possibly end up even farther away if nothing in Florida was open, so we could have ended up thousands of miles from home at Minot or something, uproot my treatment to somewhere not as good etc... we opted not to do it. We were told under our circumstances we almost would have been guaranteed and approval.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    My husbands stepfather (whom raised him half his life, & has no biological children) was diagnosed with cancer about 5 years ago. Since then it has gone back in forth into remission. In October 2011, the doctors determined it terminal, and he has had no treatment since. Just painkillers. My mother in law shielded us from the truth, we new he had cancer but not about the determination in October. We submitted our reassignment package last week, and it was forwarded up the chain of command today by my husbands commander he added the comment "That he concurs with SRA ******'s request for reassignment." Now according to virtual MPF it is at the AFPC awaiting a decision, then they just sent him an email saying to call them there had been a mistake, he called they said the email was sent accidentally, and that the stuff had been sent to the BPO (What is this?). I spoke with my commander (I am a civilian) who said he would try to help. (He used to work at AFPC.) He also said we have 2 things that don't look good 1)that my husbands sister lives in the area, as well as a few relatives. 2)my father in law lives in a place where there is an guard base. But in defense to those 2 things my sister in law doesn't speak to my in laws, and has no relationship with the father. My mother in laws 2 brothers haven't spoken to her in years, she speaks with her father who is very elderly but just had a stroke, and cannot drive. My husbands stepfathers mother lives 1 hour away but also has cancer which limits her to the help she can provide, the stepfathers sister also lives 1 hour away but has a job, and provides care for the mother. As far as the guard base we know a few people there who have informed us there are several active duty slots open for my husbands job. And on the reassignment package we put we would go there or to the closest base with a slot.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    To me, based on that info doesn't sound like something that would get easily approved. If I recall (and its been a while), the HUMS has to also be beneficial to the AF. Putting him on a Guard base isn't very beneficial to the AF. And it sounds like your husband doesn't need to care for his stepfather, sounds more like he wants to be there in case something happens. But that's based on what I read, and how I read it.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    To me, based on that info doesn't sound like something that would get easily approved. If I recall (and its been a while), the HUMS has to also be beneficial to the AF. Putting him on a Guard base isn't very beneficial to the AF. And it sounds like your husband doesn't need to care for his stepfather, sounds more like he wants to be there in case something happens. But that's based on what I read, and how I read it.
    also sounds like your MIL is there and can care for him? Humanitarian is more so if there is no one else that can care for them.

Friends of our got them 2 yrs ago, they guys wife was killed in a car accident and with him being Active Duty, he was able to get Humanitarian to a base close to his family so that he had help with his 2 children.

7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    She is there, but cannot fully support him. She works all the time to make ends meet. I mean I wasn't neccesarily looking for opinions on my case but rather other peoples experiences with doing it themselves.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    a few things that could keep you from getting the reassignment-

1) that there is only a guard base avail not an AD base

2) according to the regulations it is critical that the member be there to care for the parent

3) that Step father is not considered a 'family member" by AF definition.

it could still get approved, but with those factors it will not be an easy task.

DH is CG and applied and recieved approval for a hums and was approved for both a HUMS PCS and a HUMS TDY-

his father had terminal lung cancer, but died before DH could execute the HUMS.
  9. Senior Member
    I doubt you'll get it based on what you said. While there may be slots for his job, they're probably already filled. There usually has to be space available.
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by kng585406 View Post
    She is there, but cannot fully support him. She works all the time to make ends meet. I mean I wasn't neccesarily looking for opinions on my case but rather other peoples experiences with doing it themselves.
    Right, and we are saying, based on the information provided it is a case that is likely not to get approved, or if it does could take a long time. Just because his wife works a lot of hours doesn't mean she can't care for him. Those are the kinds of things the AF will look at. They will look and see who is near him and such. Like your commander said, since the step dad has family around its going to be difficult, or at the least be something negative towards the request.

The AF 'doesn't care' that the spouse works tons of hours, 'doesn't care' that the sister or daughter, or whomever doesn't talk to the man, they will see that W, X, Y and Z are all within so many miles and are able to take care of him. That's what they look at, in addition to other things.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast