Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New Kindergarten Program

1. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

New Kindergarten Program

Advertisements
    Kinda confused right now. Our school district has started a new Kindergarten program (there are only 2 school that have Kindergarten in our district, they are full time), it is full time and an advanced program.
    We enrolled MDS in to Kindergarten at our local school in base housing, but got a call this morning saying that he is one of 15 kids at our local school that has been accepted into this program.

It's called Chinese Immersion Program and what they do is their normal learning in the morning in English and then in the afternoon, they learn the exact same things, but in Mandarin. The actual program is supposed to be really good and a great opportunity, but I'm kinda bummed that he won't be going to the same school as ODS (the next 2 yrs are the only chance he would be able to) and he will also bus too and from school (the boys were hoping to ride together).

Really don't know what I am trying to ask, has anyone had kids at different school when they COULD have been at the same school, how did the kids handle it? Would you put your child into a program like that?

I'm not making my final decision until I get a chance to sit down and go through all the details, but by then, MDS's place at the local school may have been filled.

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I would do a lot of research about that kind of 1/2 day program.... they tried something like that in our school district when I was younger (for a year I did 1/2 day English and 1/2 day Spanish) and it came up with less then stellar results. A lot of the students struggled the following years (I believe it was a program for 1st-3rd graders, not K), it can even more negative effects on kids with undiagnosed learning disabilities which generally aren't caught that early.

Its not something I would enroll my child in unless they were advanced for their age. As for keeping them in the same schools, it would depend on the program. For something like this, for me I would rather keep them together, for something else, I may be ok with them being apart.
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I know it's an advanced program, they did a little "test" on the kids at enrollment, they had to at least write their name, know all colors, shapes, count and recognize number to 10, and a few other things. He is very advanced, adding and subtracting numbers up to 10, counting up to 40 (Math is his fave), but yeah, my concern was having to learn everything in 2 different languages, would it help of hinder him.

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Considering it sounds like he pretty much already has a good handle on the basics, I would feel comfortable at least letting him try it!

If later on you see that he may be struggling do they allow you to transfer him to a reg. class?
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Considering it sounds like he pretty much already has a good handle on the basics, I would feel comfortable at least letting him try it!

If later on you see that he may be struggling do they allow you to transfer him to a reg. class?
    yes, but we would have to do school of choice to get him back to the local school

6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Got ya... Hmm tough call.

Have you talked to the local school and ask them how hard it would be?
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I talk to one of the Kindergarten teachers (the one I really wanted MDS in her class) and she said that being a new program, they really don't know much about it at all. I should have all the info in the next week or so

8. Moderator

I would definitely do it if you believe that he can handle it.

My two older children were to attend the same elementary school when we lived in Va Beach. My oldest was then accepted into a Math and Science Academy. We jumped on the opportunity and they attended different elementary schools. It was difficult to juggle PTA's, but that's about it. There was a 30 min time difference in start and ending times, so I was able to drop off/pick up both kids with no trouble.