Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Help planning a trip...

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Help planning a trip...

Advertisements
    I'm planning to visit DB late in tech school when he's allowed to leave on the weekends (the BMT graduation weekend was wonderful, but too short!). Any advice on how to get cheap airfare, car rentals, & hotels (besides the nasty ones right outside the base )? I've been looking around, and right now it's looking like a pretty expensive weekend

DB wants to help too, but we're both new to this so if anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them! Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Well, it'd probably help to know where the tech school is so we can offer advice about great places to stay or something like that. For me, I've found that if the drive is under 14 hours, it's always cheaper just to drive; so long as you're not driving a gas guzzler lol
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Yeah, it would help to know where you are going to/from. The distance plays a big role in the cost of plane tickets.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Sorry about that! I'm going to Sheppard AFB and I live in IL (near Chicago), so driving might not be so practical...

Thanks a lot!
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Yeah, that's at least a 12-14 hour drive. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot in that part of TX.

Sometimes you can book hotel, car and flight together and get it cheaper. All you can do is keep searching the various sights for the best deal on tickets. hotels.com and rentalcars.com are good for locating hotels and cars. Are you at least 25 years of age? Most car companies won't rent to anyone under 25, without a huge deposit, like $300-$500 cash.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Yeah, I'm 25 and was planning on doing a car rental. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep looking around and DB said he'll see if there's anything he can do.
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I am a student, thanks for this site! Finding better prices already
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Kayak lets you do a search of up to 4 area airports, so they could help broaden your search enough to get you the best deal. From a map, it looks as if Sheppard AFB is about equidistant between Oklahoma City and Dallas. I don't know what it's like driving, but if you search both of those areas, you may be able to find a better deal, even if you have to drive a bit further. You can do the same thing on the Chicago end.
    If nothing else, it can give you an idea of which routes are a little cheaper and you can then go find an even better deal on a different website.

I'm not sure about hotels. The places further away from the military base are probably nicer, but obviously you'll end up paying more for nicer places. You could try Hotwire and Priceline. We got a really nice studio in Tulsa once for only around $40/night. Better Bidding has tips on how to bid for a hotel.