Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First Time Poster & BFs First Deployment

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

First Time Poster & BFs First Deployment

Advertisements
    I think I posted this in the wrong section earlier, but I am a first-time poster and today my boyfriend's deployment, which is happening very soon, really hit me and I'm nervous and concerned about the whole thing.

Mostly, I want to make it as easy as possible for him. I see him stressing, prepparing, packing all of his deployment stuff and I want to make that easier for him. I want to help him understand that I am here for him to help him in any way that I can. Most of all I want him to be okay - but with all of these wants I manage to find myself at a loss for what to do! I've bought him a present, going to send him off with some letters and pictures, but then what? What happens? What do I do then?

Any advice for a very lost first-timer would be greatly appreciated. No one in my family or circle of friends is military, he's really my first exposure to that world so things military families and friends might see as 'duh' things I have no idea about. What I do know is that I should be doing something about all this!

Shannon
    Last edited by *IGrow'EmXL*; 06-19-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: OPSEC violation
  2. Regular Member
    Awh! Hi Shannon! I had your problem when I first started dating my fiance. I didn't really have friends in the military or who were dating military. I didn't understand so many things!! He deployed in January and won't be home until next January but those last two weeks are very hard. I completely understand why you're nervous and just want to help. I was the same way!

He's probably dealing with a lot of mixed emotions right now.. he could be anxious, worried, excited.. and as his girlfriend you're going to want to just support him and roll with the punches in a way. You can ask him if there's anything you can help with. Packing, Laundry, Cleaning. If there's nothing then you could just be with him to talk and ask him what he would like to do in his free time (if he has any) in these last two weeks!

When he deploys it could be a little while before you can talk to him again. Depending on the communication system they have set up, where he's going, and what his job might be. I don't know if you have an address to send him things yet but even if you don't while you wait for him to get ahold of you you could write letters, make scrap books, think of care package ideas, keep a journal, write on here! The main idea is to keep very busy and be there for him whenever he needs you.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me I'm always up for a conversation! Even if you just want to vent

Good luck girl and enjoy this time you have together!! Take lots of pictures!

-Kay
  3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I think LoveBug gave some great advice.

Also, please keep in mind that you can not post specifics about deployments when it comes to dates because it violates OPSEC (your post has been edited due to it). If you're unsure of what that is, visit the following link:

OPSEC & PERSEC...MUST READ!!!

You should make your way over to the newbie section and introduce yourself