Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

How do you

Advertisements
    make friends?
    I only have one friend here in FL, but I've been here since November. Everyone at work tells me how sweet, nice, and helpful I am, but I rarely get invited out with them. I am a little older than most of them so I am not offended, and they are almost all young (18-20) and single. I don't know where else (or how else) I can meet potential friends. Even on here I don't have many people that I talk to regularly. I guess I just have trouble truly connecting with people.

I used to have tons of friends... What am I doing wrong?

2. Banned
    Banned
    What are your interests?

Are there ways to involve yourself, I.e. activities for your babe?
  3. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    I don't think you're doing anything wrong! For me, it got a little trickier to make friends as I got older. Most of my friends now are spouses of DH's coworkers, etc.

I know a lot of people speak against this, but is there a coffee group or spouse's club where you're located? That REALLY helped me out when we got here, I met tons of awesome ladies there! Or a fitness/hobby class could be good, or even just a G2G with ladies from here!

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    For me I put myself in forced social situation that make me interact with people. When I get to a new duty station I immediately sign up for a bible study and then I look for other things to sign up for like volunteer positions of even exercise classes (two birds with one stone ) Here I found a great group called MOPS (moms of preschoolers for moms of kids 0-4) that has really helped me find friends. If I don't force myself to get out and do it I would totally sit on the couch all day.
  5. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

We sound so much alike it is scary.

With DH deploying and being alone I realized that I have ZERO friends out here. It was a hard thing to see. I have a couple of friends across the country but we hardly ever get to see each other.

I found that going to my mommy group and connecting with people through shared interests was the best thing ever. I've met a lot of great girls and two of them especially we are really connecting as friends. It is a great place to start.
  6. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I'm the same way Everyone at work always told me (before I got pregnant) how nice, funny, etc, I was, but yet I never got invited out.

The only way I've made friends is through MSOS (at g2g's). Most people my age aren't married, let alone parents, so it's hard for me to find a friends.

7. Banned
    Banned
    Maybe try meetup.com? You can find people that share your interests that way
  8. Senior Member

I would look for some groups (especially mommy groups with playdates) around the area, especially if you're military. It doesn't take that long to make friends with other people with similar interests and hobbies as you. Also, are you approachable? I tend to gravitate towards people who greet you when they see you or smile often.
  9. Senior Member
    From here.

All of my close friends from college and high school don't live around here...so I spend a lot of my time with my fiance and our cat. I got pretty involved with the ship get togethers during deployment and made friends with some of the other wives...so that's helped as well. I have friends from work, but we rarely hang out outside of work. Not because I wouldn't, but because neither of us invites each other to do so much. Not their fault or mine...it's just not happened often.
  10. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    My husbands shop gets together for lunch like once a month at hooters or bww and stuff like that and if a few wives go then I'll go and meet them like that. And from there we add each other on fb and I'll invite them to go to the pool or vice versa or go shopping or something. that's how I met the last couple of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast