Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: For those who have to see their kids off for the summer...

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

For those who have to see their kids off for the summer...

Advertisements
    w/ their father/mother how do you cope? This is the first time ever (starting tomorrow for a month and a half) that I'll have ever been w/o DS and I'm at a loss on how to deal with it all. I literally feel like my heart is being ripped out of my body. I don't really have any friends who deal with this and all I ever hear is how incredibly hard it must be on me, but I'm just wanting to see if anyone else perhaps on here has to go through this as well and how you deal with it all... TIA
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

It's kind of like having your SO go... Find a hobby, keep busy, anything to help the time pass more quickly.

I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    It's kind of like having your SO go... Find a hobby, keep busy, anything to help the time pass more quickly.

I agree with this. If there is something that you've been wanting to do but have been putting it off, now is a good time to start it.

My daughter and I have a countdown calendar. This is the first year that she has had her own phone and she texts me several times during the day and she has called me every night so far (and she's been gone less than two weeks).

When she is gone, my step-kiddos come for the summer so that also keeps me busy.

4. Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    My kids have always spent a week with their dad, but they were close by. And it was only a week. This summer they are going for two weeks. Sooo... I have no idea!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I've just gotten used to it I guess - DD will be 16 this summer, so I've had plenty of practice. For me, it is easier now that she is older - when she was little I would worry about her a lot more. She always gets to go see/do a lot of fun stuff when she's at her dad's, so I look forward to that for her. He is also really good about letting my family back home have access to her during the time she is there (she overnights at my aunt's, and spends a day or two with a friend that is like a sister and her kids), so I have extra eyes on her and that gives me comfort as well.
    Staying busy definitely helps - between work, DS/DH and having to do all the horsey-chores when she is gone (she is my built in stable hand, boy do I miss her) I hardly have time to realize she is gone (in a good way).
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My situation was a little similar, a little different. My kids, since they were 5 and 7, have spent time with my parents every summer. My daughter has only gone a few times because of sports but my son went every summer from 7 to 17.

I struggled with it at first, but my husband had spent some summers with his grandparents when he was young and remembered it very fondly, so I adjusted. I made myself busy. My kids have a great relationship with my parents now and I'm really confident with both of them in their independence. They've done road trips with their grandparents and they've both flown by themselves.

Just remind yourself that his dad loves him too and he will have a great time and know his dad in a different way because of this time. Of course he will miss you, but he also, over time, will gain a confidence in himself spending time away from you.

I do remember how hard that very first time was. I'm really sorry that you're struggling with it.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your responses. It's been 2 1/2 days in and I've been keeping myself busy for sure. DS is having a hard time adjusting, but I'm hoping it'll get easier for him as some time passes. Fortunately my ex's new wife texts me pictures and keeps in contact w/ me which I appreciate greatly and was a bit nervous about before he left since we have never communicated up until now. I have a class that starts in a couple of days and I'm trying to make some new friends this summer since we have just moved here. It's comforting in itself knowing that I'm not alone in this type of situation and I'm def glad I posted to get feedback from you ladies!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    hang in there, mama!