Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S/O Life Insurance

1. Senior Member

S/O Life Insurance

Advertisements
    So... looking at the responses on the other post had me REALLY question my relationship.

I am not even a beneficiary on my DH's life insurance policy. I thought I was, and was told he had switched it after we married. But, when we recently applied for housing, it was listed that his parents are his sole bene's.

Now, I have a range of emotions, and I'm not sure what direction to go. I have discussed getting a life insurance policy, and planned to make my husband and son, 50/50.

He is currently deployed, so conversing about it, face to face, isn't an option. But, I will when he gets home. I'm not even sure how to go about it. I don't care if i'm the sole, or whatnot.

2. Senior Member
    Had you guys discussed it being switched and agreed to it? Is it possible that the paperwork was lost or not done correctly?
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    given the military's track record of getting paperwork in the system right the first time, my first guess would be that someone on their end screwed up.

Did he say something when you applied for housing and his parents popped up as his beneficiaries?
  4. Senior Member
    That could possibly be the case. We never really discussed it in thorough detail; but I really wish we had. I sent an email about it, and discussing my plan. So, we'll see.
  5. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    did you ever get a letter saying you were on it? i got a letter saying how much i would get.

6. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    Had you guys discussed it being switched and agreed to it? Is it possible that the paperwork was lost or not done correctly?
    Having worked in admin for the navy I highly suggest keeping calm about it because it's very likely that the paper worked got messed up. I was looking through my service record one day and noticed I had another sailors SGLI paper work in my service record. It was a persons SGLI that I was in boot camp with. His last name came right after mine.

if it was me I would talk about it right away. If he said he did it then chances are he did and there is an error that needs to be fixed right away. Maybe your DH thought once you get married and entered into deers it automatically switches, it doesn't. You have to fill out another SGLI forum.

Speak up! You said hes on deployment. God forbid something happens and his life insurance goes to his parents during this deployement. You have a son on the way. Doesn't matter that you are pregnant and his wife. His parents will get the money and there's not a lawyer in the world that can change that.

You might think, "his parents wouldnt keep the money, they are good people and know who deserves it" but guess what, money makes people do the craziest things.

Eta-just saw you sent an email.
  7. Senior Member
    Maybe he just forgot. My DH forgets that kind of stuff all the time. I pretty much have to email him and text him things I need him to do or they won't get done (our medical, deers etc).
  8. Senior Member
    I would look into getting that fixed. Just in case. You never know!

Did everyone who was on their plan get a letter? I never did.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
    I would look into getting that fixed. Just in case. You never know!

Did everyone who was on their plan get a letter? I never did.
    I never did either.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriah View Post
    did you ever get a letter saying you were on it? i got a letter saying how much i would get.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    Having worked in admin for the navy I highly suggest keeping calm about it because it's very likely that the paper worked got messed up. I was looking through my service record one day and noticed I had another sailors SGLI paper work in my service record. It was a persons SGLI that I was in boot camp with. His last name came right after mine.

if it was me I would talk about it right away. If he said he did it then chances are he did and there is an error that needs to be fixed right away. Maybe your DH thought once you get married and entered into deers it automatically switches, it doesn't. You have to fill out another SGLI forum.

Speak up! You said hes on deployment. God forbid something happens and his life insurance goes to his parents during this deployement. You have a son on the way. Doesn't matter that you are pregnant and his wife. His parents will get the money and there's not a lawyer in the world that can change that.

You might think, "his parents wouldnt keep the money, they are good people and know who deserves it" but guess what, money makes people do the craziest things.

Eta-just saw you sent an email.

Yeah, I definitely decided to speak up about it! Thanks for the info. The paper work may have been misplaced, but he has a habit of putting his parents ahead of the world regardless, so we'll see!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast