Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cat Declawing

1. Senior Member

Cat Declawing

Advertisements
    I know this isn't the ped pad, but I'm honestly looking for advice.

I found Kitten (yeah, I'm original, I know ) back in August as a tiny kitten. After trying to re-home her with no luck we decided to keep her because both us and her 'big puppy brother' fell in love.

The problem is her clawing. She shreds everything: the back of our leather couch, the carpet, blinds, etc. Lately she's started playing much more aggressively and has clawed DH and I several times.

I've tried all the tricks I know to stop this behavior including spraying her with water every time we catch her, using soft claws (she bites them off), popping her nose when she scratches us, and having three different clawing areas (cardboard and carpeted) that she couldn't care less about.

My questions is this: Do you think de-clawing is inhumane? It's honestly breaking my heart to consider this, but DH is really pushing for it and I know something needs to be done.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  2. Senior Member
    You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this...but it has to be a personal decision.

We had Leia declawed last year. It was a huge decision that we thought over several times before making it. She hasn't really clawed up our furniture much (unless you're looking for the marks), but I have scars from her 'playing'.

There are different ways that places do the procedure and some are easier on the kitties than others...I hope Vino comes in here and weighs in...she's pretty knowledgeable on it and really helped me be at ease with our decision.
  3. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
    No it's very inhumane and super painful for them. There's an info thread in pet pad all about it. I'll see if I can find it
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthused Meerkat View Post
    You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this...but it has to be a personal decision.

We had Leia declawed last year. It was a huge decision that we thought over several times before making it. She hasn't really clawed up our furniture much (unless you're looking for the marks), but I have scars from her 'playing'.

There are different ways that places do the procedure and some are easier on the kitties than others...I hope Vino comes in here and weighs in...she's pretty knowledgeable on it and really helped me be at ease with our decision.
    Thank you for your response! I really think we're leaning this way. It's just to the point where we can't buy new things without her ruining them. I was hoping it was a phase, and it might be, but after 8 months I have no idea when it might stop.

How was her recovery time?

Quote Originally Posted by Hottie. View Post
    No it's very inhumane and super painful for them. There's an info thread in pet pad all about it. I'll see if I can find it
    Thank you for your response. I really do want both sides, so honestly thank you!

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I think when it comes down to it, if all other resources have been exhausted, de-clawing is a better option than rehoming the cat.

Have you talked to your vet about it? I know sometimes people have trouble finding vets that are willing to do the procedure ...
  6. Keep on dreaming little penguin
    Keep on dreaming little penguin
    My cats were declawed, I chose to do it since if I get scratched it take me a long time to heal. Along with the extended healing I tend to get infections easily. Be sure you have a good vet who knows what they are doing. I know some vets refuse to do it anymore. You really just have to do what is best for you all.
    BraveLilToaster is the most awesome wifey ever!
  7. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

For cats, it's like having our finger tips chopped off. Don't think that's too humane. JMO.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I think when it comes down to it, if all other resources have been exhausted, de-clawing is a better option than rehoming the cat.

Have you talked to your vet about it? I know sometimes people have trouble finding vets that are willing to do the procedure ...
    Both the vet on base and an outside vet are willing. Both prices are similar, but the off-base vet has very good reviews.

9. Senior Member
    I think it’s absolutely barbaric. Unless you (general) would be willing to handicap yourself and have your fingers all cut down to the first knuckle…I don’t think anyone should do it to a cat. While not all cats get aggressive after the surgery, the vast majority of aggressive cats have been declawed.
  10. I just can't even...
    I just can't even...
    Blog Entries
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast