Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing my last name?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Changing my last name?

Advertisements
    Okay ladies, you'd think after being married for 6 months that I wild have had my name changed by now...well I haven't had the trine nor do I know where to begin!! Well it's beginning to bother DH so i decided its time to get on it. Where so I start?! It may seem like a ridiculous question but I'm truly clueless lol
  2. Senior Member
    I recently bookmarked this website, as I am going to have to go through all of this after I get married next week. I'm pretty sure it covers most everything. Hope it helps!
  3. Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure you just need to bring your marriage certificate to the social security office, and then once you get proof of your new name from them, you can go to the DMV.
  4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I took my marriage license to the DMV and got my license changed over. Once I had that, I went to social security and had to show them my marriage certificate and new drivers license.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    I took my marriage license to the DMV and got my license changed over. Once I had that, I went to social security and had to show them my marriage certificate and new drivers license.
    OP, you might want to check with your specific state. The DMV in Florida wouldn't let me change my name on my license before having proof from social security
  6. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    OP, you might want to check with your specific state. The DMV in Florida wouldn't let me change my name on my license before having proof from social security
    yeah that'd probably be your best bet, because social security in NY wouldn't let me change my social security card over until I had my license changed over

7. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Once I got my military ID, which had my married name on it, I went to the Social Security office with that and my certified marriage certificate. I then contacted credit card companies for my mame changed, and all they needed was a photocopy of my marriage certificate. When I went back home for a visit a few months later, that is when I updated my drivers license.
  8. Senior Member
    Okay, I took my marriage license and old SS card to the Social Security office, then had to wait for that to come in the mail, which was only a couple of weeks, I think. Then I got my military ID. Aaaand I still haven't gotten my license changed
  9. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I'm pretty sure you just need to bring your marriage certificate to the social security office, and then once you get proof of your new name from them, you can go to the DMV.
    This is how it normally works.

Although, for me personally I had my new last name on everything even a credit card before making it the social security office.
    Signature removed due to size.
  10. I got soul but I'm not a soldier ♥
    I got soul but I'm not a soldier ♥
    I don't know what it was in Ohio, but I changed my SS first because that made sense before changing my name on my driver's license. I just brought my marriage certificate. The SS office was VERY busy, though, I think I ended up waiting nearly an hour. Once I got back there, though, changing everything wasn't a problem.
    live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you no one would believe it ♥
    coffee addict!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast