Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I being overly sensitive?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Question Am I being overly sensitive?

Advertisements
    I don't think I am but I wanted to your opinions. DB has a weird sense of humor and likes to joke about him leaving me or us breaking up. I don't find it funny at all. I asked him to stop and he has but it made me insecure in our relationship and he doesn't understand why. He thinks I don't have a sense of humor and I think his jokes are mean.

I'm not being overly sensitive, am I? He said that since I know they're jokes, I shouldn't let it bother me.
  2. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I think putting aside the fact that it bothers you....no, I don't think you should be worried about what that means for the future of your relationship based off of that particular "joke." DH and I joke all the time about getting divorced, but that's so far from the truth

That being said, since it does bother you, and you've made that clear, I find it a bit insensitive of him to continue to "joke" around like that, since he's aware you don't find it to be funny.

3. Senior Member
    Not at all. Everyone has a different perspective and different sense of humor. I don't think I would enjoy hub joking about leaving me. :/ I probably wouldn't mind it once in a LONG while and I may laugh with him, but I think I would feel hurt too!
  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I don't think you are. Once in awhile when I'm joking around with DH I'll say things like, "Why did I marry you?" or "This marriage is now over." But just like anything in a relationship, it takes two people & if both of you don't have the same sense of humor then obviously those types of comments are going to hurt you, whether he means for them to or not. You have every right to feel how you feel. And I think it's disrespectful of him to continue joking like that knowing that you don't like it.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. Senior Member
    I do think you're being oversensitive, but I think he's also being a little insensitive to continue joking about it whilst knowing it bothers you.

I used to say stuff like that all the time to DH but he told me it bothered him so I stopped. Yeah, that's my sense of humor and I think it's funny, but it hurts his feelings so I don't joke about it anymore to be respectful of that.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    I think putting aside the fact that it bothers you....no, I don't think you should be worried about what that means for the future of your relationship based off of that particular "joke." DH and I joke all the time about getting divorced, but that's so far from the truth

That being said, since it does bother you, and you've made that clear, I find it a bit insensitive of him to continue to "joke" around like that, since he's aware you don't find it to be funny.

I think if it was a once in a while type of thing, it wouldn't bother me so much but he does it quite often. It's been getting to me and it makes me worry that he's actually going to leave me since he jokes about it so often.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    He just said that he's gonna do his best to treat me with more respect
  8. Banned
    Banned
    I would be hurt as well if DF joked in such a fashion after knowing how it bothered me.

Did you ask him why he finds it amusing?
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think that would be a huge issue in a relationship, personally.,

My mom has told me how she had a hard time dealing with my dad's sense of humor, she almost broke up with him becasue of it. Her mom talked her out of that saying "He's just a jokester, he loves you"

To this day, his "sense of humor" is nothing but mean and embarrassing. He doesn't mean it that way, but it comes off that way.

The good thing though is you asked him to stop, and he did, right? I think that is a great sign and shows you don't have too much to worry about. you are not being overly sensitive.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    I would be hurt as well if DF joked in such a fashion after knowing how it bothered me.

Did you ask him why he finds it amusing?
    yeah. he just jokes around and he says it won't happen so he doesn't know why I take it so seriously. I should just clarify that once I told DB how much it bothered me, he did stop but he doesn't understand why it bothers me so much. I just wanted opinions on if I'm wrong or not.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast