Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It True?

1. Senior Member

Is It True?

Advertisements
    Recently I've been reading a few books written specifically for wives/gf's of military members and women in the military basically giving the reader an idea of what to expect from "military life", so to speak. So far, both of the books I've read have talked about how important it is for spouses to be social and how significant that is to advancing your SO's career in the military. Of course, they advise the reader to seek out friends, etc. But this particular issue is more specifically directed towards being social like throwing parties and mingling a lot, etc.

Does anyone have some insight into whether or not this is true? And, if so, how important is it really?

I guess I'm a little concerned because I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a social butterfly. I actually really don't enjoy large groups of people and I'm very introverted. I'm sure there must be other introverts out there in this forum?

Thanks for any contributions you can make =)
    "...so have I chosen, both the sweet and the bitter."
    -tolkien-
  2. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    It's not required... Shit like that probably doesn't matter until your husband is in the higher ranks, or an officer. My behavior held no bearing on whether DH passed the advancement test or not..

I'd say being involved in the command stuff (FRG, etc) is probably a good move so that you look like a supportive, unified family... but by no means do I think it's "essential" for someones success in the military. You'll find your niche. You'll find your friends and likely, they'll just be your husbands friends wives. Good luck!
  3. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    I can also promise you that aside from saying "I'm watching the game with pizza and beer at our house, come over if you want" I willnot be throwing any "fancier" of a party than that, and BBQ's.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    it is not required. I do not socialize at all with anyone from Dh's command and never really have.
  5. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    If someone said that to me, I would tell them to kiss my ass.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  6. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawWoman. View Post
    I can also promise you that aside from saying "I'm watching the game with pizza and beer at our house, come over if you want" I willnot be throwing any "fancier" of a party than that, and BBQ's.
    Don't forget the white gloves!
  7. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    Don't forget the white gloves!
    I KNEW I WAS FORGETTING SOMETHING!!!
  8. Senior Member
    Both of my half-parents (my best friend's parents) were LTCs and throwing parties did not determine their advancements. When C (my friend's mom) taught some classes for captains she would throw like a little party for the captains graduating but that was about it. I can assure you there were no fancy career determining parties going on at the house
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't think that it's completely true, not in the military of today. It was very different when my grandfather was in the military than it is now, with my husband being active duty.

It is a reality that being social is the equivalent of networking of a sort in the military, and the longer your SO is in the military, you find the military is a very small world. The higher up the ranks you go, "knowing" people can be of benefit.
    Last edited by Lynn; 06-11-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling boo-boo
  10. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Encouraged but not required. Maybe different for O wives from what my husband once explained to me.

Personally, I am very shy and I prefer to sit in the background and observe a lot. My husband reminded me that because of his new rank, I will have to get used to socialize more, attend social events and all that jazz. Petrifies me. I am def. an E wife at heart!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast