Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Housing help!!!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Housing help!!!

Advertisements
    Okay!! Chris and I and having a debate!! He wants so bad to live off base and I wanna live on base!! I'm moving up there finally when he gets done with his deployment. Needless to say I'm having to do all the work!!! I need pros and cons to on base versus off base housing!!! Please!!!
  2. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    It depends on the base & the area off base.
    The only reason we live on base is because I refused to live off base anymore when my truck got broken into.

Also, . Be sure to introduce yourself in the Newbie section

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  3. ♥Live♥Laugh♥Love♥
    ♥Live♥Laugh♥Love♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    It depends on the base & the area off base.
    The only reason we live on base is because I refused to live off base anymore when my truck got broken into.

Also, . Be sure to introduce yourself in the Newbie section
  4. Senior Member
    Here is my pro list (based on my experience)

Pro's of on-base:
    utilities are included
    no security deposit
    depending on the location you can have a pet without a deposit
    you in live in a community with a bunch of families in the same position as you (having a spouse in the military)
    it is a homey environment
    some locations are actually on the base so there is security

Pro's off base
    if you can find a place that is cheaper then BAH you can save extra money
    you have more felxibility to live closer to shopping/ restaurants etc
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you, ladies!!
    Mrs. 7, I can't tell you how many ladies have told me one and time again that they've been robbed while living of base!!! That blows my mind!!
  6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingForHim28 View Post
    Thank you, ladies!!
    Mrs. 7, I can't tell you how many ladies have told me one and time again that they've been robbed while living of base!!! That blows my mind!!
    I've actually heard of a lot more robberies ON base than off here.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. Senior Member
    last location I chose to live off base to save money and to be closer to shopping, etc. I also had a job, so I had a way to make friends and have a social life. This time I am living on base because housing here is more equivelent (sp) to the BAH, so I think it would be cheaper to live in military housing (it is not on the base), not to mention the house is much larger then anything we could afford. I also think this is a good way for me to meet people since I am staying home to be with baby. I heard of car break-ins on and off bases, but I have not heard of house robberies (I am sure they have happened, but not where I was).

If you feel more safe on base, then go for it. It always came to the fact that I was mostly the one staying home since it was mostly up to me. Good luck choosing! Home hunting can be fun!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We usually choose on base mainly because it's close enough for dh to walk to work and usually be able to come home for lunch.
  9. Senior Member
    We have never even considered living on base, even when we moved overseas. It's not for us. I hate the small town-ness of it, where every one knows everyone else's business. I'm on a couple FB groups for our base and the base we think we are going next, and there are constantly posts about people not controlling their children, pettiness about someone not returning the shopping carts used to carry groceries up in the tower building, etc. Everyone is in everyone else's business, and I also think that on base, people tend to let kids roam unsupervised, or leave messes, or things of that nature, because they feel like everyone is family or something. There are so many complaints about noise and driving and kids and pets, and I never experience any of those problems off base.

People are constantly just dropping by each other's houses and I would hate that. I like the privacy that off base offers me, and I like not being part of DH's work during our family time.

Also, there is a lot more crime on base than off in this area and our next possible station (both are OCONUS).

I will say that it also depends on what your BAH will get you. Based on DH's rank and our family size (just the two of us), we'd get a smaller house on base than off in most CONOUS locations, and here I think we'd get a place of about the same size, but much older and institutional feeling (concrete walls, metal counters and cabinets, etc.)

We also wanted to buy a place, so of course off base is the only option for that.

Stateside, our BAH was enough to get us a decent house in a very safe neighborhood. If it would have bought us a tiny place or a bad neighborhood, then I suppose we might have considered living on base, though I'd be willing to pay something out of pocket to avoid that.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    I think it depends on a number of things. For us where we are currently stationed, it made more since for use to be on base. With the high cost of utilities, and the rundown town with high crime and a high number of registered sex offenders, it wasn't even an option for us to live in town. Not t mention this house we are in now is 10000000x better than anything that would have been within price, not including utilities.

However, at our last base we lived in town because we had a great deal on a really nice house, and we were able to have everything covered under BAH.

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast